ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Question.......... Return to archive
02-19-03 10:14 AM
Chico ..........How the f*#k can anyone fail to love Cant You Hear Me Knocking? I guess the answers staring me in the face in my computer lab.The majority of lame-ass coldplay lovin' f@#kers havny even heard it.A nice wee outburst there. Just had to get it off ma chest ye understand. All better now.

And a more serious question. What was the deal when Exile and Goats Head came out? I thought that Exile was received poorly at first but somehow Goats Head was still seen as a major disapointment compared to its predecessor.Was it a critic thing or have I got my "facts" wrong?
[Edited by Chico]
[Edited by Chico]
02-20-03 06:10 AM
corgi37 Exile had no classic stones singles on it. The critics bagged it for a myriad of reasons. I think it was Nick Kent or Charles Shaar Murray (either way i am sure it was NME) that said it was incoherrent, mixed woefully, vocals hard to understand etc. Alot of fans and critics just didnt get it. Where was the killer single? Even keith singing a whole song spun critics out. Within 12 months, the bitches turned full circle. ROlling Stone said elton john's "Goodbye yellow brick road" was the best stones album not recorded by the stones! When goats head came out the same critics said it was not as good as exile. How can you win? Those same critics went on to bag IORR and in particular, black and blue as "not in the same class as exile". I think keith in particular was furious with Shaar-Murray's black and blue review and was gunning for him at one stage (as in, going to speak his mind to him). Some girls, emotional rescue, tattoo you and even undercover were "the best thing they have released since exile. So you see, critics suck. Same as critics today. 2 years ago, anything remotely rock and roll was lambasted. It was all "grunge is dead, its moby all the way baby". Last year, it was eminem. With him getting more and more mainstream acceptance, where does he go from here? attending opening nights in a versace outfit, like ex grunge queen, turned serious actress, turned desperate no body Courtney Love? Now, rock is back in and its all vines, hives, white stripes. When this current back to basics rock revival dies out, and it will, replaced by Nepalese goat herder chants, or Swaheli mating calls backed to a disco beat, or whatever, the music critics will have a tizzy and declare rock is dead (again). Critics are just fashion sluts. Wonder what the silly fucker who said the stones are past it (probably 1st said back in 67 or so) is doing now?
02-20-03 06:22 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Chico wrote:
..........How the f*#k can anyone fail to love Cant You Hear Me Knocking? I guess the answers staring me in the face in my computer lab.The majority of lame-ass coldplay lovin' f@#kers havny even heard it.A nice wee outburst there. Just had to get it off ma chest ye understand. All better now.

And a more serious question. What was the deal when Exile and Goats Head came out? I thought that Exile was received poorly at first but somehow Goats Head was still seen as a major disapointment compared to its predecessor.Was it a critic thing or have I got my "facts" wrong?
[Edited by Chico]
[Edited by Chico]

Quite right Chico! Although over the years both albums racked up huge sales, the general concensus at the time of release for both albums,(especially where the critics were concerned was)....Thumbs down!....BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T REALLY LISTEN TO EITHER ALBUM...Of course since the mid eighties in particular Exile has become a MASTERPIECE. Well! think back to 1984/85 and compare Exile to, Duran Duran, Madonna, Spandau Ballet...no wonder people viewed it in a new light. I just wonder what the likes of Tony Palmer think today when they look back on their rash reviews of Exile in particular?...and I don't care what people say about GHS, I think it was a great, and under appreciated work. Good God! 1973....Alvin Lee, Suzie Quatro, Gary Glitter, Slade& Sweet........Elton John(hair transplanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!)Gimme Goats any day.
02-21-03 03:00 AM
woodywoodpecker Yes I agree,
critics mean shit in my eyes, in some cases they hate the stones music and I dont know why they bother putting pen to paper. Black & Blue has always had mixed reviews, why? Well it's beyond me. It's a fantastic album and I rate it as one of their best. What's great about EXile is the rawness of it, it sounds like the stones jamming in a basement which is exactly what it was, good fun, plug in a play rock n roll!

whatever gets you off is all the matters in the end.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST