ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Haitian Divorce (Steely Dan Content) Return to archive
02-19-04 03:37 PM
Child of the Moon So I've been reading a lot about the Dan, and I'm wondering exactly where I should start when it comes to buying their material. I've read what the critics think, now I wanna hear from the fans (Joey, that means you). What do y'all think?
02-19-04 04:13 PM
Joey " I've read what the critics think, now I wanna hear from the fans (Joey, that means you). What do y'all think? "

Son ..........................................

My Baby Steelie asked the same question last summer .

I mentioned to him that he should purchase " The Royale Scam " ( circa 1976 ) .

My Baby Steelie was not disappointed as he likes " Riffy " tunes .

Word !

J.
02-19-04 04:18 PM
jb I think "Asia" is their finest album.....I love that song "Deacon Blues"
02-19-04 04:27 PM
nankerphelge Pretzle Logic and Katie Lied are also very nice!

I like Gaucho too.

But their Greatest Hits is a nice collection of a lot of their stuff -- some well known, some not so well known!

02-19-04 04:29 PM
jb I remember going to the Roller-skating ring in the mid to late 70's and they would always play 'Ricky don't lose that number".....I would speed up at times during the song.
02-19-04 05:00 PM
Joey " I think " AJA " is their finest album.....I love that song "Deacon Blues" "

I wish they would have played that one last summer !

This Brother is free :

This is the day
Of the expanding man
That shape is my shade
There where I used to stand
It seems like only yesterday
I gazed through the glass
At ramblers
Wild gamblers
That's all in the past

You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line

I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

My back to the wall
A victim of laughing chance
This is for me
The essence of true romance
Sharing the things we know and love
With those of my kind
Libations
Sensations
That stagger the mind

I crawl like a viper
Through these suburban streets
Make love to these women
Languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home

This is the night
Of the expanding the man
I take one last drag
As I approach the stand
I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be

YES !!!!

02-19-04 05:37 PM
ResidentMule i'm a huge fan of steely dan. saw them this summer. anyone have any bootlegs of theirs?

as far as buying their stuff, I'd say buy it all sooner or later, but Aja's the best album. can't go wrong with A Decade of Steely Dan

FM (not released on another album)
My Old School
Hey Nineteen
Kid Charlemagne
Peg
Reelin In The Years

great fucking tunes and possibly the best concert I've ever been to
02-19-04 05:39 PM
ResidentMule Joey, when/where did you see them last summer?
[Edited by ResidentMule]
02-19-04 05:53 PM
glencar If "Who's Next" had never been made, I'd say Steely Dan was better than the Who. They are better than Cheap Trick, I guess. I like "My Old School" and most of "Asia"(sic) but the recent stuff sucks.
02-20-04 03:39 AM
Prodigal Son Where to start? Well, it all depends on what side of Steely Dan you like.
Rock-By all means their first one, Can't Buy a Thrill, which includes the most of this. Only average cuts are "Dirty Work" and "Brooklyn" (David Palmer's singing doesn't quite fit the tunes), but the rest is superb. High point: Tie between electric sitar solo on "Do it Again" and chord progression middle of "Turn That Heartbeat Over Again."
Jazz-Aja all the way. Every song is pretty great. The licks and feel may get too slick and tasty for ya, but it's gold almost all the way through. High point: Steve Gadd's drumming on "Aja."
A little bit of all-Pretzel Logic has got EVERYTHING. There's California-styled 70s rock, funk, R&B, jazz (fusion, jazz-rock, even trad-jazz with "East St. Louis Toodle-oo"), country, folky rock, pop and blues.
My own personal rankings by my taste, would be recommended as such:
1. Pretzel Logic
2. Aja
3. Can't Buy a Thrill
4. Countdown to Ecstasy-Here, they branch into more jazzy territory than the first thanks to the 50s rockabilly song that gets a jazzy flavour added in, "Bodhistava." "Your Gold Teeth" is great experimental stuff, and the beginning to "The Boston Rag" an otherwise folk-rock song, is fusion-like. But every song, except "Razor Boy," is absolutely fantastic. "Showbiz Kids" is awesome blues, "My Old School" is a soul romp, "Pearl of the Quarter" is a lonely country tune while "King of the World" is like jazzy proto-disco or something. High point: THe demented soloings of electric piano to kick off "Your Gold Teeth."
5. Katy Lied-Cleanest sound of all their records, this one has only a few okay cuts such as "Everyone's Gone to the Movies," and "Throw Back the Little Ones." "Black Friday" is fast-paced blues rock, "Bad Sneakers" is a delicate jazz-pop one with cool electric sitar licks, "Rose Darling" is more poppy than the rest but is exciting nonetheless (with very prominent vocals from the then 23-year old future phenom known as Michael McDonald-what a fool believes, baby!!!, lol). "Daddy Don't Live in that NYC No More" is another showing of their blues-rock abilities. "Your Gold Teeth II" is jazzy like the first one but has a time change leading out of the intro. "Chain Lightning" is a sly, subtle bluesy song with cool guitar from Rick Derringer while "Any World That I'm Welcome to" is a paranoid rock song typical of California rock of the 70s but this one is lacking something to make it great. High point: THe chorus of "Bad Sneakers" which segues into some seductively cool jazz-rock.
6. The Royal Scam-This was as weird and guitar-oriented as they got. "Kid Charlemagne" is a great R&B opener with fantastic guitar work by Larry Carlton. "Caves of Alatamira" is another jazzy song that incorporates soulful horns and is another twisted masterpiece, as is "Sign in Stranger" which has more heavy lead guitar and the customary soulful horns to add to a snappy bluesy track. "Don't Take Me Alive" is all jazz-rock with rock guitar that blows the song into higher proportions. Then comes a bizarre light jazz joke song with "The Fez" which is interesting for its light-hearted demented riffs and awesome guitaring, both jazzy and hard rocking at the same time. Same goes for the oddball fusion of "Green Earrings." They dive into reggae with "Haitian Divorce" which is just a slick and cunning song that I think is underrated and the talkbox guitar is very effective. "Everything You Did" is another lounge-like jazzy rocker but is perhaps the most biting song on the whole album and it concludes with the mysterious cynical title track which has some creepy backgrounds with the horns, bass and repeated guitar lines. High point: Tie. The horn-dominated romp at the end of "Sign in Stranger" that includes some wild playing of the gee-tar and the talkbox soloing toward the end of "Haitian Divorce."
7. Gaucho-I don't listen to the next 3 all that much. I just know they have some shining moments but a general lack of ideas that make it sound more stiff and boring than the usual Dan record. Aja was their creative and commercial peak. However, I do enjoy Donald Fagen's THe Nightfly, sort of a more updated, commercial and mechanic version of Aja.
8. Two Against Nature
9. Everything Must Go
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
02-20-04 06:33 AM
bez85 Save your money!
02-20-04 09:39 AM
Joey " Joey, when/where did you see them last summer? "

Denver , August 4th , 2003 .

Although I have heard that the " September Roseland Gigs " were absolutely spectacular ...........

P.S. Cornelius Bumpus ( of Doobie Brothers / Steely Dan fame ) died last week .

R.I.P. old friend !!!!!!!!

J.

[Edited by Joey]
02-20-04 11:46 AM
ResidentMule Holmdel NJ August 17th. Hey Nineteen alone made it an amazing show. how about that drummer? I'm looking all over now to get this show on bootleg, or any other ones
and I heard about Cornelius Bumpus, very sad
02-20-04 12:20 PM
Nasty Habits Since this is a Stones board, and you're obviously a Stones fan, I assume that you would come at the Steely Dan albums from a perspective somewhat related to the Stones sound, which means you probably like rough edges and a little bit of body-blow to your rock music - and that slickness in and of itself is not necessarily a virtue. If you want actual rockin' albums with good guitar and dark, arcane songs and not overly slick fake rock jazz shit, stop immediately after Aja.

Their best period is from Countdown to Ecstasy to Katie Lied - three albums that are a kind of peak of a certain type of seventies rock. They're where any self respecting rock and roller would start to see if the Dan makes him or her happy or makes them want to puke. Both reactions are legit and likely. Post Aja-Dan makes ME puke, that's for sure, and post-comeback Dan makes me run to the bathroom holding the back of my pants praying I don't have an accident.

Countdown to Ecstasy is the best "Skunk" record, with lots of great guitar and weird cryptic shit like "The Boston Rag" and "Razor Boy" and hilarious stuff like "Showbiz Kids" and "My Old School".

The best Dan record is Pretzel Logic - so many good songs it's almost like a Rolling Stones record -- not only big ones like the title track and that song about lost numbers, but also obscurities like the incredible "Charlie Freak" and their gorgeous cover of "East St. Louis Toodle-OO".

Katy Lied was the last Steely Dan album to have any actual rock "mystique" - "Black Friday" and "Doctor Woo" really do pack a punch.

You might also want to try the Nightfly, which is a Fagen solo record but has his best post-Aja collection of songs.
02-20-04 02:42 PM
beautifulsurvivor Everyone should attend a Steely Dan concert at least once in their lives - though they are few and far between. They are *perfect* in concert. Unbelievable.

They're my other favorite band. I have all their albums. Hard to pick a favorite. I'll agree with Joey that Royal Scam is right up there...Aja is their masterpiece I think.

Their latest, Two Against Nature (grammy winner) and Everything Must Go are both incredible albums - and completely different. The title track on EMG is amazing. Walt Weiskopf on sax will blow you away. Keith Carlock on drums for that album - he's a monster. He toured with SD last summer and is now playing with Sting.

Steely Dan is an adventure in listening. The music most often doesn't match the lyrics. And the lyrics are always a trip.

For SD novices, FM, My Old School, Josie, Peg, etc. are just appetizers. Check out "deeper cuts" like Haitian Divorce, Time Out of Mind, Home at Last, Chain Lightning, Fire in the Hole, Gaslighting Abby...

Need more info about SD?
try www.banyantrees.net
and/or
www.dandom.com

"it's high time for a walk on the real side..."
02-20-04 02:44 PM
glencar "Grammy winner" is supposed to give them street cred? Try again, mi amigo.
02-20-04 02:56 PM
beautifulsurvivor ok, ok, i guess "grammy winner" doesn't mean what it used to...i was just happy they were recognized. they're such amazing musicians and writers. Two Against Nature is awesome. And just like most SD albums, it takes a few listens to really get into it. The more listen, the more you like.

they did beat out Eminem that year (for whatever that's worth)...lol

i forgot to mention Fagen's other solo album "Kamikiriad"...it's crisp, yet funky

and a great live cd is from the Beacon Theater about 10-12 years ago called "Rock n Soul Review"...it's not really SD...it's Donald Fagen, Michael McDonald, Drew Zing, Boz Scaggs, Phoebe Snow, Cornelius Bumpus and others
02-20-04 03:00 PM
glencar Actually "Grammy winner" means more now than it did 25 years ago. At least now they occasionally get it right. I'm just not a big Dan fan but you are so I'll leave you to it. Me, I'll just switch the radio most times.
02-20-04 03:46 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
stop immediately after Aja.

you don't wanna miss out on Hey Nineteen though. the Greatest Hits will suffice for that, but don't neglect that era entirely
02-20-04 04:54 PM
beautifulsurvivor open your mind - open your ears - don't stop listening after Aja - there's so much more

joey? joey? help me out here...

did my avatar show up?
02-20-04 05:35 PM
Joey

I love Steely Dan !!!!!

W- W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?!?!?!?!

Oh , sure :

http://www.steelydan.com/emgband.html

Jacky Dan !!!!!!!!!!!
02-20-04 05:37 PM
throbby Hey Nasty! Enjoy reading your words!
02-20-04 05:42 PM
Joey " Post Aja-Dan makes ME puke, that's for sure, and post-comeback Dan makes me run to the bathroom holding the back of my pants praying I don't have an accident. "

Funny !!!! I get the same reaction after listening to Jeff Beck !

JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JA JAC JACK JACKY !

JACKY !
02-20-04 05:53 PM
Sleazy Hugh
quote:
Joey wrote:
" Post Aja-Dan makes ME puke, that's for sure, and post-comeback Dan makes me run to the bathroom holding the back of my pants praying I don't have an accident. "

Funny !!!! I get the same reaction after listening to Jeff Beck !

An-an-an-other flush of the TRUTH for the Ja-Ja-Jack-OLA!

And now . . . this!

"H-h-h-h-Hugh Are You?
Hugh Hugh Hugh Hugh!
H-h-h-h-h-Hugh are You?
Hugh Hugh Hugh HUGE!"

T-t-t-talkin' b-b-b-bout my gender-ation!

02-20-04 05:55 PM
Joey

Hugh ...........Stay far away from me please !

Damn you frighten young Joey something fierce . WHY ?!?!

" Have you hugged your Hugh Today Ronnie ? "

Jerky !
02-20-04 05:57 PM
Sleazy Hugh Perhaps I touch upon some of your unresolved childhood issues.
02-20-04 06:04 PM
Joey " Perhaps I touch upon some of your unresolved childhood issues. "

C- C- C- C- C- Come to Joey ..........................

02-20-04 06:04 PM
glencar Congrats on your 6700th post, lil Joey.

BEST VIEWED HIGH