ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Late Rolling Stone loses street-name tribute in Britain Return to archive
02-17-04 06:58 PM
Mikey http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/lifestyle_music_britain
02-17-04 07:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah. I don't know why they didn't do it, too bad. But You just got to get mad and not take it anymore.

Howard Beale, Mad Prophet of the Airwaves
Hello all,

An astute reader suggested Peter Finch would have been funnier than Steve Allen. I can't say I disagree.

Peter Finch played Howard Beale, the suicidal anchorman from the movie "Network." Since this is the source of the phrase, "the angry man bit," I thought I'd share some of his better lines from that movie.

"I would like at this moment to announce that I will be retiring from this program in two weeks time because of poor ratings. Since this show is the only thing I had going for me in my life, I've decided to kill myself. I'm going to blow my brains out right on this program a week from today. So tune in next Tuesday. That should give the public relations people a week to promote the show. You ought to get a hell of a rating out of that. Fifty share, easy."

"Yesterday I announced on this program that I was going to commit public suicide. Admittedly an act of madness. Well, I'll tell you what happened: I just ran out of bullshit."

"All human beings are becoming humanoids. All over the world, not just in America. We're just getting there faster since we're the most advanced country."

"We'll tell you anything you want to hear, we lie like hell."

"You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here, you're beginning to believe that the tube is reality and your own lives are unreal! You do! Why, whatever the tube tells you: you dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even think like the tube! This is mass madness, you maniacs! In God's name, you people are the real thing, WE are the illusion!"

"Television is not the truth! Television is a goddamned amusement park!"

"Right now, there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube! This tube is the gospel, the ultimate revelation; this tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers; this tube is the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people, and that's why woe is us that Edward George Ruddy died. Because this company is now in the hands of CCA, the Communications Corporation of America; there's a new chairman of the board, a man called Frank Hackett, sitting in Mr. Ruddy's office on the twentieth floor. And when the 12th largest company in the world controls the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, who knows what shit will be peddled for truth on this network!?"

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad... Everybody's out of work, or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth, banks are going bust, shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter, punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it."

"All I know is, you've got to get mad! You've got to say, 'I'm a human being, goddamn it! My life has value!'"

"I want you to go to the window, open it, stick your head out and yell: 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!'"

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
02-17-04 07:54 PM
stonedinaustralia yes finch did a fine job in "network"

i don't now if he was jewish or not but he was australian (so he had that going for him)
02-17-04 11:09 PM
J.J.Flash I have posted an article concerning this subject few months ago, but nobody gave a shit. I don't think that the situation has changed to much. So, unfortunately, our Brian couldn't get it. I think he really deserves a reverence like that.

BEST VIEWED HIGH