ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Buenos Aires - February 22, 2006
Alex (Chile), Voodoo (México), Cucho (Perú), Bjornulf (Norway) and Marcelo (Argentina)
http://rocksoff.org/foro
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Forget the TOP 5...what makes your"6-10 list" ? Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 16th, 2006 11:33 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Tattoo You is at #6 for me. I reckon that on SG though, that Keith did his half. Rhythm guitars are prominent in most of the tracks, and his riffs make Shattered, B o B, and Respectable, not to mention BTMMR!

But I think that Keith has done better on many other albums. WHat stands out about SG for me is Mick's wittiness and delivery. It's such a ballsy, smart album, that very few Stones contemporaries even came close to, at the time or later.
February 16th, 2006 11:35 AM
glencar
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Never?
I have sadly never seen a bigger example of a nose-dive for any album that was once a top-seller + critically acclaimed than Some Girls. Why the fuck does Tattoo You always rank higher? Especially whenever someone does a Best Album poll?
People keep bitching about Start Me Up, but they are all slaves to it as much as the general population is.

I suspect that the criminal underrating of SG has something to do with the fact that it's pretty much all Mick. He's what makes it, but we know Mick won't get respect as a songwriter until he's spent a decade 6 feet under.

Jammy, I think these things are cyclical. SG will rise to the top again. I'm amazed that so many rank Between The Buttons so highly.
February 16th, 2006 11:37 AM
Jumacfly [quote]glencar wrote:

Jammy, I think these things are cyclical. SG will rise to the top again.

Correct Blue!
wheel is turning nearly every year, depends on the mood of the fans.
If the same tread was done a few months earlier, ABB would surely have been ranked in top 5.
February 16th, 2006 11:43 AM
glencar And Ju, it will be again one day! I love it!*

*Except for Sweet Neocon...
February 16th, 2006 11:43 AM
Lethargy
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
OK...arguably...the top 5 Stones Cds are (in no order) Let It Blled, Exile, BBanquet, IORR, Goat's Head Soup...

Let's all PRETEND that we agree on that...what would the next 5 be?

Why would I pretend for a moment that IORR is in the Top 5?
February 16th, 2006 11:44 AM
Ihavelotsajam I just meant more in general, not among Stones fans only. After the initial 1978 boom, SG doesn't get the respect it deserves at all, doesn't show up on any lists whatsoever, and no one knows about it at all. And this unfortunately hasn't been cyclical, at least from what I've seen.
February 16th, 2006 11:55 AM
jb My sources called me at Boca Community Hospital after Brooke was born, and informed me, that incredibly, the audience seemed bored and lackluster when the Stones came on, compared to the dancing in the ailes and great enthusiasm for the opening act-apparently a favorite in Puerto Rico. Can someone confirm or deny this as my source was there, and claimed it was very disappointing . Where we humiliated by the great Common Wealth of PR?

February 16th, 2006 12:01 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
And Ju, it will be again one day! I love it!*

*Except for Sweet Neocon...

I was sure about that*
I begin to know you you know(what a great sentence I did!!)

cheers dear Blue
February 16th, 2006 06:29 PM
Egbert
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Top 5 perfect, apart from; reverse SG and BB.

Had Everything's Turning To Gold been included on SG then I certainly would bump it up to the #4 slot.
February 16th, 2006 08:03 PM
IzzyStradlin
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
If I use your top 5 (which I think 95%) of true fans (us) would disagree with, the next five for me:

6. Sticky Fingers (should be #1)
7. Some Girls
8. Voodoo Lounge
9. Tattoo You
10. Aftermath

You're an idiot.
February 16th, 2006 08:58 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Had Everything's Turning To Gold been included on SG then I certainly would bump it up to the #4 slot.

Everything's turning to gold is filler. There are a shitload of Some girls outtakes that 'could' be put in there, but why mess with perfection?
February 16th, 2006 09:53 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Everything's turning to gold is filler. There are a shitload of Some girls outtakes that 'could' be put in there, but why mess with perfection?

exactly, there isn't a weak song on SG!
February 17th, 2006 12:33 AM
Egbert
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

ETTG is cool - not filler in my book. Better than Lies. There you go, replace Lies with ETTG and you have your #4. Or better yet, leave Lies on as well - because if you take it off SG it would then have to go on ER and it already exists on ER as Summer Romance.

February 17th, 2006 12:45 AM
Lethargy Since the originally mentioned Top Five are by no means agreed upon, I feel compelled to include a full Top Ten:

1. Sticky
2. Exile
3. Bleed
4. Beggars
5. Goats
6. Tattoo
7. Voodoo (let the flaming begin)
8. Bridges To Babylon
9. Some Girls (yes, lower than VL and B2B)
10. IORR
February 17th, 2006 12:57 AM
Egbert
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:
I just meant more in general, not among Stones fans only. After the initial 1978 boom, SG doesn't get the respect it deserves at all, doesn't show up on any lists whatsoever, and no one knows about it at all. And this unfortunately hasn't been cyclical, at least from what I've seen.

SG is the only album from which more than 2 songs (3) were taken for inclusion on Forty Licks.
February 17th, 2006 03:17 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Since the originally mentioned Top Five are by no means agreed upon, I feel compelled to include a full Top Ten:

1. Sticky
2. Exile
3. Bleed
4. Beggars
5. Goats
6. Tattoo
7. Voodoo (let the flaming begin)
8. Bridges To Babylon
9. Some Girls (yes, lower than VL and B2B)
10. IORR

I can't understand your dislike for Some Girls!!
February 17th, 2006 03:35 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

I can't understand your dislike for Some Girls!!

me too. and BTB, VL ,GHS, better rated than SG is strange...

Where is ER in all those lists??
February 17th, 2006 03:42 AM
Honky Tonk Man Here is my top ten...

Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed
Exile On Main Street
Tattoo You
Some Girls
Beggars Banquet
The Rolling Stones (Their UK debut)
Aftermath (UK version)
December's Children
Goats Head Soup
--------------------------------------------------
I think that if I were to do another top ten in a month, it'd be different. It's actually much harder to nail it down then you'd imagine. Off the top of my head, these are my top ten, but I don't know, maybe I'd put It's Only Rock N' Roll or Between The Buttons in there on another day. I should also add that the reason I did a full top ten, as apposed to a 6-10 is to emphasise that not everyone’s top 5 would be the same. Beggars Banquet is not a GREAT record in my opinion.

February 17th, 2006 06:56 AM
Break The Spell Interesting to see Between The buttons mentioned a lot, I like the UK version of that album, "Please Go Home" is like psychedelic Bo Diddley, and "Back Street Girl" lyrically is quite a "tender" ballad dedicated to all the mistresses of the world.
February 17th, 2006 09:04 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Egbert wrote:

SG is the only album from which more than 2 songs (3) were taken for inclusion on Forty Licks.

Yes, because Jagger likes the album. How can he not?
February 17th, 2006 09:07 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Egbert wrote:

ETTG is cool - not filler in my book. Better than Lies. There you go, replace Lies with ETTG and you have your #4. Or better yet, leave Lies on as well - because if you take it off SG it would then have to go on ER and it already exists on ER as Summer Romance.

Lies is one of those songs that continuously goes right over the collective heads of Stones fans. It's one of the most badass songs they've ever recorded-- never worked live, but apparently neither does Mother's Little Helper if you take their word for it. Doesn't mean it isn't one of those songs that makes a lot of actual 'punk' bands sound wimpy. Great song.

Fan postings reinforce and perpetuate opinions, and since Lies keeps getting trashed by everyone, I won't bother to defend it more than what I said. I mean, there is only so much you can do to be heard over the collective worship of, for example, Sway.

[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
February 17th, 2006 09:08 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Ihavelotsajam wrote:

Yes, because Jagger likes the album. How can he not?

No, because its great!
Overall its better than BB. BB is favoured only cos its got STFTD, SFM, and its a return to form from the abyss of Satanic. Don't get me wrong, its probably no.6 or 7 for me. But there really IS some filler on there, unlike Exile, as rumour had it.
February 17th, 2006 09:23 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

No, because its great!
Overall its better than BB. BB is favoured only cos its got STFTD, SFM, and its a return to form from the abyss of Satanic. Don't get me wrong, its probably no.6 or 7 for me. But there really IS some filler on there, unlike Exile, as rumour had it.

You don't have to defend SG to ME!!

I'm just saying Jagger, who's had the 'say' in F. Licks, has never hidden that he likes the damn album. And again, how can he not?
February 17th, 2006 09:39 AM
Joey
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Where is ER in all those lists??

ER is a HELL of a lot better than " Dirty Work " .

Word .

Jerscee
February 17th, 2006 10:02 AM
nanatod I know a lot of people on the board are going to disagree with me, but my top ten reflect my years as a teenager in the 1970's, when I started listening to the Stones, and sort of, the order in which the albums were acquired:

1. Goats Head Soup
2. Let it Bleed
3. Beggars Banquet
4. Sticky Fingers
5. Exile on Main Street
6. Roling Stones Now
7. 12 x 5
8. Made in the Shade (I know, I know, but it is one of the lst albums I bought and because of that, maybe played more than anything else on the list)
9. Some Girls
10. Their Satanic Majesties Request

Number 11, even though it is not a Stones album would be "Talk is Cheap."

I am probably the only person on this board who doesn't like IORR.
[Edited by nanatod]
February 17th, 2006 10:06 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Joey wrote:

ER is a HELL of a lot better than " Dirty Work " .

Word .

Jerscee

ER is their funniest stuff!
February 17th, 2006 01:39 PM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
nanatod wrote:
I am probably the only person on this board who doesn't like IORR.

I think IORR is an album that is fortunate to be pre-1981, and since more and more people have a tendency to lump Stones' good vs. bad stuff in terms of pre vs. post-1981, it's sitting pretty in the "good" era. But I agree with what Sir Stonesalot said a few pages back that this mid-70s era is not great. Mick Taylor adoration or not, a lot of it is just 'meh'. THey had some much much better songs after 1981 than the stuff on IORR. I like a few songs, but most of them are just listenable at best.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)