ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Beacon Theater, NYC - 1st November 2006
© ¿?... Thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Huge fire in Camden Market (NSC) Return to archive
10th February 2008 03:01 PM
Slavegirl
LONDON (Feb. 10) - Firefighters dug through the wreckage of London's famed Camden market Sunday trying to determine what sparked a massive blaze that damaged the market and area buildings.

It took 100 firefighters three hours to put out the fire Saturday night. There were no casualties, but the blaze damaged clothing and craft market stalls and nearby buildings.

The Hawley Arms, a pub popular with celebrities such as singer Amy Winehouse, rocker Pete Doherty and model Kate Moss, was among the casualties.

"In a word, I'm devastated," Ruth Charles-Ridler, the pub's landlady, said as she arrived at the scene to assess the damage Sunday morning. "Everyone I've spoken to is in complete shock.

"This was a good community pub where everybody knew everybody else," she said. "It is a great loss to Camden Town."

The bustling commercial and residential area in north London, with its open markets and a scenic canal, is one of the British capital's top shopping and tourist destinations.

"It's quite a heavy blow" to Camden's many small shops, said local business owner Steve Norris.

Sunday is traditionally the busiest day of the week for shoppers at Camden Town's shops, cafes, pubs and markets.

Police kept the burned-out area closed off with a cordon on Sunday morning but allowed tourists and shoppers to use a large part of the unaffected Camden High Street commercial area.

Firefighters said it was too early to say what caused the disaster.

About 40 firefighters were working their way through the remaining "hot spots" toward the center of the blaze, said senior firefighter Guy Foster. Their progress was hampered by concerns that some buildings were structurally unsafe.

Some roads, sidewalks, subway and train lines remained closed Sunday.

Among the tourists hoping to shop at Camden Market was Marie-Francoise Tagnais, who was visiting the area for the first time.

"I'm going back to France today and I wanted to see this market, which is famous in London," she said. "So I am disappointed."

This sucks beyond belief! I really wanted to go back to London this summer and Camden was my favorite place to visit =( Hopefully it will be rebuilt and repaired quickly...I'm sure the city of London has the money to invest in rebuilding this historic place...especially considering the tourists it draws!
10th February 2008 03:35 PM
Gazza I wouldnt say its "No Stones Content" as I've bought plenty of unofficial Stones stuff there!! Hope my regular purveyors of illicit material havent lost their livelihood!

Great place, always a favourite spot of mine to visit in London. It looked horrendous last night, unfortunately.

I may be wrong, but I think the Hawley Arms is where Meg and I had lunch last August when Sweet Virginia texted us to let us know she'd arrived. Didnt know it was Amy's 'local' then, though.

[Edited by Gazza]
10th February 2008 04:01 PM
Sioux And where were those Gered Mankowitz pics taken in '65? The ones with the "cage" that the boys sat in and around? Wasn't that Camden Park or something? I wondered if it was the same area....
10th February 2008 04:06 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Slavegirl wrote:

LONDON (Feb. 10) - Firefighters dug through the wreckage of London's famed Camden market Sunday trying to determine what sparked a massive blaze that damaged the market and area buildings.

It took 100 firefighters three hours to put out the fire Saturday night. There were no casualties, but the blaze damaged clothing and craft market stalls and nearby buildings.

The Hawley Arms, a pub popular with celebrities such as singer Amy Winehouse, rocker Pete Doherty and model Kate Moss, was among the casualties.

"In a word, I'm devastated," Ruth Charles-Ridler, the pub's landlady, said as she arrived at the scene to assess the damage Sunday morning. "Everyone I've spoken to is in complete shock.

"This was a good community pub where everybody knew everybody else," she said. "It is a great loss to Camden Town."

The bustling commercial and residential area in north London, with its open markets and a scenic canal, is one of the British capital's top shopping and tourist destinations.

"It's quite a heavy blow" to Camden's many small shops, said local business owner Steve Norris.

Sunday is traditionally the busiest day of the week for shoppers at Camden Town's shops, cafes, pubs and markets.

Police kept the burned-out area closed off with a cordon on Sunday morning but allowed tourists and shoppers to use a large part of the unaffected Camden High Street commercial area.

Firefighters said it was too early to say what caused the disaster.

About 40 firefighters were working their way through the remaining "hot spots" toward the center of the blaze, said senior firefighter Guy Foster. Their progress was hampered by concerns that some buildings were structurally unsafe.

Some roads, sidewalks, subway and train lines remained closed Sunday.

Among the tourists hoping to shop at Camden Market was Marie-Francoise Tagnais, who was visiting the area for the first time.

"I'm going back to France today and I wanted to see this market, which is famous in London," she said. "So I am disappointed."

This sucks beyond belief! I really wanted to go back to London this summer and Camden was my favorite place to visit =( Hopefully it will be rebuilt and repaired quickly...I'm sure the city of London has the money to invest in rebuilding this historic place...especially considering the tourists it draws!

All I care about is that you're alright..

Photobucket
10th February 2008 04:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
Sioux wrote:
And where were those Gered Mankowitz pics taken in '65? The ones with the "cage" that the boys sat in and around? Wasn't that Camden Park or something? I wondered if it was the same area....

That's Mason's Yard, which is in central London near Piccadilly, I think (Camden is in north London)

Presume you mean this shot,a s used on the front of the book "From Mason's Yard to Primrose Hill"

(Primrose Hill was the location for the cover of Between The Buttons)
[Edited by Gazza]
10th February 2008 04:12 PM
Sioux
quote:
Gazza wrote:

That's Mason's Yard, which is in central London near Piccadilly, I think (Camden is in north London)

Presume you mean this shot,a s used on the front of the book "From Mason's Yard to Primrose Hill"

(Primrose Hill was the location for the cover of Between The Buttons)
[Edited by Gazza]

Yes Gazza, thanks, that's it... Guess I had a brain fart there...And, embarrassingly enough, I have numerous Mankowitz photo books, including ones with the Mason's Yard and Primrose Hill photo shoots. I also finally acquired I-Contact, which I had wanted for a long time. And I have the greatest copy of Blinds and Shutters---signed by really cool people, including Stash, Robert Frasier, and Christopher Gibbs, all good friends of Brian.

Thanks for prodding my brain back into action...
[Edited by Sioux]
10th February 2008 05:24 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I wouldnt say its "No Stones Content" as I've bought plenty of unofficial Stones stuff there!! Hope my regular purveyors of illicit material havent lost their livelihood!

Great place, always a favourite spot of mine to visit in London. It looked horrendous last night, unfortunately.

I may be wrong, but I think the Hawley Arms is where Meg and I had lunch last August when Sweet Virginia texted us to let us know she'd arrived. Didnt know it was Amy's 'local' then, though.

[Edited by Gazza]

Damn, sure does look like the Pub we had lunch at, Gaz!!
10th February 2008 05:45 PM
Honky Tonk Man Bloody hell. The Hawley Arms was just one of those 'must visit' pubs. I always kept meaning to go there, but always ended up somewhere else. Hope it re-opens!
10th February 2008 06:28 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Busy day for you and Meg that day...lunch at Amy's favorite pub, dinner at Pilot Inn, a Prince concert and Prince again for the aftershow event. Sigh...what a great day!

11th February 2008 06:55 AM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Damn, sure does look like the Pub we had lunch at, Gaz!!

Yep. That's the side entrance.

Just think, we've probably pissed in the same toilets that Amy, Pete and Kate have all shot up/snorted in....
[Edited by Gazza]
11th February 2008 08:22 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yep. That's the side entrance.

Just think, we've probably pissed in the same toilets that Amy, Pete and Kate have all shot up/snorted in....
[Edited by Gazza]

Yes..but you have no problem takin' the piss anywhere!!

Come to think of it, there were a few colorful individuals in that Pub.
11th February 2008 08:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

Busy day for you and Meg that day...lunch at Amy's favorite pub, dinner at Pilot Inn, a Prince concert and Prince again for the aftershow event. Sigh...what a great day!

You didnt do so bad yourself, considering it was hot on the heels of a 3-4 hour drive through storms followed by a transatlantic flight. As you had already proved your staying power, I think we felt obliged to up the ante a bit.

A glorious and unforgettable week. That Prince aftershow was incredible.
11th February 2008 09:34 AM
Joey
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Bloody hell. The Hawley Arms was just one of those 'must visit' pubs. I always kept meaning to go there, but always ended up somewhere else. Hope it re-opens!

Whenever a pub burns down a little piece of the Joey dies .
11th February 2008 01:26 PM
Honky Tonk Man The 'Camden caners' (as dubbed by The Sun) may loose another pub too
------------------------------------
Amy Winehouse and Kate Moss have joined forces to try to save a 354-year-old pub in East London from the effects of developers.

The George Tavern on Commercial Road, Stepney, has hosted the likes of the Rolling Stones, Nick Cave and Duran Duran but is now under threat from a block of flats set to be built next door.

Winehouse is said to have designed a 'Save The George Tavern' t-shirt, while Moss reportedly wore it at a Whitechapel fashion shoot for a magazine.

The listed pub, whose building's structure would remain unaffected by the construction of the flats on top of a neighbouring night club, has recently been visited by Justin Timberlake and Adrien Brody.

However, the pub survives because it is a regular venue for photoshoots which depend on its unique lighting.

The proposed block of flats would block the light, potentially threatening the pub's existence.

Landlady Pauline Foster wrote on the pub's MySpace page: The George survives because of these photo/film shoots and the place is so sought after because of the very special light.

"This light will be blocked by the new residential development, putting an end to this livelihood. The shoots bring money into the area, they also bring an air of excitement to the community."

Adfero Ltd

[Edited by Honky Tonk Man]
11th February 2008 01:36 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Winehouse is said to have designed a 'Save The George Tavern' t-shirt

Wow, many talents!
11th February 2008 02:37 PM
SweetVirginia Here's Amy at Hawley Arms some time in the past:

And a mid-fire photo:

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
11th February 2008 04:07 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Here's Amy at Hawley Arms some time in the past:

And a mid-fire photo:

[Edited by SweetVirginia]

Looks like she has a similar ass to Mick.
11th February 2008 07:25 PM
glencar I never went there. I always thought of Camden as a bit of a dump, which is what the one in the USA certainly is.
12th February 2008 08:11 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
I never went there. I always thought of Camden as a bit of a dump, which is what the one in the USA certainly is.

Camden has certain charm to it and with its music and celebrity connections, its long been seen as a hotspot. If your not impressed by any of that, nor the market, you'll probably dislike the area. There are plenty of druggies and dodgy types to avoid. That's for certain!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)