ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Buenos Aires - February 22, 2006
Alex (Chile), Voodoo (México), Cucho (Perú), Bjornulf (Norway) and Marcelo (Argentina)
http://rocksoff.org/foro
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Q Magazine - Stones special Return to archive
February 15th, 2006 07:26 AM
Gazza Just out today - Q's Stones special edition

It can be ordered online here :

http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music.page&fixture_page=116524&resource=116524

Havent got it yet myself - personally, I think its a tribute thats at least a decade overdue, considering some of the other 'lightweights' theyve deemed worthy of such a publication, plus I'm not optmistic about its contents as Q is pretty much unreadable crap these days as most of it's quality writers have long migrated to pastures new (including their sister magazine MOJO) - but I'll reserve full judgement on it until I buy it
February 15th, 2006 07:28 AM
glencar Gazza, what was the mag that featured the Stones during the Licks tour & had 5 different covers? MOJO?
February 15th, 2006 07:46 AM
Nellcote GC, yes it was MOJO.
Collect them all!
February 15th, 2006 08:00 AM
glencar I have the BJ one.
February 15th, 2006 08:49 AM
speedfreakjive You're right Gazza; Q is trite these days, It was good back in thre late 90's when it was predominantly about rock music.
February 15th, 2006 09:24 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
You're right Gazza; Q is trite these days, It was good back in thre late 90's when it was predominantly about rock music.

Correct, last issue I bought of Q was in 2001, sadly they've fallen from grace the same way Rolling Stone magazine did about 10-15 years ago.
February 15th, 2006 06:05 PM
Soldatti Cool cover.
February 15th, 2006 07:03 PM
glencar
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Correct, last issue I bought of Q was in 2001, sadly they've fallen from grace the same way Rolling Stone magazine did about 10-15 years ago.

I read the year-end edition of RS last weekend & it was atrocious. It was all nelly queen politics with very little music.
February 15th, 2006 07:44 PM
Hannalee
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Just out today - Q's Stones special edition

It can be ordered online here :

http://www.q4music.com/nav?page=q4music.page&fixture_page=116524&resource=116524

Havent got it yet myself - personally, I think its a tribute thats at least a decade overdue, considering some of the other 'lightweights' theyve deemed worthy of such a publication, plus I'm not optmistic about its contents as Q is pretty much unreadable crap these days as most of it's quality writers have long migrated to pastures new (including their sister magazine MOJO) - but I'll reserve full judgement on it until I buy it

It's not bad actually, Gary. Mainly because it's mostly pictures with the odd page of contribution from people like Dick Taylor (good) and Nick Kent (bad). I keep swearing I'll never buy Q again, but some of the specials are quite bearable.

I still can't understand why they're sold under the Mojo banner abroad and Q at home....
February 15th, 2006 08:35 PM
GhostofBrianJones Just ordered it. Got the BJ Uncuts, did not know there was a "Q"
with BJ in it. Thanks.
February 15th, 2006 10:16 PM
Zack Q usually hates the Stones.

ABB didn't make their best 50 albums of 2005, and the review of the remasters called OoOH "really not good" and the studio Rambler "unlistenable."
February 16th, 2006 06:58 AM
corgi37 GLENCAR - I think you refer to UNCUT magazine. It had a few different Stones covers. Not a bad Pommy mag. We get it here in Oz for about $17.00! Fucked if i will pay that. I just scan it, read the titty mags, then scan it again.

Then, next day, buy a lottery ticket, scan it, check out the titty mags, scan it again and finish an article, and walk out.

Next day after that, i just check out the titty mags.
February 16th, 2006 09:18 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:

I read the year-end edition of RS last weekend & it was atrocious. It was all nelly queen politics with very little music.

Tell me about it!! And when they do cover music, it never ventures outside of whats played on TRL. And to think I used to subscribe to it.
February 16th, 2006 10:33 AM
Gazza OK..I just got the Q special today, and I have to say, credit where it's due, its actually pretty good

The photos are really superb (I'd guess that about 80-90% of them I've NEVER seen before) and although the text is pretty sparing and ostensibly a copy and paste of reminisces by various people who've known or worked with the Stones down the years, it's not bad (and isnt full of the factual errors I would have feared had it been written by the current Q staff)

It still grates that it took them so long to put such a tribute together compared to those for lesser artists, but its agood effort nonetheless
February 17th, 2006 02:50 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Gazza wrote:
OK..I just got the Q special today, and I have to say, credit where it's due, its actually pretty good

The photos are really superb (I'd guess that about 80-90% of them I've NEVER seen before) and although the text is pretty sparing and ostensibly a copy and paste of reminisces by various people who've known or worked with the Stones down the years, it's not bad (and isnt full of the factual errors I would have feared had it been written by the current Q staff)

It still grates that it took them so long to put such a tribute together compared to those for lesser artists, but its agood effort nonetheless

Yes it's amazing - just for the photos. SUPERB photos of Leeds 71 gig, the bootleg "Leed Guitars" I presume? But anayway Charlie is wearing a Leeds T shirt! For me ya can't beat that! Being from Leeds and that.

Think I'm gonna scan in and have myself a new avatar!

If you can get hold of this magazine the you GOTTA buy it...£5.99 a bit steep but worth every penny.

Gazza - it does grate when one sees the shite they compiled for other pleb, inferior artists such as IMO Queen etc. Maybe they were working on it all this time and putting together the awesome photos?!?

Anyhow...go buy!
February 17th, 2006 02:56 AM
Honky Tonk Man As no ones mentioned it yet, I'll ask. Is the new Q Special better than the Mojo one that came out a few years ago? That was superb!
February 17th, 2006 06:47 AM
Zeeta HTM - how's it hangin?

re your question - it's BETTER than the MOJO version if you're really into photos. The Mojo one is better factually perhaps but there's some peachy photos in this one!

They're different is the answer - but I prefer this cos I love photos!
February 17th, 2006 05:33 PM
redsock Correct, last issue I bought of Q was in 2001, sadly they've fallen from grace the same way Rolling Stone magazine did about 10-15 years ago.

More like (at least) 25 years ago.

RS started going down the toilet in the late 70s when they couldn't understand punk.
February 17th, 2006 06:08 PM
JuanTCB They're both reflections on what's going on around them.

Q started going downhill when the British music scene started to really suck. When the Brits were really having it large in the mid-to-late '90s, Q really captured the moment well.

Rolling Stone went down the shooter right around the time the last great U.S. music movement petered out.

They'll both rebound once they have something to get excited about.

Until then, they should each publish Stones annuals to keep us all happy while we wait.
February 17th, 2006 07:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
JuanTCB wrote:
They're both reflections on what's going on around them.

Q started going downhill when the British music scene started to really suck. When the Brits were really having it large in the mid-to-late '90s, Q really captured the moment well.

Dont agree...it went down the shitter when their better journalists left, died or migrated to other magazines such as Mojo or Uncut (Q started in 1986, a period when British pop music really was at a low ebb. The magazine even at that time featured quality writing and excellent interviews)

They were replaced by new editors and a bunch of younger, lazy, talentless hacks who had little experience in music journalism and who seem to increasingly believe that another stupid poll that goes on for about 20-30 pages is a great way of filling a magazine

There's still a lot of good music journalism in the UK - as well as a still relatively vibrant music scene. Unfortunately, the better writers dont write for tabloid newspapers or lightweight music magazines
[Edited by Gazza]
February 17th, 2006 08:14 PM
JuanTCB Thanks for the clarification, Gazza. I only started buying it in around '94 - I have pretty much every issue from I guess what you'd call the "Britpop Era", while the magazine was still good. Seems the death of that coincided with the decline in quality of Q.

That said . . . what's good reading these days, at least as far as new music is concerned? Q's gone down the shitter and the NME is just fluff.

I need to reestablish my expensive English periodical habit - please advise!
February 17th, 2006 08:55 PM
Gazza apart from Uncut and Mojo, very little to be honest
February 17th, 2006 09:27 PM
JuanTCB That's what I figured. Damn.
February 18th, 2006 06:58 AM
corgi37 Uncut is a magnificent mag.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)