ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie Wood Question Return to archive
02-16-04 07:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Does anyone know the exact date that Woody officially joined the band? Or at least a date close enough.
02-16-04 10:52 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy In between the break between The Americas '75 and Europe '76, wasn't it? He was just "filling in" in '75, but then Rod left the Faces, leaving him free to go to the Stones full-time.

-tSYX --- I've got my own album to do...
02-16-04 10:59 AM
Jumacfly TSYX, always first on ronnie 's news!!! you rule buddie!!
02-16-04 12:32 PM
T&A He didn't become a band member, per se, until the early 90's.
02-16-04 12:51 PM
mac_daddy you are both correct, I think...

the way I understand it, he joined the lineup sometime between the TOTA and the 76 European tour. On the TOTA, he was in the "with" category with Billy and Ollie. This was due, in large part, to the fact that Ronnie couldn't officially join the Stones because he was legally tied to the Faces. When Rod Stewart bailed, all bets were off with the Faces, and Ronnie became a part of the lineup, like Mick Taylor was before him...

in the early 90s (around the tme of Voodoo Lounge, I think, he was made an equal financial partner with the band. This means, I suppose, that from then on, everything that the band did was finacially split equally amongst the principals - 4 ways...

02-16-04 03:14 PM
Jaxx "....Mick's (Taylor) wife Rose told me he was dissillusioned with the Stones, mostly because he was not encouraged to write songs--the strangelhold of Mick and Keith was too strong. I understood exactly how he felt. Rose said Mick was going to join another rock band, Free. As we entered the studio to record the album Black and Blue in Munich that month(December), Mick quit. We thought he was possibly bluffing to demonstrate his frustrations, but we accepted the resignation, even though it left us in a quandary--we had to cut an album and tour America. Competition for the position of STones guitarist was enourmous; guitarists who came to record with us included Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Wayne PErkins and Harvey Mandel. Stu and I suggested Peter Frampton, an old friend and gifted musician, and even Eric Clapton was mentioned. Among those who moved in to fill the temporary void on the Black and Blue album session was Ron Wood alongside Rod Stewart in the Faces. AFter four months of negotioations, on 14 April 1975, Ron was confirmed our new Man. He brought musical vitality and a powerful, likeable personality into our ranks. Crucially, too, Ron has always been a positive influence in soothing trensions in the band."

Bill Wyman, Stone Alone, Page 16 and 17.
02-16-04 03:23 PM
nankerphelge According to Massimo Bonanno's Rolling Stones Chronicles, a formal business meeting was held with Ronnie on January 10, 1976 and it was officially announced that he had joined the Stones on February 28, 1976.

Not sure when he became a financial partner in the band.
02-16-04 04:57 PM
luxury1 Hey--speaking of ROnnie, on Doug's board there is a thread title "Possible Ronnie Sighting" or something to that effect. Anyway, there is the INternational Art Expo at the Javits Center in NYC from Feb.26--March 1, and he may show up on the first day, Doug is reporting. I am thinking of checking out this big ole show--anyone else in the area?
02-16-04 05:44 PM
Gazza I think Nanker is pretty much correct as far as his "official" Stone status is concerned.

On the 1975 Tour of The Americas, Woody was a "guest". He officially joined in early 1976 and of course his nose is quite prominently featured on the front cover of "Black and Blue" released a few weeks later.

However,although a band member from 1976 he wasn't a "partner" until they signed to Virgin in the early 1990's as Macdaddy stated. As far as I recall, he was offered a percentage or a long-term salary when he joined and he opted for the latter deal, presumably because he didnt figure the band would still be going several years later. His choice almost bankrupted him when the band were inactove through most of the late 1980's. I think I read somewhere that was one of the reasons why he started selling paintings.
02-17-04 05:02 AM
Zack But don't you think Ronnie's joining was a bit of a fait accompli by virtue of his learning all those songs and doing all the TOTA shows? It would have been pretty shitty not to give him the gig once he was freed from the Faces after he had made such a huge gesture to "guest" as lead guitarist of the Rolling Stones for an entire tour. Or put another way, didn't have a distinct advantage over superlative players in this sweepstakes because of the tour?

02-17-04 05:08 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Zack wrote:
But don't you think Ronnie's joining was a bit of a fait accompli by virtue of his learning all those songs and doing all the TOTA shows?

"Fait Accompli"??? It'd be interesting to see Ronnie's birth horoscope chart.
02-17-04 06:51 AM
nankerphelge I think Keith had his sights on Ronnie from the start.
The first requirement following the Taylor years was a guitarist that Keith liked and wanted to work with.

Keith went to Ronnie's house to do some recording and didn't leave for like 2 months right!? The smart money was on Ronnie at that point.

Plus he is an easy guy to like, he parties like a Stone, he looks like a Stone, he plays their brand of R&R and plays all that twangy-ass stuff, and he is British.

Unless he tried to steal the show on stage, he was destined for the part!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
02-17-04 07:44 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Unless he tried to steal the show on stage, he was destined for the part!

LOL. Right. Rule #1...Don't mess with the spotlight.
02-18-04 05:04 PM
crb69 I heard Ronnie wasn't (paid as) a full fledged member until the 94/95 VooDoo Lounge Tour!!!!!! Twenty fu*kin' years of apprenticeship mon!!!

The only other similar business arrangements have to be with the band KISS!!! They wanted to pay the other 2(Peter & Ace) something like 2% on the '96 Reunion Tour. I would have told them to fu*k off too Ace!
02-18-04 08:59 PM
glencar Luxury, I'm in the NY area. If he's there on Friday I can see him. The rest of the week, I'm tied up.
02-18-04 10:18 PM
BILL PERKS WOODY WAS CUT IN FINANCIALLY PRIOR TO THE URBAN JUNGLE TOUR WHEN BILL AND CHARLIE SAID THEY WOULDNT DO THE TOUR UNLESS HE WAS CUT IN.HIS FIRST RECORD CONTRACT(STONES) WAS THE ONE SIGNED WITH VIRGIN IN 1991.
02-19-04 01:08 AM
T&A Ronnie didn't leave the Faces to join the TOTA - in fact, he toured with the Faces again in 76.

BEST VIEWED HIGH