ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones "facts" from Wikipedia Return to archive
14th February 2007 02:40 PM
twicks1 I'd never heard these before. Can anyone verify?

The Stones' song "Start Me Up" was used by Microsoft to launch their Windows 95 operating system...the band initially submitted a version of the song without the departed Wyman, in an attempt to avoid paying him royalties; Microsoft demanded, and received, the original recording.

The Rolling Stones ended the 1990s with their album Bridges to Babylon (UK #6; US #3) released in 1997 to mixed reviews. The album featured another prolific bassist, Doug Wimbish, a journeyman session player and solo artist. Wimbish was offered the permanent position of bass player by the band, but declined, and so did not play on the ensuing tour.
14th February 2007 02:43 PM
pdog Wikipedia isn't known for being accurate...
the only truth is Stones did give Microsoft SMU, but it was not in 1995, it was way earlier, or time is going way to fast for me...
14th February 2007 02:51 PM
Saint Sway for Stones info...

I NEVER use Wikipedia.

I ONLY use Gazza.

14th February 2007 02:53 PM
pdog gazza has forgotten more, than most of us will ever know!
14th February 2007 02:54 PM
gypsy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
for Stones info...

I NEVER use Wikipedia.

I ONLY use Gazza.

That dude amazes me with all of his knowledge. And just when I think he couldn't get any cooler, he posts photos of himself with Mohammad Ali and Lucinda Williams.
14th February 2007 03:51 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:
Wikipedia isn't known for being accurate...
the only truth is Stones did give Microsoft SMU, but it was not in 1995, it was way earlier, or time is going way to fast for me...

It was definitely '95. But the bit about Wimbish turning down the Stones, I think, is nonsense. He auditioned, along with many others. But Charlie chose Darryl.
14th February 2007 03:55 PM
pdog
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

It was definitely '95. But the bit about Wimbish turning down the Stones, I think, is nonsense. He auditioned, along with many others. But Charlie chose Darryl.

i thought that TV ad was in the 80's... I've no concept of time... Then again, having used Windows for so long, I beleive I've got spyware in my brain...
Back to Wiki... isn't it true that anyone can put any info into it, whether it's factual or not....?
14th February 2007 04:13 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
pdog wrote:

Back to Wiki... isn't it true that anyone can put any info into it, whether it's factual or not....?

Yup, the content is user-generated. Ideally, it's supposed to harness a sort of collective intelligence. It works pretty well most of the time, since users themselves act as editors and fact-checkers (like right now, if we were so inclined). But there have been abuses.
14th February 2007 04:14 PM
PartyDoll MEG I am convinced Gazza IS Wikipedia..

We need to enter him into one of those TV Quiz shows..maybe he'd share his winnings with us!
14th February 2007 04:17 PM
glencar Jeopardy has gone downhill. In a strive towards "diversity" they've dumbed down the categories.
14th February 2007 04:17 PM
twicks1 I was mostly intrigued by the idea of a re-recorded, Wyman-free "Start Me Up."

Considering I like several of the Stripped versions better than their original studio counterparts, it would be interesting at the least.
14th February 2007 04:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Yup, the content is user-generated. Ideally, it's supposed to harness a sort of collective intelligence. It works pretty well most of the time, since users themselves act as editors and fact-checkers (like right now, if we were so inclined). But there have been abuses.

I submitted that GITD was made after aliens abducted Mick Jagger. And that the Lets Work video never actually existed, it was merely a halogram created by evil wizards.
14th February 2007 04:23 PM
Nellcote I am working on my Wikipedia page.
I have to leave out the years between 1971-1981, as I was convinced it was better for all involved to sign a embargo document, due to the incriminating nature of those years for those who I associated with, as well as myself.
This document expires in 2017, which coincides with
the date all of my known children are of legal age, and the issues with those years will be understood.
My memory of those years could be categorized as "technicolor".
14th February 2007 04:27 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I am working on my Wikipedia page.
I have to leave out the years between 1971-1981, as I was convinced it was better for all involved to sign a embargo document, due to the incriminating nature of those years for those who I associated with, as well as myself.
This document expires in 2017, which coincides with
the date all of my known children are of legal age, and the issues with those years will be understood.
My memory of those years could be categorized as "technicolor".

You actually remember them, Nelly? Impressive!!!
14th February 2007 04:31 PM
Nellcote Meg, for the most part.
It's the known children part which causes problems.
15th February 2007 07:57 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I submitted that GITD was made after aliens abducted Mick Jagger. And that the Lets Work video never actually existed, it was merely a halogram created by evil wizards.

I believe these would fall under speculative, if highly plausible, interpretations.
15th February 2007 07:58 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

And I wonder if there's a, er, "probing" angle to the alien-abduction theory.
15th February 2007 08:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
for Stones info...

I NEVER use Wikipedia.

I ONLY use Gazza.

haha. I'm certainly not worthy. There are a lot of people with more knowledge in their heads, but if you cant remember stuff, its quite easy to look up at the click of a mouse or the turn of a page most of the time.

I've actually made small contributions and corrections to some of the Stones content on their Wiki page (as well as references to the Stones on other pages on that site) but I certainly wasnt responsible for the stuff Twicks1 mentions above.

As said above, the accuracy of some of the stuff is a bit dubious at best, and for a site that likes to insist on citations as proof of factual accuracy, there are a few examples where they dont practice what they preach.

Wimbish was certainly on the shortlist for the bassist job in 1993, but I've never heard of him being offered such a deal four years later. The Stones got $8 million from Microsoft for their Windows95 ad, but I have to admit that Wyman story is a new one on me.
15th February 2007 01:35 PM
BuckBuckBucky test
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)