ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Praise for "STILL LIFE"..!!! Return to archive
02-17-03 07:04 PM
MrGlimmerTwin Quite surprised I was,at rediscovering the joys of the "still life" album from '82.
I am used to bad reviews of this album,and general apathy,but lately,I have become a big fan of this underrated gem of a live album.Of course it's not as good as "ya-ya's",but the band is really cookin' on "still life".Bill wyman's bass sound is excellent,the band is really tight,and it's just a great rock'n'roll record.
versions of "time is on my side" and especially "just my imagination" are first rate.The sound like the rolling stones should sound like,guitars meshing sublimely,bill's bass roar in full swing mode,and charlie's knock 'em dead drumming!
I've grown to love this swingin' album(and even the "et's spend the night togethar" movie) ver the past few weeks.
Any other stones nuts rate this album highly?
02-17-03 08:15 PM
T&A I don't. The deal is the tour and the many boots emanating from it were SOOOOOO much better than this lame representation. Night-in-and-out highlights from the shows - LIB and Black Limo aren't there. You get the guts edited out of Imagination - I think there carved 3 minutes of jamming out of it. Just a lame, lame record, IMO. I listen to boots from this tour often - I never listen to Still Life when I need an '81 shot....
[Edited by T&A]
02-17-03 08:36 PM
Martha MrGlimmerTwin, why in fact, I just listened to it today! And do feel as you expressed so eloquently..it is a damn good rockin' little live album.

I LOVE that version of "Let Me Go" and concur Bill and Charlie got their groove down to a science throughout. I love Bill's bass playing and wish I would have seen him with the band just once in my lifetime ..but, it wasn't in my deck of cards, oh well.

I can't keep from dancin at some point along the way when "Still Life" is in the CD changer.

Of course, I will be looking for more boots from that tour which I'm sure are as fabulous as they say..but in the meantime.......

Oh.....won't you let me go.........
02-17-03 08:36 PM
glencar It represents the first tour I saw & I like it for that reason. Let Me Go & the two covers on the first side are great.
02-17-03 08:47 PM
MrGlimmerTwin [quote]Martha wrote:
MrGlimmerTwin, why in fact, I just listened to it today! And do feel as you expressed so eloquently..it is a damn good rockin' little live album.

I LOVE that version of "Let Me Go" and concur Bill and Charlie got their groove down to a science throughout. I love Bill's bass playing and wish I would have seen him with the band just once in my lifetime ..but, it wasn't in my deck of cards, oh well.

I can't keep from dancin at some point along the way when "Still Life" is in the CD changer.

Of course, I will be looking for more boots from that tour which I'm sure are as fabulous as they say..but in the meantime.......

Thank you martha!!! I concur with thee wholeheartedly.So,put in the CD and those dancin' shoes of yours...and groove to the rhythm of a mighty fine rock band laying down the law.Me? i'm off for a visual dose of the '81 tour,thanks to the "let's spend the night togethar" movie..
02-17-03 08:50 PM
Fiji Joe The album has but one flaw...it's only 10 songs...way too short for a live album..IMO...Yet, it does rock...Mr. Glimmer Twin..Do you have Hampton 81'?...If not, beg borrow and steal until you get it...If you think Still Life rocks...
02-17-03 08:51 PM
Martha I GOT to get a copy of LSTNT...is it out on DVD? I've only seen it in a theater long ago....danced in my seat at the time...still do so if necessary! LOL
02-17-03 08:52 PM
throbby I love the version of "Time Is On My Side" on that disc.

Hey Fiji, how is the sound on the Hampton disc?
[Edited by throbby]
02-17-03 08:58 PM
Martha I agree Fiji..SL is too short. And thanks for reminding me I need to add Hampton '81 to my boot collection. You rock.

Always "developing" my ever growing adoration and love of the Rolling Stones..indeed it is a way of life.
02-17-03 09:27 PM
Boomhauer Martha:

There is a Brazilian DVD of LSTNT. I ordered mine on Ebay for $20 (total w/shipping and handling).

It's a good DVD.
02-17-03 09:33 PM
Martha
quote:
Boomhauer wrote:
Martha:

There is a Brazilian DVD of LSTNT. I ordered mine on Ebay for $20 (total w/shipping and handling).

It's a good DVD.

Cool..thanks Boomhauer!
02-17-03 09:40 PM
Scot Rocks Still Life is good however as said above too short, thanks for that info Boom about LSTNT I may well look into that as well.

Cheers

Mark
02-17-03 09:51 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE STILL LIFE!TWENTY FLIGHT ROCK AND GOIN TO A GOGO REALLY TAKE ME BACK TO THE TIME I DISCOVERED THEM(81-82).IT'S ALSO GOT THE ONLY VERSION OF UNDER MY THUMB THAT I WILL LISTEN TO.AT THE END MICK SHOUTS WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.LITTLE DID I KNOW I'D HAVE TO WAIT 7!
02-17-03 10:06 PM
Fiji Joe Throbby wrote:

"Hey Fiji, how is the sound on the Hampton disc?"

The sound quality is excellent!...very comparable to Still Life...I'd offer it to you but what I have is an MP3 version...but, the sound is still great!..Seek the .wav boot my friend, as I am doing the same
02-18-03 12:32 AM
Gimme Shelter A great memory of "Still Life" for me was that I won the record off the radio a week before it was officially released in '82.
02-18-03 01:16 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
The album has but one flaw...it's only 10 songs...way too short for a live album..IMO...Yet, it does rock...Mr. Glimmer Twin..Do you have Hampton 81'?...If not, beg borrow and steal until you get it...If you think Still Life rocks...

Totaly agree Fiji! One flaw, too short. I'm of the 70s school of thought that decreed; Whenever you make a LIVE album, make it a double, and one for the road.
02-18-03 04:20 AM
F505 Totally agree with T&A: lame record which doesn't do justice to the Still Life tour. After Love you Live the Stones never recorded another good live album again although Stripped might be the exception.
Any boot of the 81 tour is much better than Still Life!

02-18-03 06:55 AM
egon sorry, but that album never did it for me.
( prefer flashpoint above this one, but that might be cos that was my 1st tour).

must have been about 4 years since i last played the album,
maybe it's time to dig it up and take it with me in the car tomorrow...
02-18-03 09:25 AM
padre Just put Still Life in the player after MANY years and yes, it does rock. Party album indeed.
About LSTNT: I've always hated the way they cut the intros of the songs on the movie. If I remember right, JJF was missing the whole 1st verse! Very weird decisions from mr. Ashby. Hopefully wew'll get the full version of it some day on DVD.
02-18-03 09:57 AM
Scottfree I have a boot for that period that is called "Time is on my side", it was recorded (soundboard) in D.C. It has done more revolutions in my CD players in the past 5 years than any. I think it is the greatest work even better than 72. The weaving just stands out, and they are incredibly tight with an arse load of energy.

Yours Truly,
Scottfree
02-18-03 10:49 AM
telecaster I drove from Ft Worth, Tx to Chicago in 1983 in my 74 Delta 88 and played "Still Life" on my 8 track and 300 times.
(Try finding a good radio station in S. Missouri at
3 in the morning)

Not sick of it yet....
02-18-03 01:54 PM
Martha
quote:
telecaster wrote:
I drove from Ft Worth, Tx to Chicago in 1983 in my 74 Delta 88 and played "Still Life" on my 8 track and 300 times.
(Try finding a good radio station in S. Missouri at
3 in the morning)

Not sick of it yet....

Now THERE'S a ringing endorsement!!!!

300 times equals how many miles????
02-19-03 01:55 AM
Yyteri Beach Nevertheless Still Life is very short album for a LIVE album I think it's still bl**dy great. 1981/82 tour is one of my favourite tours along with 1969/70.

They played really intensively during that tour and esp. Keith and Ronnie as back up vocalists were great - I was shocked when in 1989 they started to use back-up vocalists. Man, I miss K&R's back-upping. (Perhaps that's why I don't like 1989/90 tour at all. One reason also is that there wasn't that raw sound that existed in 1981/82 tour).

But of course it would have been great to see them releasing a double LP with the whole setlist in.

Official LIVE albums are usually that kind - even Get Yer is partly edited and overdubbed which is sad.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST