ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Memo From Turner 1968 Or 1969 ? Return to archive
02-14-04 05:22 AM
rocky Hi ! Read that "Memo From turner " is recorded 1969,it's this true ?
02-14-04 02:01 PM
J.J.Flash Hi and welcome Rocky!

Well, answering your question, that information is false. Memo from Turner was recorded in 1968, on the Beggars sessions, I think.
02-14-04 02:39 PM
gypsy yeah...1968...cuz they filmed performance that summer...and keith wouldn't help w/ the soundtrack (can't blame him)...so mick had to come up with that one on his own.
02-14-04 04:40 PM
Gazza it was recorded in 1968, just after the "beggars banquet" sessions were finished.

The version in the movie comes from Sept/October and the version on "metamorphosis" dates from November 1968
02-14-04 05:09 PM
glencar Did Keith play on either version or was it Ry Cooder on both?
02-14-04 05:21 PM
throbby The Felix Aeppli book lists Ry Cooder on bottleneck guitar and dulcimer. Keith not listed at all on this track. Actually Feliix says no members of the Stones, other than Jagger, are on this track.

Mick definitely pushed the limits of friendship on the Performance set.
02-14-04 05:40 PM
Gazza Al Kooper is on guitar on the "Metamorphosis" version
02-14-04 05:50 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
throbby wrote:
Mick definitely pushed the limits of friendship on the Performance set.

ain't that the truth.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-14-04 06:47 PM
glencar Doesn't Mick give different vocal styles on the different versions? It seems like the one on "Metamorphosis" is faster & less authoritative.
02-15-04 04:55 AM
rocky hi ! thanks to all for the information, rocky
02-15-04 06:18 PM
corgi37 I get a bit confused with these versions. On the vinyl Decca box set i got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 79, there is a "hard rock" version, that is simply awesome. Very cool guitar. And, of course, the "sleazy" version which is just so wicked. This is just one of those sneaky songs that are covered in myth and secrecy and love. If the band is not on any of the versions, it might explain why it has never been performed live (has it?).
02-15-04 07:12 PM
Gazza Correct - they've never done it live.

as I'm sure you know, it was originally released as a Mick Jagger solo single, not a Stones track.

That would be a real turn-up if they unearthed that one. Cant see it ever happening.

02-16-04 07:04 AM
Mathijs First slow demo version from September 1969: Steve Winwood on guitar, bass, piano, organ and Jim Capaldi on drums. Next three version from November 1969 feature Al Cooper on guitar (together with Winwood and Capaldi). The last of the three versions is the Metamophosis version. The fifth and last version is the Performance version. Ry Cooder is on guitar, and the rest is unknown. According to Jagger, he recorded it with Cooder in 1969, and gave it to Jimmy Miller to "make it sound good". Miller took it to a LA recording studio, and had a whole bunch of session musicians play on it. I remember an article from a session drummer who played on it, and he called some names, and said "there's two drummers, three bass players and five guitarists on it".

Mathijs
02-16-04 11:08 AM
mac_daddy now I am confused...

was the tune recorded in late 1968, around the time the film was made..?

or was it recorded a year later, during the North American tour..?
02-16-04 11:32 AM
GimmeExile Which version was used in Scorsese's "GoodFellas"?
02-16-04 06:01 PM
Gazza Mathijs

Thanks for the info.

according to Nico Zentgraf's site - which like me I'm sure you'd consider a pretty reliable source - it was cut in late 1968.

http://www.nzentgraf.de/books/tcw/works1.htm

there's nothing there listed under 1969, although I guess its perfectly believable that overdubs may have been done then (without Mick of course)

"Performance" was filmed in late summer 1968. As far as I'm aware the song would have been written around that time (Keith's absence from writing it or working on it being probably linked to him catching Mick fucking Anita during the filming). This would tie in with a recording date of 1968

Weird thing is, what you said about the "performance" version being cut after the "metamorphosis" makes perfect sense. The solo version with Cooder just sounds more "polished" (even allowing for later overdubs) whereas the Metamorphosis version sounds a lot rougher and slightly unfinished.

Gimmeexile wrote>Which version was used in Scorsese's "GoodFellas"?

Without checkin' the DVD I have sittin' here, I'd imagine its the "Performance" version by Mick with Ry Cooder on slide. The Stones version on "Metamorphosis" is much less known and sounds more unfinished.

[Edited by Gazza]
02-16-04 06:19 PM
mac_daddy I just finished reading this section of Charone's book the other night, and she writes that Performance was filmed August - fall 1968, which falls right in line with Gazza's last post...

I would think the song had to be finished, because it is in the film (where the old guys strip and diddle themselves), so I assume the Memo scene was filmed at the same time as the rest of the movie. It is the Ry Cooder/mystery band version that is in the film, correct..?

plus Charone mentions that the film was ready to be released in 69, but pushed back to 70 (after some serious editing by the studio). But if it was ready in 69, I assume the track was completed by then, too...

______

I remember a header pic here once upon a time of a painting of Brian, posed like he was on the cover of High Tide - Big Grass, that Cammell had in his home... the background was orange. I had saved it, but I cannot put my finger on it now... that guy (Cammell) was a trip - did anyone ever see any of his other flicks..?

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-17-04 03:34 PM
chrisloc as I said before, take a look at:
http://www.winwoodfans.com/cs/csrumor.htm#Rolling2

Chris
02-17-04 03:40 PM
glencar It's amazing that there really isn't a definitive answer.
02-18-04 02:12 PM
chrisloc definitive answer ??

Rolling Stones: "Memo From Turner" (1968) on Metamorphosis (6/6/1975) - Resolved!

Selected discography:
LP / Decca / SKL 5212 / UK
LP / ABKCO / ANA 1 / US
CD / ABKCO / 90062 / US (8/27/2002)

Resolution: Steve Winwood has personally communicated that he did not perform on this song (many thanks to Steve Winwood, 10/2002).

That means official release and outtakes.

Christian

BEST VIEWED HIGH