ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Beacon Theater, NYC - 1st November 2006
© ¿?... Thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Music cannot change the world, says Neil Young Return to archive
8th February 2008 03:08 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Music cannot change the world, says Neil Young
Feb 8 11:02 AM US/Eastern
Breitbart.com

Canadian folk rock legend Neil Young said he has lost all hope that music can change the world, as he presented a documentary about his 2006 anti-war concert tour at the Berlin film festival on Friday.

"I know that the time when music could change the world is past. I really doubt that a single song can make a difference. It is a reality," Young told reporters.

"I don't think the tour had any impact on voters."

But the silver-haired frontman of the sixties supergroup Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young nonetheless dealt US President George W. Bush a stinging, back-handed insult and said his own "naive" urge to make people think remains intact.

"What is wrong with George Bush? That would take a really long time. Let's talk about what is right with him, it is a much shorter answer.

"He is a very good physical specimen. He shows that a man his age can stay in physical condition," said Young, who is 62.

He made no distinction between the Vietnam War, during which CSNY first earned their reputation as political activists, and the US-led war in Iraq which their tour condemned with songs like "Let's Impeach The President".

"It is all the same war and it hurts everybody. It's a wrong way to solve a problem," he said, adding that Americans were deluded if they thought they were liberating Iraq.

"We just don't have to go and spread democracy around the world."

Young said he deliberately included interviews with unimpressed critics and soldiers who served in Iraq and Afghanistan in the documentary of his band's "Freedom of Speech" reunion tour, which earned them both praise and death threats.

"Otherwise I thought it would just feel like a bunch of old hippies. And nobody would care. I would not, I would have left," said Young, who directs his films under the pseudonym Bernard Shakey.

"I wanted to serve the people who came to see the shows, to serve the soldiers who fought in the war and to serve the people who started the war. It sounds naive but everybody has to make a decision in their hearts about how they want to live."

"CSNY: Deja Vu", which borrows its title from an album the band released in 1970, had its world premier at the Sundance Film Festival in January.

It is screening in the Berlinale Special section of the Berlin festival, which has this year made music a headline act by bringing The Rolling Stones, Madonna and rock poetess Patti Smith to town.

Martin Scorcese's Stones concert film "Shine A Light" opened the festival with a bang on Thursday night and the Oscar-winning director said he wanted to pay tribute to the vintage rockers as they had inspired his work from "Mean Streets" through to "The Departed."

Coming days will see screenings of Madonna's directorial debut, "Filth and Wisdom," movies about Sudanese hip-hop artists and Argentinian tango and "Om Shanti Om", the Bollywood song and dance blockbuster.

Patti Smith will attend a screening of a documentary on her career and play a sold-out concert on the festival sidelines.

Young, who managed the quirky feat of singing every line of dialogue in his 2003 film "Greendale" said music was a "primal subject" for the movies.

But the genre has changed little in his time, he added.

"I have not seen tremendous growth, any evolution really. From the Sinatra years, The Who's 'The Kids Are Alright' ... directors have always made films about music culture. There have been some great ones though."
8th February 2008 03:56 PM
glencar Another boring read...
8th February 2008 05:36 PM
guitarman53 Music can't change the world today is true, it's a different world, this ain't the 60's.
8th February 2008 05:39 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Another boring read...

Did you read the WHOLE thing?
8th February 2008 06:45 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
Music can't change the world today is true, it's a different world, this ain't the 60's.

Or the 50's.

8th February 2008 07:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Maybe the music isn't as good as it used to be????
Maybe everyone has become too jaded and cynical?
Maybe Yin has finally beat the yang?
Maybe Wiley caught the Road Runner?
8th February 2008 07:18 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
8th February 2008 07:35 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Maybe the music isn't as good as it used to be????
Maybe everyone has become too jaded and cynical?
Maybe Yin has finally beat the yang?
Maybe Wiley caught the Road Runner?

#1 probably not
#2 most likely
#3 who knows
#4 no way
8th February 2008 07:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
#4 no way

Way!

8th February 2008 08:23 PM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Another boring read...

The same can be said for about 99% of your posts.
8th February 2008 08:55 PM
mojoman the world wont forget neils music
8th February 2008 09:04 PM
guitarman53
quote:

Or the 50's.

Right on!!! now you're talking!!
8th February 2008 09:15 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I don't think he's exactly boring. It's just that his wit is dull. He just ain't witty. That's no crime. He needs a mentor that's all. Joey can help.

8th February 2008 09:24 PM
glencar
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Unlike your scintillating Linda Keith thread? Why do you insist on posting pictures of people from 40 years ago?
8th February 2008 10:30 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:

I don't think he's exactly boring. It's just that his wit is dull. He just ain't witty. That's no crime. He needs a mentor that's all. Joey can help.

i think another mid winter plunge in the sound might do him some good
9th February 2008 12:03 AM
gypsy
quote:
glencar wrote:
Unlike your scintillating Linda Keith thread? Why do you insist on posting pictures of people from 40 years ago?

That's just mean!
Voodoo loves Linda Keith b/c she helped Jimi Hendrix's career.
9th February 2008 01:49 AM
TampabayStone
quote:

Joey can help.

Nigga Please. Joey's good for weedin' not postin'........

Photobucket
9th February 2008 05:14 AM
corgi37 Now is not a good time for right wingers.

AND I FUCKING LOVE IT!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)