ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Three of a perfect four by Stoned in Australia
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jude to rock on Jagger's life Return to archive
02-15-03 08:02 AM
CS UPDATE

Saturday February 15
Jude to rock on Jagger's life

Washington, Feb 15 (ANI): Hollywood heart-throb Jude Law will soon appear in a new film, titled "The Long Play", which is based on Mick Jagger's experiences of life as one of the most famous people in the world in the 1960s.

Jude is to play a rock star in the movie, which is written by Jagger and planned to be directed by supremo Martin Scorsese.

'The Long Play is about a few guys who grow up in the music business in the early 1960s and how their lives converge and diverge until the early 1990s,' according to report in People News.

The 59-year-old Jagger came up with the idea for the film over ten years ago, said the report. (ANI)

02-15-03 12:49 PM
glencar Jude Law is pretty dull. I hope this thing is better than what it's shaping into.
02-15-03 01:36 PM
Martha I disagree Glencar..I think Jude is a fine actor. Martin Scorsese is a brilliant director one of our best..so the project sounds very intriguing to me.

Thanks CS for posting the info..you ROCK!

Hey, hey ...you got me rockin'
02-15-03 04:39 PM
glencar Martha, I thought he was the only good thing in "The Talented Mr. Ripley"(what a tragedy that movie was!) but I haven't seen him in much else. And he doesn't seem very energetic to play the world's greatest rock star's creation. We'll see(but probably on cable...hee hee!).
02-15-03 05:15 PM
Martha glencar, do you have a background in film studies by any chance?

I did my undergraduate and master's work in that field of study as did my husband.

I really like Ripley and thought Jude was excellent in it. He was also great in "Enemy At The Gates". And did a good job playing a robot in that creepy Spielberg film (of which the title escapes me at the moment).

He can pull off the "mystique" that is our Mick...I'm sure of it.

Roll the camera Ronnie!
02-15-03 05:24 PM
Miss U. I agree, Martha. Jude Law is a very talented actor!! I saw him in The Talented M.R., and also this other weird movie where he played a vampire....did you see that? I can't remember the name of it...
02-15-03 07:50 PM
glencar Did I study film? No but I know several people who have. As I said (perhaps you glided over it), I thought he was the best thing in "Ripley". BTW I was a huge fan of the series. That hole at the center of the film (aka Matt Damon) ruined it. I haven't seen AI or Enemy at the Gates. The latter is frequently on HBO so maybe I'll give it a looksee next time.
02-16-03 03:39 PM
Miss U. Jude Law is apparently also in the movie "Road to Perdition" with Tom Hanks & Paul Newman. Anyone seen it?
02-17-03 01:46 AM
gypsy I have heard that is an excellent movie, Miss U.
I think Jude Law is a wonderful actor.
02-17-03 11:19 AM
Martha I heard you glencar...didn't glide over the comment at all...and while I agree with your assesment of Jude, I disagree with your take on Matt Damon....I think he's an excellent actor as well. It is terribly difficult to play a complicated character with tremendously repressed emotions and that's what Damon had to do for Ripley.

I thought you might have a background in film by the way you spoke about the topic is all.

I think the audience has to be more involved in participating/watching films that star emotionally repressed characters. Those types of performances are particularly hard to pull off successfully, due to the subtleties that must be relayed to the audience without the actor being able to rely as much on using words for expressing the character's complexities.

Check out "Far From Heaven" by Todd Haynes (the director who is now working on a fictional narrative film based on Bob Dylan's life ) for Julianne Moore's equally brilliant delivery of a repressed housewife living with her repressed, homosexual, alcoholic husband, played by Dennis Quaid, in the suburbs during the 40's or early 50's. Great film by the way.

And Nicole Kidman kicks out the same kind of jam in "Portrait of a Lady"...she's so damn good in everything she does.

Hey there Miss U. I did see "Road to Perdition" and liked it a lot. Jude was good in it albeit he plays a secondary character. I need to watch it agin to refresh my memory though..it didn't stick very well for some reason.

Didn't catch the vampire thing you mentioned...can't figure out what film that might be.

Stay warm everyone!
02-17-03 12:57 PM
glencar Martha, I did see "Far From Heaven" & I agree that J. Moore rocks. I think Quaid's performance is so-so. Matt Damon is just too damned pretty to play a repressed character. Most repressed types don't have super-gleaming white teeth. Thanks for your civil tone. In a debate like this, it's mostly about our opinions & while I think I'm correct, time will tell & heck, even then it'll still be our opinions.
02-17-03 01:23 PM
Martha "Thanks for your civil tone. In a debate like this, it's mostly about our opinions & while I think I'm correct, time will tell & heck, even then it'll still be our opinions."

You are most welcome glencar. I try hard not to argue...although I certainly am tempted to from time to time. I learn a lot more from being able to share opinions with other people like yourself who can do so without getting into arguments over who is "right". It is refreshing to look at another perspective on pretty much any subject matter...and I can only do so if I am willing to (really) listen to another person with a varied or totally different opinion than my own. I've learned that it is ok to agree to disagree and that not sharing the same opinion(s) doesn't mean we cannot be friends and treat one another with respect and dignity. Cool deal ehhh?!

Something else that I've heard, which helps me to refrain from arguing when tempted, is this.."Do I want to be right or do I want to be happy?"

Matt Damon is a pretty boy, I agree on that count..although I did think they dumbed him down a bit for Ripley. He looked a bit goofy, sweaty and unsure of himself, to me anyway.

Did you happen to catch "About A Boy'? It is nominated for best adapted screenplay.
02-17-03 01:27 PM
jb I saw a movie with Jude Law and matt Damon..something like "The incrdible Mr. Ripley"? He was a young, wealthy, snot..who was ultimately bludgeoned to death by Damon, who then took on his identity....He ended up doing Gweneth paltrow which aint too bad...Regrettably, law wife was recently admitted to a london clinic for severe post partum depression....there are also rumors of marital problems which have been denied....In my opinion, he is way too pretty to play Mick....I would prefer the 2 young guys dancing in front of me at the MSG show, who were about 19, and looked and danced just like the young Mick..
02-17-03 02:44 PM
Miss U. Have you not noticed how pretty Mick is?
02-17-03 02:50 PM
jb He is pretty in a ugly way....
02-17-03 06:32 PM
glencar Martha, I loved the book "About A Boy" & I bought the DVD but haven't seen it yet. I can't watch it tonight but I might watch it tomorrow. I did get to see the first 20 minutes of it & it was very good. I agree on the "not fighting" thing. I posted over at another board about a Stones -related matter & I was accused of thinking I was a Stones insider. I haven't respected that poster since. I don't even post to them. Life isn't short but it's not that long.
02-17-03 08:46 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
Martha, I loved the book "About A Boy" & I bought the DVD but haven't seen it yet. I can't watch it tonight but I might watch it tomorrow. I did get to see the first 20 minutes of it & it was very good.

I am watching it a second time later tonight (I rented it for 5 days and am taking full advantage..LOL). I will be interested to know what you think of it (the film) since you've read the book. I will be happy to see it get the Oscar for best adapted screenplay. Let me know what you think if you have the time to.

I agree on the "not fighting" thing. I posted over at another board about a Stones -related matter & I was accused of thinking I was a Stones insider. I haven't respected that poster since. I don't even post to them. Life isn't short but it's not that long.

It can be challenging indeed to not argue with other people..especially in a forum on the internet when we can do so cloaked behind the anonymity provided by the fact that no one can see us or know us.

I was taught long ago not to burn any bridges in my lifetime and have found that learning not to argue helps tremendously in that department. I never know when I might be in need of a friend, or help, or run into someone in person (like at a Stones concert LOL)..It just isn't worth it to me to have hard feelings that I 've brought on by my own negative behavior.

I strive to keep myself peace-filled. And believe me it isn't in my nature to stay in that place..LOL! Every day is test day!

Hugs to you glencar,
Martha
02-17-03 08:49 PM
throbby Glencar, Martha! Well said!
02-18-03 11:56 AM
Miss U. Words of wisdom, Martha. I find your posts lately to be very mature.
Most people here are very nice. Those who aren't should be ignored.
Still some people ignore out of pettiness & to gain approval among a clique. Others sometimes make snide insinuations to hurt others. I admit I've done it occasionally in response when it's been done to me (usually for no reason other than pure hatred or envy for whatever reason). There's just some people who come on here not out of positiveness or love of stones but to be part of a clique or brag or get attention for their creative posts.

Bottom line is you can't please everyone, be positive to everyone and try to get along whether you really like someone or not.

02-18-03 12:29 PM
Martha Thank you Throbby for those very nice words....and Miss U, I really appreciate what you said to me...I know I haven't always been good about acting/behaving in a mature manner at this message board and when I didn't I felt the impact to my self-esteem...which shored me up immediately.

I work at remembering the reason I came here in the first place..to learn about the wonderful music that the Rolling Stones created and their collective history...to learn about the tour..to learn about other music...to learn about the boots...to talk to like-minded people who love this music as much (if not more) than I do.....and to have as much harmless fun as we can muster.

When I find myself "slippin' away" from that focus I take a break and regroup. Works like a charm.

It is great to be welcomed here and I appreciate the in-depth conversations that go on daily.

Hey hey..you got me rockin'!

hugs to all,
Martha

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST