ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Three of a perfect four by Stoned in Australia
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stradlin's band "The Ju Ju Hounds" and The Stones connection. Return to archive
02-13-03 05:38 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Now that our boys are out in warm summer of down under, I downloaded that "Shuffle It All" number by Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds, and found it highly enjoyable, 'specially that Mac keyboard sound!

Are either of their two albums worth picking up?

I also got the duet between Tom Waits and Keith Richards, "That Feel" - damn, that's a good song. Keith sings those harmonies like it's "Sweet Virginia" all over again.

And rounding it out, Keith's picks from the Uncut magazine.

Why not have Mick, Keith, Ronnie and Bernard do "Midnight Special"?

-tSYX --- Shuffle it all...
02-13-03 05:51 PM
TT Izzy�s first album is really great. There�s no weak song on it. Check out "SOMEBODY KNOCKIN�" . The maxi CDs had two great Reggae tunes.

But I had my problems with the follow ups: "...degrees" (?) and "River" .

02-13-03 05:52 PM
Nellcote TSYX-Izzy's first album has got a Stones feel, quite listenable IMO. And, of course, it has a guest appearance on Take A Look At The Guy, well, you fill in the blanks
... ....

I listen to Tom Waits every now & then, Keith goes way back with him. IMO, one of Ziggy Marley's first albums has Keith guesting on two tracks, which are good. Another is
Phanthom from Stray Cats, where Keith plays on "My Mistake"
These all were during the dark 80's, with Keith needing his musical fix when Mick was off, well, Being Mick
02-13-03 06:00 PM
Riffhard The first JU JU Hounds album is for sure worth picking up Xyzz! It's got that piss and vinegar appeal of the Stones ala '72 STP with a little Faces' Nods as Good as a Wink thrown in for good measure. A strong disk all the way through. The rhythem player is Rick Richards he was originally in The Georgia Satellites.

Riffhard
02-13-03 06:05 PM
steel driving hammer Dude that whole fucking album rocks!

Listen to Izzy's 117 degrees!

THAT my friends is rock and roll.

Some will tell you, well they just wanna sound like the Stones.

I will tell you, damm straight! The more the better!

Folks we gotta keep this torch alive.

02-13-03 06:11 PM
TT Hey, hammer,

the Izzy picture was taken WHERE/WHEN???
02-13-03 07:52 PM
crb69 Oh boy, here we go...

'specially that Mac keyboard sound!

maybe that's because it IS Ian McLagan playing keyboards on that tune, along with half the cd. Rick Richards from the Sattellites is the lead player by the way, Izzy is the rhythm player, though he does rip out a lead now & then. This is a good, though somewhat mellow, debut. Izzy has put out a few cd's in the past 10 years. There's also 117 degrees, Ride On(buy this one last or download it) and River. There are killer live versions of Jivin Sister Fanny and Crackin' up (reggae tunes mentioned before) out there as well. Check out tunes like: Somebody Knockin', Rocker, Ronnie Wood plays on a cover of his "Take a look at the Guy", Ain't It a Bitch, Old Hat, Here before you, Here comes the rain, Jump in Now, Get away, underground...enjoy!
I've recently discovered a cool newer band called Beautiful Creatures. They are similar to Ac/Dc & Jackyl with a raw 80's metal kinda touch...
02-13-03 09:40 PM
steel driving hammer Don't know TT but Shuffle It All, keep it moving lord!

Izzy? Or young Al Pacino?

Angus Young? Or Izzy? LOL!

02-13-03 09:43 PM
steel driving hammer

02-13-03 09:52 PM
glencar I gotta download me some of taht stuff. I always liked "Shuffle It All" but I haven't heard it in a long, long while.
02-13-03 10:02 PM
steel driving hammer It's strange but true, all those Rolling Stone Open G type songs
you haven't heard for a while sound even better when you dust them off.

There is really some good music out there the Top 40 suit and tie men don't wan't you to listen to!

They'd rather get the money from teenagers who buy whats hip at any given second.

But me, I ain't that way...
02-13-03 10:17 PM
gypsymofo60 Izzy's gotta be one of the most underrated musos. Without him The Gunners lost alot, and his first solo album as I've said on here before is a gem( excuse the pun Woody.) In a 1991/2 interview he lauded Exile, saying he was never without at least a cassette of the set, saying it was a definite influence. Anybody who bought the single 'Pressure Drop' has a slice of real drivin' rockn' roll. Came Unglued wasn't on the album, God knows why.
02-13-03 11:08 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
crb69 wrote:
Oh boy, here we go...

'specially that Mac keyboard sound!

maybe that's because it IS Ian McLagan playing keyboards on that tune, along with half the cd.

I know! That's why I said, 'specially that Mac keyboard sound! As in, rock and roll benefits so much from that guy, no matter what band.

I'll take a look for these. Thanks for the help, all.

Man, a cover of "Take A Look At The Guy"... my respect for Stradlin has shot up 1000%. He has *good* taste.

Well, he did hang out with Axl Rose, the best (worst) whiner in all of Rock History. But he was smart enough to bail while he could.

-tSYX --- Take me down to the paradise city...
02-14-03 06:36 AM
bez85 iZZY'S new one is called On Down The Road..it's only out as a jap import..he does a great version of the Stone's "Please Go Home" Ian Mac plays keys on a couple tracks also..IMO this is his best one..
02-14-03 03:24 PM
Factory Girl Steelie, Thanks for the Izzy collage. He's nice looking.

Btw, I bought the Ronnie DVD- at Tower, BBuy didn't have it. Thanks for the heads up!
02-14-03 05:21 PM
polytoxic I remember reading a great review for Izzy Stradlin and The Juju Hounds that called it "The best rolling stones solo album ever made".

Pretty much sums it up.

Also, as a related piece of trivia:
Izzy gave up booze and drugs after some heavy years in L.A. but held off on his pledge until he had his last drink in the right company---with Keith Richards and Ron Wood - when he guested in Atlantic City on the Steel Wheels tour.

02-15-03 09:24 AM
crb69 A lot of us true GNR fans know that they lost their umphff in song writing when Izzy left. Once he was gone the true (Lennon-esque) half of the song writing team was gone. Axl(Paul) couldn't handle the raw R&R sound in the writing part of the music. That's my opinion anyway...So be it, they just weren't meant to exist more than a few years. Money, drugs and fame did it again...Too bad Slash hasn't done anything that good since...But we gots the originals yet...we gots the Stones!
02-15-03 02:19 PM
MarthaMyDear OH, GOD, I'M GOING TO HAVE AN ORGASM LOOKING AT THESE HOTTIE-WANNA-BOOM-ALOTTIE PIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you SO MUCH, Steelie, for these EXCELLENT PIX!!! I've ALWAYS thought he was a fricking hottie-wanna-boom-alottie... HE!!! HE!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS God, he's fine... lol................................ :P :P
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P He actually came over to an apartment I used to live in in Hollywood in 1981 which used to be this punk rock hang-out, kind-of, and I should have taken advantage of that situatIOn, if you know what I mean!!! HE!!! HE!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Yes, I do believe GNR lost ALOT when he left... He just had this quiet, sexy class to him, and just look at those EYES!!! UGH!!! lol................................ :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P :P :P :P They're such a deep brown and so BIG and DREAMY you could just fall INTO them as if they were a luscious pecan pie ready to be eaten... Ok.... I'll calm down now... HA!!! HA!!! But, Slash is a fricking hottie-wanna-boom-alottie, also, and so is Axl, by the way... So is Mick, Keith, Ronnie... I'll stop... HE!!! HE!!! ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:P ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
[Edited by MarthaMyDear]
02-16-03 03:22 PM
Honky Tonker Izzy and his guitar player (the bushy-headed guy from The Georgia Satellites) were at Ronnie's Atlanta show on the Slide On This tour. Please note Mac and Chuck both played in this band.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST