ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Most Unpsychedelic in History. Return to archive
14th February 2007 05:25 PM
guitarman53 The Grateful Dead has got to be the most unpsychedelic in history, People who come to mind are Pink Floyd, ChocolateWatch Band, 13th Floor Elevators, & just about any band from these times.
Jerry Garica wasn't Caption Trips, he was a heroin addict, he doesn't come close to being a psychedelic caption of anything, Roky Erickson should be the Caption.
14th February 2007 05:27 PM
Brian Jones Girl
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
People who come to mind are Pink Floyd, ChocolateWatch Band, 13th Floor Elevators, & just about any band from these times.

What about The Strawberry Alarm Clock?

I never liked The Grateful Dead either, I don't consider them psychedelic.
14th February 2007 05:30 PM
Gazza
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
The Grateful Dead has got to be the most unpsychedelic in history, People who come to mind are Pink Floyd, ChocolateWatch Band, 13th Floor Elevators, & just about any band from these times.

I'd say The Monkees.
14th February 2007 05:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'd say The Monkees.

14th February 2007 05:33 PM
pdog Republicans!
14th February 2007 05:36 PM
Brian Jones Girl I think the only psychedelic thing The Monkees did was The Porpoise Song AKA The Theme Song From Head
14th February 2007 05:37 PM
pdog I take mine back....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
14th February 2007 07:45 PM
Honky Tonk Man The Kinks never really went through a psychedelic phase.
14th February 2007 07:48 PM
lotsajizz this thread led off with a post expressing an opinion about the Dead very obviously made by someone who never ever saw them and clearly hasn't heard much of them.....
14th February 2007 08:44 PM
mojoman they certainly ingested some psychedelics....i read somewhere that was roger waters opinion also about the sf rock scene he didnt mention them specifically but said the bands were country sounding or something which they certainly were. the deads first release was certainly more traditional compared to syd's floyd. anthem of the sun the deads second album certainly is a psychedelic masterpiece more so than saucerful though perhaps not as out there as ummagumma. other great releases of the era besides satanic majesties, spirits first, soft machine II, after bathing at baxters.....
14th February 2007 08:52 PM
sirmoonie I did shrooms at a Dead show in Ventura. I was flying high, absolutely flying high. So was damn near everyone.
14th February 2007 08:53 PM
pdog When I took LSD, every band was a psychedelic band...
14th February 2007 08:54 PM
lotsajizz those were the daze, moonie....btw, Veneta? the Aug '82 show or the '93 one....the 8-27-72 legendary Veneta show I think we can rule out?
14th February 2007 08:57 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
those were the daze, moonie....btw, Veneta? the Aug '82 show or the '93 one....the 8-27-72 legendary Veneta show I think we can rule out?

Ventura County Fairgrounds, they played three days in a row as I recall, had to be summer of '84 or '85.
14th February 2007 09:00 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:
When I took LSD, every band was a psychedelic band...

exactly....even bootie and the hoefish
14th February 2007 09:52 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
I did shrooms at a Dead show in Ventura. I was flying high, absolutely flying high. So was damn near everyone.

Who were the Grateful Dead and why did they keep following me around?

Every time I did 'shrooms they played Dark Star.
Bastards!

BTW, two Ventura shows each in '84 and '85.

(Thanks to psilo.com for the stubs)
14th February 2007 10:19 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Who were the Grateful Dead and why did they keep following me around?

Every time I did 'shrooms they played Dark Star.
Bastards!

BTW, two Ventura shows each in '84 and '85.

(Thanks to psilo.com for the stubs)

Haha! Far out, Shoe Scoots. Must have been summer '84 - upon further reflection, The Man was trying to get me in summer of '85, I didn't have a goddam dime.

Those were cool shows, and I'm no Dead fan. All out sex and drugs too, everywhere and eberyone all out. Debauch. Debauch was the word we used.
15th February 2007 12:16 AM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
those were the daze, moonie....btw, Veneta? the Aug '82 show or the '93 one....the 8-27-72 legendary Veneta show I think we can rule out?

The '92 Veneta Field Trip (there was no '93) was cancelled due to Jerry's illness (I had tix). I missed '82 but I was there in '72. The concert site is a field/lot owned by the Oregon Country Fair (Google it); I'm on the Board of Directors of OCF.
15th February 2007 02:37 AM
Zack This is a candidate for dumbest thread ever. The hate initially expressed for some very good bands has a whiff of trolldom. The original poster has obviously never heard "What's Become of the Baby?" which is the aural equivalent of nitrous oxide, or a dozen more tunes.

Besides, the most unpsychedelic band of all time is the Beach Boys. They tried, bless their hearts, but only made themselves to look like fools.
15th February 2007 05:52 AM
lotsajizz the Beach Boys and the Dead actually jammed together on 4-27-71 for several songs....not too bad....
15th February 2007 06:06 AM
Homercles The Velvet Underground weren't pychedelic, pyscho maybe but definitely not psychedelic
15th February 2007 07:03 AM
Zack
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the Beach Boys and the Dead actually jammed together on 4-27-71 for several songs....not too bad....

You got that Sean? I've been looking for it for years.
15th February 2007 08:14 AM
Olompali Ken Kesey, Hunter Thompson, Timothy Leary, Ram Dass, Robert Stone and thousands of other pioneering "psychonauts" beg to differ with the original post.

The Grateful Dead created musical journeys to trip along through the hours.
Aside from two of their lp's (Anthem and Aoxomoxoa) they ultimately avoided dated studio gags and let the guitars and drums be the guides through the dimensions.
Truly psychedelic.
15th February 2007 01:00 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Zack wrote:

You got that Sean? I've been looking for it for years.

pm me with a snail mail addy and its yours, Zack!

15th February 2007 01:40 PM
BILL PERKS I WOULDNT HAVE GONE TO A DEAD SHOW FOR ALL THE ASS AND DRUGS THERE EVER WAS..THEY SUCKED MONKEY BALLS AND THEIR FANS, FOR THE MOST PART,WERE BRAIN DEAD IDIOTS.
15th February 2007 03:51 PM
lotsajizz don't hold back there, Bill, what do you REALLY think?

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)