ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Beacon Theater, NYC - 1st November 2006
© ¿?... Thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones sound Return to archive Page: 1 2
1st February 2008 05:37 PM
hearyousigh Do you like the Stones sound better now with all the back up musicians or the 70;s?
1st February 2008 05:38 PM
mojoman
quote:
hearyousigh wrote:
Do you like the Stones sound better now with all the back up musicians or the 70;s?

i like the 1969 tour sound
1st February 2008 05:50 PM
delf I like the 81 tour sound myself.
1st February 2008 05:53 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
hearyousigh wrote:
Do you like the Stones sound better now with all the back up musicians or the 70;s?

i think they have a more rounded out sound now... i never felt like they were limited tho.
bands like u2 are limited..its always been just the 4 of them and no one else. i like them, but they are predictable...if you know what i mean

i think if the stones tour again it would be awesome if they busted out one song that has strings on it....wouldn't that be something
1st February 2008 06:13 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
hearyousigh wrote:

Well, which year of the '70s? Early-, mid-, or late-? I think they sounded better in '89 than they did in '76, for instance. It's also important to remember that, even today, the backup musicians are used to varying degrees in the set. Do they rely on them too much? Probably. But it's easy to turn them into scapegoats for what are often weaknesses of the band itself.
1st February 2008 06:52 PM
mojoman
quote:
delf wrote:
I like the 81 tour sound myself.

i didnt like the 81 sound back in 81 but it sounds awesome now
2nd February 2008 06:04 AM
Mr Jurkka I think stones sounded best on Steel Wheels/urban jungle tour! They sounded better than tattoo you tour. Other tour they sounded fucking great was licks tour!
2nd February 2008 09:40 AM
gimmekeef Let there be no doubt...Stones 72 were the essence of r&r...Nothing can touch that roar...ever...
2nd February 2008 04:55 PM
Jaggedblues
quote:
hearyousigh wrote:

I do think they sound great now, still, after all these years. Even now I think they're still the best band in the world.

But as enjoyable as the modern day Stones are, it clearly can't hold a candle to the wild rockin abandon of Winter 73 and the loud beautiful guitars of 78.
2nd February 2008 07:10 PM
mrhipfl The Rolling Stones have always sounded like shit. I don't understand why so many people talk about them here.
2nd February 2008 07:45 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
The Rolling Stones have always sounded like shit. I don't understand why so many people talk about them here.

2nd February 2008 09:41 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
hearyousigh wrote:

That is not a good 1st post, noobie. Sorry, it just wasnt'.
3rd February 2008 07:04 AM
IanBillen
Actually,

I think the Cleveland Licks show demonstrated a combination of tightness, while some how still having that full, rounded out sound.

I don't know how but it certainly did to my ears. I even moved around the arena to check if it was just more evident in my section but it was all over.

I saw them at Pittsburgh and it was (while not as good as Cleveland) still there in that same vain.

Then on that same tour I seen them at Giants Stadium and the sound was different than the arena's but still it was a nice mix of tight punch, with a thick over-all feel.

I particularly like that tours sound the best.

Ian
3rd February 2008 08:39 AM
Lazy Bones 69 and 72
3rd February 2008 12:25 PM
Lord (Hetero) Best in 71 - 73 when it was Taylor and Keith on guitars in their prime, Jagger singing and blowing great, Wyman and Watts most excellent. The horns were there and Nicky and Stu too. Mix and performance was there, setlists were new and perfect.
69 was also good but was a first for big sound so still working on PAs and guitar sound.
78 was also very good but too many stadiums with the raggedy sound; didn't mesh too well. was great inside tho.
81 is where Charlie played too mecahnical and Bill while playing great had a shitty Bass. Everything was played very fast.
Of the post 89 sound it is weird: I prefer them as stripped down as possible, yet I now like 89 the most.
3rd February 2008 12:45 PM
lotsajizz 89-90 was the highest consistent skill level IMHO
3rd February 2008 12:51 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

That is not a good 1st post, noobie. Sorry, it just wasnt'.

LOL I don't even remember writing this one, greaaaaaat.

Welcome!
3rd February 2008 01:03 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
The Rolling Stones have always sounded like shit. I don't understand why so many people talk about them here.

Well aint' you a treat.
3rd February 2008 01:49 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

Who let Don Shula in here?
3rd February 2008 02:41 PM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Actually,

I think the Cleveland Licks show demonstrated a combination of tightness, while some how still having that full, rounded out sound.

I don't know how but it certainly did to my ears. I even moved around the arena to check if it was just more evident in my section but it was all over.

I saw them at Pittsburgh and it was (while not as good as Cleveland) still there in that same vain.

Then on that same tour I seen them at Giants Stadium and the sound was different than the arena's but still it was a nice mix of tight punch, with a thick over-all feel.

I particularly like that tours sound the best.

Ian

Licks was my favourite tour since 1973. Main complaint was how high the keyboard was in the mix, although it was less than it had been for a while and was less prominent again on ABB, a tour which while it had its moments saw a downturn in terms of being interesting and in overall performances (although the summer 2007 shows I saw were generally a bit better than those a year earlier)

Cleveland is one of the best shows of the entire Licks tour, and certainly up there with Oakland and Wembley #1 as the best of the arena shows.

I didnt know you were at Giants...before your time on this board I suppose. Quite a few of us were at that one, including myself. I didnt think it was one of the better shows actually. The stadium show I saw at Anaheim a month later was, by contrast, one of the best stadium gigs I've ever seen by anyone, even though I was so far up and at the back, I was probably closer to Phoenix than L.A.

[Edited by Gazza]
3rd February 2008 03:32 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
89-90 was the highest consistent skill level IMHO

I THINK CHARLIE IMPROVED AS A DRUMMER AFTER 1990
3rd February 2008 03:44 PM
speedfreakjive although 72' was the peak of The Stones' performance levels in terms of playing, the sound wasn't the best IMO, that accolade would have to go to either 81 or ABB.
81 because both Keith's and Ronnie's guitars sounded juicy
ABB because I saw them for the 2nd time at Twickenham #1 and the sound was extremely well rounded, much better than when I saw them on Licks

[Edited by speedfreakjive]
4th February 2008 07:12 PM
Bitch
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
89-90 was the highest consistent skill level IMHO

agreed. And the DVD from ATLANTIC CITY 1989 pounds out sounds so big and hard the experience is fvcking Rolling Stones ecstacy

ps Thanx Santa Baby
4th February 2008 11:16 PM
IanBillen [quote]Gazza wrote:

Licks was my favourite tour since 1973. Main complaint was how high the keyboard was in the mix, although it was less than it had been for a while and was less prominent again on ABB, a tour which while it had its moments saw a downturn in terms of being interesting and in overall performances (although the summer 2007 shows I saw were generally a bit better than those a year earlier)

Cleveland is one of the best shows of the entire Licks tour, and certainly up there with Oakland and Wembley #1 as the best of the arena shows.

I didnt know you were at Giants...before your time on this board I suppose. Quite a few of us were at that one, including myself. I didnt think it was one of the better shows actually. The stadium show I saw at Anaheim a month later was, by contrast, one of the best stadium gigs I've ever seen by anyone, even though I was so far up and at the back, I was probably closer to Phoenix than L.A.

Hi,

Yes Cleveland Licks was simply special. GREAT sound, Ronnie was on fire during CYHMK. Ronnie played his tail off that show I remember. They were "tight" on that show, and that tour.

I didn't know you were at GIANTS. That was my Va-ca in 2002. Go and spend a few days in Manhattan and then go to NJ to see The Stones. I still checked the board but some how missed it or was over-looking it or did not check in as much and missed the thread. Angie was good there at Giants.

So what do you think about their recording talks/record deal talks?

I think they are searching around. Like I said still a working band and they are just continuing like they always have. They ain't done just yet. "Their WILL be another Stones studio album". "Gazza, you WILL buy it. You WILL like it"!. lol, ....thought you'd appreciate that. Sound kinda familiar when it comes to The Stones. Remember the Urban Jungle tour commercial that said: "You WILL attend, you WILL rock and roll". I think it was when that part of the tour ventured into communist territory.

Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
[Edited by IanBillen]
4th February 2008 11:37 PM
andrews27 Can anyone ID a good torrent of Cleveland Licks? Can anybody put it on the tracker?

I was at Pittsburgh and thought it VG+, esp. as dress rehearsal for MSG on HBO.

Otherwise - 72, 73, best of 75, best of 78. Today they sound too much like Doc Severinsen's orchestra, with special guest Chuck Leavell.

[Edited by andrews27]
6th February 2008 09:33 AM
Make It Funky I quite enjoy the '75 tour sound. They started slowing things down a bit, not zipping through the tunes with lightning speed. Maybe it was Ollie Brown? haha But definetely the El Mo '77 shows are a highlight of "sound".

the '71 farewell tour, Leeds particularly kicks ass.. Keiths guitar is quite thick and nasty.. and the late '73 shows, Taylor's slide, unimaginable!!!!!

And I think for the most part, except for Midnight Rambler, they havent really had a definitive "sound" since '77. Its jsut been noise, and the occasional interplay, taht has probably even amazed them. A song here, a song there doesnt really constitute as a "sound". I think a whole tour gives a better representation.

Cheers World!
Ian
6th February 2008 01:31 PM
Chris74 No doubt about this: the 70ies sound of the Stones was way better. Today the Stones do the Vegas act, I am no big fan of that. Also Mick sings not tough but kind of gay today.
Until 1981 the Stones were the greatest. After that they turned Vegas. I guess that's simply due to age.
6th February 2008 02:43 PM
texile
quote:
Jaggedblues wrote:

the loud beautiful guitars of 78.

that's it for me.....
the 71-74 taylor era will always be the most sublime period for me, artistically.
but the some girls, ER and tattoo you sound is what i think of when i think of the 'stones sound' -
those sloppy, jingle jangle guitars took the stones in a slightly different direction,
however, they were never able to get it back after that.

8th February 2008 01:43 PM
CraigP
quote:
hearyousigh wrote:

Are you referring to the what I call 'The Circus'???

They are embarrassing.

I like the back-up on exile but we're talking live tho...

I like the '81 live tone the most - No circus. I did like Keith's hot guitar distortion and long solos playing the Ernie Ball Music Man in '89/90.
[Edited by CraigP]
8th February 2008 03:38 PM
texile i must clarify that i fucking HATE the 81 live sound.....
but from 78-81 on record is, for me, the pinnacle of what I identify as the 'stones sound'...
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)