ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mmmm... Promo Vinyl. Return to archive
02-18-03 04:32 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Just stopped by my favorite bootleg record shoppe in ye olde Hahhvahd Squayh and picked up the promo (white label) copy of Gimme Some Neck.

"F.U.C. Her" should be listened to by a senior executive before radio play, as it may cause upset among "certain members of the public" or something like that, owing to very sexually explicit lyrics.

How times have changed...

On the other hand... in the notes, there's constant reference to a song called "Tiger Balm". What did that evolve into, or why was it jettisoned? Anyone have a bootleg of it?

(Gimme Some Neck, by the way, is basically a Stones album. It's all four of today's Stones on an album credited to Ronnie Wood, in 1979. A few Stones-worthy tracks on it, but you can't help feeling that Mick oughtta be singing most of it, not Ronnie, whose voice sounds at its worst like Bob Dylan after getting shot in the throat. At it's best, it's a dead-ringer for Keith, though. Ronnie *wrecked* his voice - listen to "Ooh La La", compare to "Rock'n'Roll Star" offa Not For Beginners.)

-tSYX --- Tiger Balm!
02-18-03 11:45 PM
gypsymofo60 I bought that back in '79, liked F.U.C Her, but the rest seemed very disjointed. I kept it for about ten years, and played it about twice. I loved the artwork on it though.
02-19-03 07:19 AM
egon so i shouldn't buy?
02-19-03 07:35 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
egon wrote:
so i shouldn't buy?

The production is *terrible* - an absolute product of the late 70s/early 80s - the drums have that wonderful reverb, but everything sounds like it's reflected back into itself - nothing is loud at all, and it sounds very artificial.

If you can find it used somewhere, it's worth a spin. It has some *great* numbers on it - the cover of "Worry No More", "Buried Alive" (Mick & Keith on vocals along with Ronnie), "Seven Days" and "Infekshun". A few songs you'll listen to and think "Oh, that's nice" and then not bother listening to again, but no real clunkers. The production doesn't make the 'nice' numbers worth listening to, though.

Nothing as punch-packing as "I Can Feel The Fire", a song which I still think should be done live with Mick, Keith and Ronnie all singing, like on the record, with Mick and Keith having a little duet on the bridge (with Keith in place of Ronnie, who most likely can't hit those high notes anymore).

-tSYX --- I can see her in the alley... whacha doin' down there, baby?
02-19-03 07:38 AM
egon thanks yr reply.

it's also on cd right?
02-19-03 08:53 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Yep. It was about $12 new on CD, but if you're in mainland Europe and especially Holland, it'll be, as we say heah in Bahston, "Wicked expensive". You should try and get it used if they ain't sellin' it for around 12-14 Euros.

-tSYX --- I can feel the fire, burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin'...
02-19-03 11:41 AM
egon thanx my young friend

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST