ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Letting MT go Return to archive
02-12-04 06:39 PM
kahoosier Ok, on IORR there is a post about the worst mistakes the Stones have made. One poster says it is letting Mick Taylor go.

Letting MT go?? Since he is a free human being and left of his own volition, what would you suggest, chaining him up in a basement and throwing him meat? I just do not get it, I credit him for what he did, but he was only there about 5 years, did some of their best, but also played on Goat's Head Soup and IORR, which are not carreer high points. He was not there for most of LIB, so his "great albums" are Ya- Ya's, Exile, and SF!

He left because he wanted to, and he deserted at a very inoppurtune time, right before a tour causing great inconveniance and showing no loyalty at all. Plus, he had no faith in the band, thinking they were ready to fall apart. So why do so many still have this love affair with a man that dumped on the group and did not believe in them?

02-12-04 07:04 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
so his "great albums" are Ya- Ya's, Exile, and SF!

Not a small accomplihment heh?

02-12-04 07:45 PM
corgi37 Good timing. I was going to post a comment that Taylor made in Uncut mag for Keith's birthday. He stated the main reason he left was that he felt the band were becoming a parady. Really? So the cocaine addiction and lack of songwriting credits had nothing to do with it? I find his comment very strange. He particularly bags Goats Head and IORR. That makes his comments even stranger, as on those albums in particular, his influence is greater than ever. I mean, 100 years ago and Time waits for no one, just as quick examples. Mind you, he had good things to say about the band, unlike Bitter Bill Wyman.
02-12-04 07:46 PM
mac_daddy >>> So why do so many still have this love affair with a man that dumped on the group and did not believe in them?

because he played a smokin' lead guitar...
02-12-04 08:39 PM
kahoosier OK 10,000, I agree no small accomplishment, that is why I say I appreciate what he did. But he aslo did bail out at a bad time and had no faith in the guys he was working with at the time.
02-12-04 09:42 PM
jpenn11 -Songwriting credits "promised" but not delivered
-Keith screaming Taylor's head off during rehearsals
-No tour in '74 for a guy who loved to play and had the stamina for it (playing both Preston's opening set and the Stones show for the '73 Euro tour)

Who let down who?

I know there are fans of BAB, but the album seems like they sleepwalked through it. There are highlights, but it seems to show that they could do highlights in their sleep. If Taylor did not want to be a part of that, it is understandable.

It's also tough to take seriously whatever answer/excuse Taylor gives on any given day to the question of why he left the Stones. He's given different answers at different times and is understandably tired of answering the same question in every interview. Usually we give credit to folks who give up fame or fortune to follow their hearts. Taylor doesn't get enough credit in this regard.

As for his blasting IORR or GHS, that seems no worse than Jagger blasting EOMS or Keith claiming Preston had too much influence in the GHS - BAB years.

Finally, : it's true--Taylor was with them for only five years. It ended about 30 years ago. He's played with them once since then. We should all get over it. Yet, those were some five years . . .

[Edited by jpenn11]
02-13-04 01:33 AM
T&A Hey, the man made a decision that he thought was right for himself at the time - and you what - he was probably right. The guess here is that he would have died long ago had he stayed on - he didn't have the strength that Mick and the others did to continue to lead that lifestyle. I think that was his likely "gut" rationale. let's not forget he was getting screwed for not getting credits for some of his songs - moonlight mile, sway, etc. That would piss me off enough to leave, I'm sure.

So, who can blame the man? The Stones ultimately prospered as a result as well - it's doubtful they'd have had the staying power without a Ronnie injection at the time.

It seems it was a good move for all in hindsight, I would say.
02-13-04 08:18 AM
dealer squealing It was not mistake letting Mick go, he was a boring person and we wouldn´t have had Some Girls and Tattoo You and Undercover if he had not gone
02-13-04 10:44 AM
Jumping Jack Major talent and head case.
02-13-04 07:49 PM
glencar He's quite out of it these days. He can still play but he's not got much stage presence & he spends more time eating & drugging than writing & playing. And as said above, no one could keep him in chains. He wanted to leave; he left.
02-13-04 08:04 PM
Gazza LIB, SF and Exile were great albums primarily because Mick and Keith were still writing great songs. As were Beggars Banquet and JJ Flash which they cut before Mick T joined. What links all those recordings whether they were cut with Brian or Mick taylor or whoever else was around was that they were produced by Jimmy Miller who brought the best out of a great burst of creative songwriting by Mick and Keith. Jimmy was never the same after "Exile" - by all accounts he was pretty burnt out by the time they cut Goats Head Soup.

I dont care how wonderful Mick Taylor's playing was on them (and it WAS terrific) because if the songs werent any good to begin with, theres not much you can do with them. You can't polish a turd.

Great songwriting and inspiration isnt an art that lasts indefinitely. It was there from 1968 to 1972 more than at any time in their career and whilst they still showed it after that, it was more sporadic.

Also, I'd put "Some Girls" up there with any of those Taylor-era albums.
02-14-04 12:13 PM
steel driving hammer The Fat Bastard?
02-14-04 03:02 PM
glencar Steelie, I like your middle sig picture box but I wish it turned a lil slower.
02-15-04 12:53 PM
stickyturd Gazza,
Apparently you haven't heard of the term "coprolite." Look it up on eBay or Google.

You CAN polish a turd.

Russ
02-15-04 01:01 PM
Gazza maybe.... but I bet it doesnt smell or taste any better

Its still a turd.
02-15-04 03:01 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
stickyturd wrote:
You CAN polish a turd.

Yes, but you can't Tune A Fish.
02-15-04 10:04 PM
stickyturd In all seriousness, you can't polish a turd to the point where it tastes good, but I do think you can polish a turd just enough so that it's not that bad.

Example--Dancing With Mr. D from London 9/9/1973. I am one of the many who thinks that song is of suspect quality. BUT, on 9/9/1973 Taylor's guitar makes it very listenable and enjoyable, despite the fact that the song itself isn't anything to write home about.

Russ
02-16-04 05:12 PM
swapwoodfortaylor All I can say is...On my home HiFi is my vinyl 'Live R Than You'll Ever Be' and in the car a CD called (predictablly!) 'Brussels Affair' (for the last 4 months!). Modern blues of a calibre only bettered by Beefheart, in my opinion!
02-16-04 05:34 PM
stewed & Keefed And a very good opinion that is.
02-17-04 06:44 PM
KeithRichards210 Fuck me!! THIS topic still coming up??

Even this Taylorite knows when to just call it a day.
02-17-04 11:37 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE THE DANCIN WIT MR D SOLO FROM 73..IF HE HAD STAYED THEY WOULDNT HAVE PRODUCED THE IMMORTAL DIRTY WORK.

BEST VIEWED HIGH