ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Karis' godmother/sometime stone backup dies Return to archive
02-19-04 09:45 PM
lovelymocca Doris Troy dies. She sang on some of the stones records, and was good friends with Marsha Hunt, who is Micks eldest daughter Karis'mother. She was also Karis' godmother. (it was reported)

Born Doris Payne in Harlem, New York, Troy did not restrict herself to R&B. Her distinctive vocals graced the Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want," Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and Dusty Springfield's "In the Middle of Nowhere," among other classics. During her career, Troy recorded for the Calla, Capitol and Apple labels. On a British tour in 1965, her backing band included Reginald Dwight (who became Sir Elton John).

Also a talented actress, Troy was the inspiration for the award-winning black gospel musical "Mama, I Want to Sing." She played her own mother in the long-running play, which was co-written by her sister, Vy Higgensen, an air personality for WBLS in New York.

02-20-04 12:58 AM
JaggaRichards Didn't she also do the song 'Just One Look'?
02-20-04 03:49 AM
Prodigal Son Yes, I believe that was here:

Just one look
And I felt so high (?) I-I
In love, with you
Oh-oh, Oh-oh
A good R&B song later butchered by a British Invasion band, the Hollies, a band with many crappy moments to stand besides their pop classics ("He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother," bleeecch).
02-20-04 08:00 AM
Maxlugar IMPORTANT QUESTION!

What did she die from and can it be cured?

So we don't have to go through this 'gin, ya know?

02-20-04 08:41 AM
glencar She was more popular in Old Blighty than in her own country. She was 67 so I guess she died of old age.
02-20-04 04:33 PM
Gazza >She was more popular in Old Blighty than in her own country. She was 67 so I guess she died of old age.

I think Bill Wyman will be looking to kick the shit out of you for that last sentence!!!
02-20-04 04:49 PM
glencar LOL I just didn't read what caused her death in the obit I read. "Just One Look" does contain an incredible vocal though.
02-20-04 04:55 PM
Poplar
to answer your question - looks like she was a smoker.

Doris Troy, a soul singer who penned the hit "Just One Look'' and whose life inspired the long-running touring musical "Mama, I Want to Sing,'' has died. She was 67.

Troy died of emphysema Monday at a Las Vegas hospital.

Troy also worked as one of the background singers on Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon'' and on the Rolling Stones song, "You Can't Always Get What You Want.''

The musical "Mama I Want to Sing'' was based on Troy's life. Troy sang the role of her mother Geraldine, touring in the show from 1984 to 1998.

02-20-04 05:00 PM
glencar Cigarettes suck.
02-20-04 05:14 PM
Poplar
yes - they do. so i don't smoke 'em.
if only i could stay away from the other smokable. i don't wanna go like that.

02-20-04 05:32 PM
Gazza >Troy also worked as one of the background singers on Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon''

ah yeah,of course. That was her doing the high singin' on "Great Gig in the sky" wasnt it?

How apt.

BEST VIEWED HIGH