ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Beacon Theater, NYC - 1st November 2006
© ¿?... Thanks!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Shine a Light" to premiere at Berlin Int'l Film Festival (Update - London premiere info) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th January 2008 06:18 PM
Mel Belli January 15, 2008

Martin Scorsese’s “SHINE A LIGHT” to Open
the 58th Berlin International Film Festival

The 58th Belinale has selected the ultimate Rolling Stones concert film, “SHINE A LIGHT,” from Oscar®-winning director Martin Scorsese, to open the festival on February 7, 2008, with Scorsese and The Rolling Stones in attendance.

Scorsese assembled an award-winning camera team to capture the raw energy of the world’s greatest rock ‘n roll band in two concerts at the Beacon Theatre on October 29th and November 1st 2006. Using sixteen 35mm cameras and one Genesis Hi Def camera to shoot more than half-a-million feet of concert footage, Oscar®-winning cinematographer Robert Richardson (The Aviator, JFK) supervised a team which included several highly acclaimed directors of photography: Oscar® winner John Toll (The Last Samurai, Braveheart); Oscar® winner Andrew Lesnie (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, King Kong); Oscar® nominee Stuart Dryburgh (The Piano, The Painted Veil), Oscar® nominee Robert Elswit (Magnolia, Good Night and Good Luck); Oscar® nominee Emmanuel Lubezki (Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events, Sleepy Hollow); and Ellen Kuras (Summer of Sam, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind). The film was edited by David Tedeschi, who received an Emmy nomination for his work with Scorsese on the acclaimed Bob Dylan documentary, No Direction Home: Bob Dylan.

With special guest performances from Christina Aguilera, Buddy Guy and Jack White III of the White Stripes, the two Beacon concerts form the heart of the film. “SHINE A LIGHT” also features rarely seen archival footage and current behind the scenes footage and interviews shot using additional Hi Def, DV Cam, 16mm and 8mm cameras. With this extensive camera coverage and intimacy of the setting, Scorsese has created an extraordinary musical film event and given audiences unprecedented access to the Rolling Stones both on stage and off.

Produced and financed by Steve Bing's Shangri-La Entertainment and long-time Stones tour promoter Michael Cohl's Concert Promotions International, producers are Victoria Pearman, Michael Cohl, Zane Weiner and Steve Bing. Executive producers are Stones members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, with Jane Rose as co-executive producer.

In making the announcement, Festival Director Dieter Kosslick said “We are extremely excited to have the World Premiere of this magnificent film as our opening gala. Martin Scorsese has again set the gold standard when it comes to capturing the pure essence of an iconic band on the big screen.”

The film will be released in North America on April 4th, 2008 by Paramount Classics.

Paramount Classics In Association with Concert Productions International and Shangri-La Entertainment Presents A Martin Scorsese Picture “Shine A Light” starring Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood with Christina Aguilera, Buddy Guy and Jack White III. . The film is directed by Martin Scorsese. The producers are Victoria Pearman, Michael Cohl, Zane Weiner and Steve Bing. The executive producers are Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood. The co-executive producer is Jane Rose. The director of photography is Robert Richardson, ASC. The film is edited by David Tedeschi. The concert sets are designed by Mark Fisher. The concert lighting is designed by Patrick Woodroffe. This film has been rated PG-13 for brief strong language, drug references and smoking.
15th January 2008 07:00 PM
fireontheplatter i am looking forward to seeing this film.

will it be shown in imax...big screen, big sound....does anyone know?
15th January 2008 08:07 PM
GimmeExile This will raise the profile of the Berlin Film Festival. Nice change from Cannes, Venice, Toronto film festivals getting all the publicity.
15th January 2008 08:49 PM
open-g
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
This will raise the profile of the Berlin Film Festival. Nice change from Cannes, Venice, Toronto film festivals getting all the publicity.

I don't care what profile they may have - but if I get in, it'll sure will raise mine....

World Premiere im my city - wow yeah!
15th January 2008 10:36 PM
gimmekeef I'm starting the Atlanta Film Festival now....
16th January 2008 07:07 AM
Gazza February 7th, eh?

Come on, rs.com - show your organisation isn't exclusively geared towards the US and dangle a few tickets in the direction of your European fans for a change....
16th January 2008 07:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
This film has been rated PG-13 for brief strong language, drug references and smoking.

Jesus wept...
16th January 2008 07:17 AM
Gazza here's the press release -

Jan 15, 2008:
World Premiere of Martin Scorsese’s Shine A Light to open the 58th Berlin International Film Festival

The Rolling Stones concert film Shine A Light from Oscar® winning director Martin Scorsese will open the festival on February 7, 2008 with the director and band in attendance.

Scorsese assembled an award-winning camera team to capture the raw energy of the world’s greatest rock ‘n roll band in two concerts at the Beacon Theatre, N.Y., on October 29th and November 1st 2006. Using sixteen cameras, more than half a million feet of concert footage were shot. The two concerts with special guest performances from Jack White of the White Stripes, Christina Aguilera, and Buddy Guy form the heart of the film. Shine A Light also features rarely-seen archival footage and current behind the scenes footage and interviews. With this extensive camera coverage and the intimacy of the setting, Scorsese has created an extraordinary musical film event and given audiences unprecedented access to the Rolling Stones both on stage and off.

Oscar®-winning cinematographer Robert Richardson (The Aviator, JFK) supervised a team which included several highly acclaimed directors of photography: Oscar® winner John Toll (The Last Samurai, Braveheart); Oscar® winner Andrew Lesnie (The Lord of the Rings trilogy, King Kong); Oscar® nominee Stuart Dryburgh (The Piano, The Painted Veil), Oscar® nominee Robert Elswit (Magnolia, Good Night and Good Luck); Oscar® nominee Emmanuel Lubezki (Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events, Sleepy Hollow); and Ellen Kuras (Summer of Sam, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind).

Shine A Light was produced by Steve Bing's Shangri-La Entertainment and long-time Stones Tour Promoter Michael Cohl's Concert Promotions International.

“We are extremely excited to have the World Premiere of this magnificent film as our opening gala,” says Festival Director Dieter Kosslick. “Martin Scorsese has captured the pure essence of an iconic band on the big screen”.

The distributor Kinowelt will release the film in Germany in spring 2008.

Press Office
January 17, 2008

Official site of the Berlin International Film Festival :
http://www.berlinale.de/en/HomePage.html

16th January 2008 08:29 AM
luxury1 Gazza--you should drop that line to RS.con directly. They could use a little prodding and reminder that there are FANS out here.
16th January 2008 08:37 AM
Gazza You bet I will..LOL
16th January 2008 09:29 AM
corgi37 I dont know how much "archival" stuff will be shown, but fuck me, there is some amazing talent behind the cameras!

I am more excited about the dvd release. I mean, 20 million cazillion feet of film? What the fuck is that? AM i supposed to be impressed? We know it will be a 90 min or so movie. But the dvd will probably have many extras.

Plus, i dont like going to the pictures. To many, you know, people there. Yuk.

Plus, i have to wear pants!
[Edited by corgi37]
16th January 2008 12:27 PM
gimmekeef U2's new movie 3D is debuting at Sundance.Wonder if Berlin was chosen as to not set up direct comparisons or to get higher press coverage. I mean in all due respect I had never heard of Berlin festival.
16th January 2008 01:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
U2's new movie 3D is debuting at Sundance.Wonder if Berlin was chosen as to not set up direct comparisons or to get higher press coverage. I mean in all due respect I had never heard of Berlin festival.

More to do with whatever time of the year its released, I think. There was talk it would have been premiered at Venice, had it been released as scheduled last September.
16th January 2008 01:52 PM
glencar Well well well, it's finally coming around! I look forward to April 4th but I now also look forward to hearing the "shizzle" after Feb. 7th.
16th January 2008 01:55 PM
Bitch
quote:
Gazza wrote:
here's the press release -

Jan 15, 2008:
World Premiere of Martin Scorsese’s Shine A Light to open the 58th Berlin International Film Festival

The Rolling Stones concert film Shine A Light from Oscar® winning director Martin Scorsese will open the festival on February 7, 2008 with the director and band in attendance.

This is great & exciting news for the German & European fans! So does this mean there will not be any NY concerts to promote SAL as rumored?
16th January 2008 01:56 PM
glencar The word is "No" Bitch. But we should all meet up in Manhattan on April 4th for the premiere.
16th January 2008 01:57 PM
glencar Well, I guess the NYC premiere will be the day before. I meant opening night.
16th January 2008 02:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
Bitch wrote:

This is great & exciting news for the German & European fans! So does this mean there will not be any NY concerts to promote SAL as rumored?

No, it doesnt mean that. Just that the world premiere of the film is in Berlin. The film doesnt open until April 4th. Nothing has changed.
16th January 2008 02:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well well well, it's finally coming around! I look forward to April 4th but I now also look forward to hearing the "shizzle" after Feb. 7th.

Early February could be when we hear a few things, I fancy. It was around then that rs.com were to advise us of more info about the New York premiere, and now it so happens the film is being premiered in Berlin that week...with the band all being there.

Just speculation on my part, but maybe with the band all being together around that time, thats when they might announce any concert appearances?
16th January 2008 02:25 PM
glencar I'd love to know sooner as I really do have plans to make & airfares are going up faster than Kate Moss's knickers!
17th January 2008 04:08 PM
Gazza I contacted both the marketing and ticket departments of the Berlin Film Festival to ask if there was any way that some tickets would be made available to Stones fans for the premiere, but (as I expected) it seems this is an industry-only event and press accreditation closed a month ago. It does seem, however, that the film WILL be shown during the festival and that tickets will be available to the public.

Dear Gary

Thank you for your interest. The opening screening "Shine a light" is a non public screening. Tickets for the repetition of this film are available four days in advance at the central box office in Potsdamer Platz as well as online. The complete program will be published on the 29th of January. Please have a look on our website www.berlinale.de.

17th January 2008 04:25 PM
mojoman
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
U2's new movie 3D is debuting at Sundance.Wonder if Berlin was chosen as to not set up direct comparisons or to get higher press coverage. I mean in all due respect I had never heard of Berlin festival.

you will not be greeted
17th January 2008 05:57 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
mojoman wrote:

you will not be greeted

Pity.....but I'll still be able to sleep tonight...Just an opinion mate
17th January 2008 07:04 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Berlin is not as big a deal as Cannes or Toronto, and probably not Venice, but it's nothing to sneeze at either. It gets wall-to-wall coverage from the wire services (Reuters, Agence France-Presse, etc.) and gets plenty of celebrities in attendance. There's absolutely no reason to think they've got an inferiority complex vis-a-vis U2's movie -- which I've seen. Pretty cool, but a far different spectacle, I think, than what the Stones are offering with "Shine a Light." "U2:3D" is basically "At the Max," but with technology that's become much more refined over the last 18 years.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
17th January 2008 10:43 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
U2's new movie 3D is debuting at Sundance.Wonder if Berlin was chosen as to not set up direct comparisons or to get higher press coverage.

Bono marches by the beat of love.
18th January 2008 09:36 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

Bono marches by the beat of love.

Well just keep marching the fuck outta here then.....Theres a Sunglass Hut with your name on it somewhere
18th January 2008 11:42 AM
open-g
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
....I had never heard of Berlin festival.

Your loss.

Berlin International Film Festival, also called the Berlinale is one of the world's leading film festivals held in Berlin, Germany.
Founded in 1951, the festival is celebrated annually in Summer.
since 1978 in February.
with more than 200.000 sold tickets and around 400.000 admissions it is considered the biggest publicly-attended film festival worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_International_Film_Festival
[Edited by open-g]
18th January 2008 11:45 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
open-g wrote:

Your loss.

Berlin International Film Festival, also called the Berlinale is one of the world's leading film festivals held in Berlin, Germany.
Founded in 1951, the festival is celebrated annually in Summer.
since 1978 in February.
with more than 200.000 sold tickets and around 400.000 admissions it is considered the biggest publicly-attended film festival worldwide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_International_Film_Festival
[Edited by open-g]

Thanks for the info...Always good to know..like I said didnt mean any disrespect I'm just not up on these things.
18th January 2008 11:46 AM
open-g
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Well just keep marching the fuck outta here then.....Theres a Sunglass Hut with your name on it somewhere

Lol, yeah keep marching...straight over the edge
18th January 2008 12:00 PM
steel driving hammer
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)