ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Hipsters, please don’t test me Return to archive
13th February 2007 03:57 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Hipsters, please don’t test me
gateway Feb 13, 2007
Alyssa Pankiw

Enough is enough. People in Edmonton need to stop being pretentious about music already. Music is supposed to bring enjoyment to our lives, not become just another opportunity to exercise exclusivity. At a bar this weekend, I was shocked by the fact that I was actually interrogated about my musical knowledge by a guy that was trying to buy me a beer. I could not believe that my Rolling Stones T-shirt was being questioned for its authenticity, or that I was being pegged as someone with a less-than-average grasp on the definition of decent music, based on, as far as I could tell, nothing more than my appearance.

The guy asked me about my favourite Stones song, then my favourite album and my defensive answers led to an elaborate set of inquiries into dates, names and bios. Hey, I know enough about bands to realize that their music makes me feel good, but hell if I know what Keith Richards’ first pet was named or what month Beggars Banquet was recorded in. That has nothing to do with how good it feels to sing along to “Sympathy for the Devil,” and I believe that getting too technical about music might even begin to take away from its true essence.

The direction music is taking today makes for an interesting amalgamation of genres. Various bands have crossed boundaries that bind different sounds, making the definition of “good” music incredibly elusive. It simultaneously makes a “good” fan hard to label, and that’s why it’s no wonder that the stereotypical Misfits fan of 2006 may not look like they did ten years ago—watch out moms, it’ll be harder to spot if they’ve infiltrated your daughter’s lives—and today’s Deadheads are wearing suits instead of tie-dyed tees.

So don’t assume that you’ll be able to guess someone’s favourite musical genre based solely on what they’re wearing: the fact of the matter is, if you love a band, then you should be able to support it by buying their merchandise. Just don’t wear a Sex Pistols shirt to get the attention of the cute guy with the mohawk in science class, or a Bob Marley beanie to impress that babe with the dreads and the bong in residence. If you fake your love of a band, you will be found out. Trust me; some prick at a pub will make sure of it and you’ll never live it down.

At times, people’s real musical motivation should be questioned, it’s true. I’m just waiting for the day that I’ll be able to express my musical tastes freely and not be quizzed about them by some ostentatious scenester in skinny jeans. So don’t waste my time with vignettes about Bob Dylan’s real name, or drop facts like you know the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. It doesn’t matter how often you frequent the Starlite Room or how much black eyeliner you wear, you still might not know quality music if it hit you in the face with a guitar. And that girl with the bleached blonde hair might actually know every riff of Pink Floyd’s The Wall by heart; you can never really tell. So whether it’s Britney Spears or Black Sabbath that gets you off, sing along whether you know their stats or not. People should respect you for your passion for music—although maybe not Miss Spears’—rather than your memorization of it.

And if you’re wondering about the credibility of my “vintage” Zeppelin tee or my opinion, don’t worry; it comes with the knowledge that “Bron-Y-Aur Stomp” really was about Robert Plant’s dog after all.
13th February 2007 11:21 AM
Saint Sway fascinating read

You gotta admire SirStonesalot for the way he rightfully interrogated this guy at the bar.

Let that be a lesson to anyone else that thinks they can just slip on a Stones tee and hang out at their local pub! Rocks Offers are everywhere and we will out you!
13th February 2007 11:49 AM
mojoman nobody better question me about my vintage mickey mouse t
13th February 2007 11:53 AM
MrPleasant You know, when someone tries to question you, simple: just don't pay him/her any mind.
13th February 2007 12:03 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
You know, when someone tries to question you, simple: just don't pay him/her any mind.

Well it really all depends. If I'm sitting at a bar like this lady was, and some chick was trying to buy me beer, I'd probably be more than happy to impress her with my vast repository of useless musical facts.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
13th February 2007 12:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Well it really all depends. If I'm sitting at a bar like this lady was, and some chick was trying to buy me beer, I'd probably be more than happy to impress her with my vast repository of useless musical facts.

13th February 2007 01:48 PM
pdog So, this guy got a beer brought for him, and was asked about The Stones, and now he's being faux mad to write this article?
13th February 2007 01:50 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:
So, this guy got a beer brought for him, and was asked about The Stones, and now he's being faux mad to write this article?

Actually it was chick that wrote that, not a dude. Maybe it's a little harder to tell the difference where you live.
13th February 2007 01:59 PM
pdog
quote:

Actually it was chick that wrote that, not a dude. Maybe it's a little harder to tell the difference where you live.

I know a hipster when I see one, they wear white belts and spike the hair on the back of there head, I don't care how cool they are, how much cool music they like... I can't talk to people with bad fashion sense, the writer totally missed the real problem... Sad! She could've blown the lid off this! Lids could've been blown, blowing, lids and shit!
13th February 2007 02:05 PM
gypsy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

My heart just ACHES for these young girls today.
13th February 2007 02:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >I can't talk to people with bad fashion sense<

Neither can I. Well at least not without sounding condesending.
13th February 2007 02:10 PM
pdog
quote:
>I can't talk to people with bad fashion sense<

Neither can I. Well at least not without sounding condesending.

Sooo... what was this writer wearing? Was the person she wrote about really a hipster... She fucked up this story, good premise, bad writer... She has set us back years, years are lost.... Wha a hack...
13th February 2007 02:10 PM
pdog
quote:
gypsy wrote:
My heart just ACHES for these young girls today.

We need to hold them, and love them!
13th February 2007 02:15 PM
gypsy
quote:
pdog wrote:

We need to hold them, and love them!

Just like Joey...all that dude does is LOVE.

[Edited by gypsy]
13th February 2007 02:20 PM
pdog
quote:
gypsy wrote:

Just like Joey...all that dude does is LOVE.

[Edited by gypsy]

Are you saying Joey is really a smoking hot slut?
13th February 2007 02:23 PM
gypsy
quote:
pdog wrote:

Are you saying Joey is really a smoking hot slut?

No...just saying that Joey really loves those young messed-up girls.
13th February 2007 02:26 PM
Joey " Just like Joey...all that dude does is LOVE. "

Come To Joeykins ..................................

13th February 2007 02:33 PM
pdog
quote:
gypsy wrote:

No...just saying that Joey really loves those young messed-up girls.

Yes...

xxSlutSxx
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

13th February 2007 02:54 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:

Yes...

xxSlutSxx

i'm feelin the "love" right now
13th February 2007 03:13 PM
pdog
quote:
mojoman wrote:

i'm feelin the "love" right now

the internet is good for only a few things, mostly allowing old pervy guys to llok at hot girls...
Thank you Al Gore...
13th February 2007 03:52 PM
Joey
quote:
pdog wrote:

the internet is good for only a few things, mostly allowing old pervy guys to llok at hot girls...
Thank you Al Gore...

The good Christian loves the Jew. The true Christian knows the Messiah was a Jew and wants the Jews to accept their Messiah.

13th February 2007 03:54 PM
pdog
quote:
Joey wrote:

The good Christian loves the Jew. The true Christian knows the Messiah was a Jew and wants the Jews to accept their Messiah.

13th February 2007 03:55 PM
pdog JOEY!
13th February 2007 04:08 PM
SheRat
quote:
pdog wrote:
So, this guy got a beer brought for him, and was asked about The Stones, and now he's being faux mad to write this article?

No, the article is by a frat girl who bought a 72 tour shirt at the GAP and is now being called on it.

OTOH, dude, you're trying to buy the chick a beer; is making her feel defensive about the Stones shirt she's wearing really a good way to begin your flirting? Why not get in her pants and criticize her LATER about how she's a poseur....

oof.
13th February 2007 04:14 PM
pdog
quote:
SheRat wrote:

No, the article is by a frat girl who bought a 72 tour shirt at the GAP and is now being called on it.

OTOH, dude, you're trying to buy the chick a beer; is making her feel defensive about the Stones shirt she's wearing really a good way to begin your flirting? Why not get in her pants and criticize her LATER about how she's a poseur....

oof.

kinda reminds me of someone... Oh Yeah! skank poseur of the year...
13th February 2007 04:15 PM
Saint Sway wait a second...

not a real Stones fan?

13th February 2007 05:01 PM
pdog I'm not even sure they're real people...
14th February 2007 12:38 PM
Saint Sway "will this shirt make me look like Paris Hilton?"

14th February 2007 01:07 PM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
wait a second...

not a real Stones fan?

the tongue is in the wrong place
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)