ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Francesco Scavullo
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Your Favourite Keith Character? Return to archive
02-10-04 09:45 AM
Honky Tonk Man I think this could make a great discussion! The way I see it, since he’s been famous, fans past and present have seen three stages of Keith’s character. I want to get away from the guys playing and just talk about him as a person and an icon.

Mid 60’s Keith

The first we got was a rather dirty looking; scruffy type character that looked undernourished and when interviewed, spoke in almost arrogant tone. This was Keith in his early 20’s. As far as pictures and music goes, this was the first Keith I got to know.

Late 60’s – Late 70’s Keith

Here we have the drugged to the eyeballs and mad twinkle in his eyes Keith. Musically, this is my favourite character. It was all meaty riffs, flared trousers and long black hair. I think this was perhaps when he was at his most photogenic. It was during this period that he truly looked like your stereotypical fucked up 70’s rocker. No one looked quite as dishevelled and so disjointed as him back then, yet it all seemed to fit together. It was perfect.

1980’s – Present Day Keith

Ahhh… now this is my favourite Keith. He came along when he quit heroin. Out went the needles, in came skull rings, the bottle of Jack Daniels (now a glass of vodka and Sunkist) and the permenat burning Marlboro cigarette. This character is still with us to day and is getting more and more greatly exadurated with each passing year. Now we have special pointing sticks to combat rain and coins and fish hooks as hair decoration. I love this Keith to death. Of course, Captain Jack Sparrow is based on this creation.

Alex

02-10-04 10:55 AM
scratched My personal favorite Keith is the late 60s, early 70s one. The scarves, the snakeskin boots, the huge shades. Cooler than Elvis. I'd say that there was another, although brief, manifestation of Keith - the swinging London, dandy, hipster pop-star that all the Stones were about '66 - '67, wearing outrageous clothes and hanging around with art dealers and aristocrats and dropping acid. This is also cool.
02-10-04 11:07 AM
glencar I like the post-heroin guy. At least now he's alive.
02-10-04 02:31 PM
Gazza Mephisto.

Or was that someone else..?
[Edited by Gazza]
02-10-04 03:00 PM
Poplar
something about the early 80's keith always appealed to me. simple... jeans, vest or shirt, before he started getting waify looking. a similar look for steel wheels.

as far as keith's persona, i like the Voodoo/Babylon attitude. keith at that Brooklyn Bridge press conference was Keith at his best. "some hydrogen, eh, some oxygen..."

but hell, keith was, and still is always the coolest.
02-10-04 03:06 PM
Gazza I personally prefer the "Some Girls"/"Emotional rescue" era look myself
02-10-04 04:24 PM
throbby I always liked the look he had during the '69 tour.
02-10-04 06:15 PM
KeithRichards210 I like the Beggars Banquet thru Sticky Fingers look myself. Keef at his photogenic and musical best.
02-10-04 08:20 PM
sammy davis jr. The '72-'73 Keith was the coolest.....the white patch in the hair, the tooth earring, the rotted teeth. I definitely prefer the strung out Keith- musically anyway.
02-11-04 12:41 AM
KeithRichards210
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
The '72-'73 Keith was the coolest.....the white patch in the hair, the tooth earring, the rotted teeth. I definitely prefer the strung out Keith- musically anyway.

Musically, I couldn't agree more. And that was classic Keef!! But he did look a bit more together a year or two previous. Just a little less ragged, but still cool as hell.
02-11-04 02:59 AM
FotiniD Come on Alex, that's a tough one!

If I was really forced to chose under serious threats, then I'd have to say late seventies to very early eighties. He had a very dangerous, "Prince-of-darkness" thing about him back then. Seeing him in clips from that era almost scares me sometimes

But as said, I love every single one of the Keith characters
02-11-04 08:55 PM
stonedinaustralia no doubt the "junkie years look" has that rock and roll cool - but i liked the way he looked circa SG - he got the light back in his eyes after he (more or less) cleaned up instead of them looking like bottomless pools of darkness - having said that he loooks way cool in the faraway eyes clip - still looking quite "heavy" but at the same time with an air of vulnerability about him

we have of course recently discussed his "uncool" looking period in the mid to late '80's - but then he wasn't alone when it came to that - who did look cool in 1986??
02-17-04 09:05 PM
Riff-Hard-Fan I like the 2003 Keef or any Keef for that matter
02-17-04 11:37 PM
Riff-Hard-Fan Elvis never saw the day he was a cool as Keith, How could he be the King????? We got a few Kings here with the Stones!! Rock on Mick, Keith, Charlie and Woody! The crowned Kings of Rock N Roll!

BEST VIEWED HIGH