ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Buenos Aires - February 22, 2006
Alex (Chile), Voodoo (México), Cucho (Perú), Bjornulf (Norway) and Marcelo (Argentina)
http://rocksoff.org/foro
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones' love affair with Brazil Return to archive
February 18th, 2006 11:27 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Stones' love affair with Brazil
By Bruno Garcez
BBC Brazil

The Rolling Stones, who have been visiting Brazil since the 60s, will be performing to their biggest audience so far in Rio de Janeiro this Saturday.
"Their love affair with Brazil started with Mick Jagger, who came here as a tourist in 1968", says musical researcher Nelio Rodrigues, author of a book that details the Stones' experiences in the tropical country.

The Rolling Stones have been regular visitors to Brazil
Rodrigues said it was unusual for someone as famous as Jagger to be seen "hanging around with fishermen" in the state of Bahia, the Northeast of Brazil.

"Later on, he would say in interviews that the inspiration for the song Sympathy for the Devil came from the Afro-Brazilian rituals he saw in Bahia," Rodrigues said.

"In fact, he considered the song to be a samba."

Jagger was back by the end of the same year, this time bringing along his musical partner, Keith Richards, who would also claim later to have been influenced by the sounds of Brazil.

Richards would be particularly impressed with the highly efficient rural countryside of Sao Paulo state, a place that reminded him the south of the United States and inspired him the country-rock rhythm of Honky Tonk Women.

Mick Jagger first visited there during the 60s
According to Rodrigues, Jagger still has possession of a "hidden gem", a song called Scarlet that he recorded in Rio in 1976.

"According to those who took part in the recording, the track has a percussive beat that shows a strong Brazilian influence," said the writer.

"Unfortunately, Jagger took the master tape with him, for it never to be seen again."

But, in spite of their many visits, the Stones did not perform in Brazil until 1995, more than 30 years after their first album was released.

"Before the mega festival Rock in Rio, in 1985, few big rock names came to Brazil," said Rodrigues, who added that 10 years earlier, the band had announced tour dates for Brazil but later cancelled them.

The band have many Brazilian fans
"Jagger had a standard answer whenever asked by the Brazilian press when the band would finally play over here. 'Next year', was the constant reply", he says.

Although the Stones are known for partying hard whenever in Brazil, they sometimes ran out of luck.

Running Out of Luck was in fact the title of the feature film by filmmaker Julien Temple, with Mick Jagger, in 1984.

The movie, shot in Rio, aimed to boost the singer's first solo album, but had disappointing international sales.

In the case of guitar player Ronnie Wood his unlucky streak was nearly a fatal one.

The band are to perform for their biggest crowd so far
In 1995, the guitarist was on a boat near an island off Rio when it caught fire.

Ironically, Wood was rescued by the same paparazzi with whom he had quarrelled a while earlier.

In Rio, the bon vivant Jagger also paid a high price for his lush life - in fact, quite literarily.

He became romantically involved with a local model, Luciana Gimenez Morad, only to find out later on that she was expecting a son from him.

Jagger's partner of 20 years, actress Jerry Hall, filed for divorce in 1999 after it was confirmed Jagger had fathered Morad's son Lucas.

Keith Richards is said to be fond of Brazil's climate and national drink
Not all Stones are fond of the wild life though. Drummer Charlie Watts is famed for his manners. He was the first Stone to play a series of gigs in Brazil, in 1992, with his jazz band.

In Brazil, Watts, a horse collector, enjoys visiting stud farms and at least once his entourage included his aging mother.

Perhaps reflecting Brazil's tendency for extremes, Watts has always been the most applauded Stone during the band's performances in the country.

He is followed by Keith Richards, the band's legendary bad boy, who's believed not only to be fond of Brazil for its sun and music, but also for its national drink, the caipirinha.
February 18th, 2006 11:50 AM
gorda I know I shouldn't laugh, but this is hilarious! Ha! Ha!

"In the case of guitar player Ronnie Wood his unlucky streak was nearly a fatal one.

In 1995, the guitarist was on a boat near an island off Rio when it caught fire.

Ironically, Wood was rescued by the same paparazzi with whom he had quarrelled a while earlier."

P.S. I have yet to see Running Out of Luck! Maybe, now after the concert, they will release it on DVD!

[Edited by gorda]
February 18th, 2006 12:00 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gorda wrote:
Ironically, Wood was rescued by the same paparazzi with whom he had quarrelled a while earlier.[/b]

Yes Gorda, Papparazzi are indeed the unsung heros of the modern world.
February 18th, 2006 02:10 PM
Gazza
quote:
gorda wrote:

that actually happened in 1998, not 1995
February 18th, 2006 02:12 PM
Gazza He is followed by Keith Richards, the band's legendary bad boy, who's believed not only to be fond of Brazil for its sun and music, but also for its national drink, the caipirinha.

is there a country on earth whose "national drink" Keith wouldnt be 'fond of' ?

February 18th, 2006 02:28 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:
He is followed by Keith Richards, the band's legendary bad boy, who's believed not only to be fond of Brazil for its sun and music, but also for its national drink, the caipirinha.

I say we find the recipe for this drink and all raise our glasses during the Concert!!!!!

LJ.
February 18th, 2006 03:09 PM
speedfreakjive I have to say, I am getting excited now about the show!!!
I'll probably stay up and watch it, having been out last night. I have a feeling it could be a monumental moment in musical history, not to mention the Stones' history. I can't wait!
February 18th, 2006 08:30 PM
gorda
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes Gorda, Papparazzi are indeed the unsung heros of the modern world.

I DID NOT WRITE THIS! IT IS A QUOTE FROM THE ARTICLE THAT Ten Thousand Motels POSTED!

Go back and read the article!

I just that it was funny and ironic!

P.S. On that day, those photographers were heros! They saved Ronnie's life!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)