ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rick Rubin article (Jagger content) Return to archive
12th February 2007 11:36 AM
twicks1 From this weekend's L.A. Times article on Rick Rubin

Yet even his meditation, rules and great bedside manner don't guarantee things always turn out the way Rubin wants.

Asked about disappointments in the studio, he mentions a veteran British superstar whose band continues to fill stadiums around the world.

Rubin knew the Englishman was used to calling the shots, and he only agreed to produce the solo album after being assured that the artist would keep writing until he and Rubin agreed they had enough good songs for an album.

Early in the process, however, the singer played a song for Rubin and waited for a reaction. Rubin said he liked it, but thought the rocker could do better.

"Well, his face fell," Rubin recalls. "It was probably the first time someone criticized his work in 30 years. I could tell at that point it was going to be an ego-driven project, not a music-driven project."

When asked why he just didn't walk away, Rubin replies, "I approach every record as a fan and I don't give up. Each step of the way, I ask myself, 'Am I satisfied with what I'm hearing?' If not, I'm still a fan. I'm just not satisfied."

And who was that star?

Ever the diplomat, Rubin says with a teasing smile, "Oh, I can't tell you that."
12th February 2007 11:41 AM
Some Guy GITD?
12th February 2007 11:51 AM
Gazza
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
GITD?

Wandering Spirit

Rubin discussed his problems with working with Jagger in Uncut last year, basically saying he was so surrounded by yes-men telling him his shit doesnt stink that he couldnt handle being told "you can write better songs than this"

Cant see why on this occasion Rubin is being so coy about naming the singer in question, even the clues are so bloody obvious as to who it is.
[Edited by Gazza]
12th February 2007 12:01 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Wandering Spirit

Rubin discussed his problems with working with Jagger in Uncut last year, basically saying he was so surrounded by yes-men telling him his shit doesnt stink that he couldnt handle being told "you can write better songs than this"

This explains GITD, no?
12th February 2007 12:41 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

This explains GITD, no?

I dont think mankind will ever quite be able to explain GITD

its like crop circles. Gotta blame it on aliens.
12th February 2007 01:28 PM
Poison Dart The best thing that could happen to the Stones going forward is that Rubin gets them in a studio and demands they write the late in the game classic that they still have in them.

Or we can get another ok album w/yes man Don Was.

The Stones need to make one more great (not simply good ABB,B2B)album.
12th February 2007 01:29 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
The best thing that could happen to the Stones going forward is that Rubin gets them in a studio and demands they write the late in the game classic that they still have in them.

agreed.
12th February 2007 01:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:

More's the pity.
12th February 2007 01:42 PM
Saint Sway I thought that A Bigger Bang was one of Mick's better solo efforts
12th February 2007 01:58 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
The best thing that could happen to the Stones going forward is that Rubin gets them in a studio and demands they write the late in the game classic that they still have in them.

Yep, but it'll never happen. Mick's attitude to Rubin as indicated above and Keith's luddite-like hostility to basically anyone outside of his own peer group guarantees it
12th February 2007 02:09 PM
Ten Thousand Motels >Yep, but it'll never happen. Mick's attitude to Rubin as indicated above and Keith's luddite-like hostility to basically anyone outside of his own peer group guarantees it<

Well that guarentees no more ground breaking albums from the Stones. Someone slap them boys.

12th February 2007 02:56 PM
Mel Belli Well, Rubin may have come away personally disappointed, but I think "Wandering Spirit" holds up pretty well.
12th February 2007 02:58 PM
mojoman rick rubin rock rabbi?
12th February 2007 04:30 PM
The Wick
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Yep, but it'll never happen. Mick's attitude to Rubin as indicated above and Keith's luddite-like hostility to basically anyone outside of his own peer group guarantees it

I'd add that Jagger's constant desire to always have some contemporary aspect to his vision pretty much sinks most good things. I was just looking over that Starbucks the Rolling Stones Artists Choice CD where the Stones select the tracks that matter to them. One of Jagger's is a Sade track. I've got nothing against Sade and I don't buy the old Keith is the heart of the Stones and Mick just prances around bollocks, but can someone please ask Jagger how in fuck's name Sade matters so much. He obviously has his own tastes and is entitled to it and doesn't have to act like Stones fans want him to, but he always seems to just go with something modern for the sake of it. When his heart is in it and it's original, like Sweet Thing, I think it's amazing, but for every Sweet Thing there's a Hideaway, War Baby, Peace for the Wicked, and a pile of other endless shite.
12th February 2007 05:20 PM
L&A
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:

100% agreed ! And I think it's still possible. Jagger knows that Wandering Spirit is definitively accepted as his best solo record, and Rubin's signature remains a good guarantee for success...
12th February 2007 10:12 PM
quackenbush Wandering Spirit is my favorite among Mick's album and my second favorite solo work by a Rolling Stone. The first two songs on that album are the weakest and sound like Rolling Stones' rejects. Whenever I play it, I always skip these two tracks.
12th February 2007 10:24 PM
pdog I've skipped every Jagger solo effort...
13th February 2007 04:30 AM
Gazza
quote:
L&A wrote:

100% agreed ! And I think it's still possible. Jagger knows that Wandering Spirit is definitively accepted as his best solo record, and Rubin's signature remains a good guarantee for success...

I doubt Rubin will want to work with Jagger again, unfortunately - which is the main problem. Its not like he needs the work.

I would also doubt that Jagger would work with someone as 'pushy' again - regardless of the results - and as for Keith? Well, you cant see it, can you?
13th February 2007 11:03 AM
L&A I had a dream last night
13th February 2007 12:04 PM
Saint Sway I'd like for Jack White to produce a neo-blues type Stones album

those studio trax for the blues album Rubin tried to get Jagger to record with The Red Devils sounded awesome. Anyone remember that?
13th February 2007 12:09 PM
Some Guy I finally get to see The Departed and Flags of Our Fathers, I renterd em both.
13th February 2007 01:27 PM
Starbuck
quote:
Cant see why on this occasion Rubin is being so coy about naming the singer in question, even the clues are so bloody obvious as to who it is.

feej?

it is feej, isn't it?
13th February 2007 01:41 PM
pdog
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

feej?

it is feej, isn't it?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
13th February 2007 03:50 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
I finally get to see The Departed and Flags of Our Fathers, I renterd em both.

PERKS IS DISAPPOINTED IN FLAGS;IT WAS OK
13th February 2007 04:51 PM
hideaway Are the all the below metioned CD's better than "Wandering Spirit"?

I really doubt so!!

These are Rubin produced CD's and quite much of it is pure crap.... the article sounds more of a frustrated producer than by a real professional / good producer....

1985: Radio - LL Cool J
1986: Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys
1986: Raising Hell - Run-D.M.C.
1986: Reign in Blood - Slayer
1987: Electric - The Cult
1988: Danzig - Danzig
1988: Tougher Than Leather - Run-D.M.C.
1988: South of Heaven - Slayer
1988: Masters of Reality - Masters of Reality
1989: Dice - Andrew Dice Clay
1989: Live Fast, Die Fast - Wolfsbane
1990: Trouble - Trouble
1990: Danzig II: Lucifuge - Danzig
1990: Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer
1991: Nobody Said It Was Easy - The Four Horsemen
1991: Manic Frustration - Trouble
1991: Decade of Aggression - Slayer
1991: Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
1992: Danzig III: How the Gods Kill - Danzig
1992: King King - Red Devils
1993: Thrall: Demonsweatlive - Danzig
1993: Wandering Spirit - Mick Jagger
1993: 21st Century Jesus - Messiah
1994: Danzig 4 - Danzig
1994: American Recordings - Johnny Cash
1994: Divine Intervention - Slayer
1994: Wildflowers - Tom Petty
1995: One Hot Minute - Red Hot Chili Peppers
1995: Ballbreaker - AC/DC
1995: God Lives Underwater - God Lives Underwater
1995: Empty - God Lives Underwater
1996: Songs and Music from "She's the One" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
1996: Unchained - Johnny Cash
1996: Undisputed Attitude - Slayer
1996: Sutras - Donovan
1998: "Let Me Give the World to You" - The Smashing Pumpkins (an unreleased song)
1998: Northern Star - Melanie C ("Suddenly Monday" and "Ga Ga")
1998: VH1 Storytellers - Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson
1998: Diabolus in Musica - Slayer
1998: System of a Down - System of a Down
1998: Chef Aid: The South Park Album - South Park
1999: Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
1999: Echo - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
1999: Loud Rocks - V/A ("Shame" by System of a Down and Wu-Tang Clan, "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nothing Ta Fuck Wit" Tom Morello, Chad Smith and Wu-Tang Clan)
1999: The Globe Sessions - Sheryl Crow ("Sweet Child O'Mine")
2000: American III: Solitary Man - Johnny Cash
2000: Paloalto - Paloalto
2000: Renegades - Rage Against the Machine
2001: Amethyst Rock Star - Saul Williams
2001: The War of Art - American Head Charge
2001: Breath of the Heart - Krishna Das
2001: The Final Studio Recordings - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
2001: Toxicity - System of a Down
2002: American IV: The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash
2002: By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2002: Audioslave - Audioslave
2002: Steal This Album! - System of a Down
2003: Results May Vary - Limp Bizkit (with Terry Date and Jordan Schur)
2003: Unearthed - Johnny Cash
2003: Door of Faith - Krishna Das
2003: De-Loused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta (with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez)
2003: The Black Album - Jay-Z ("99 Problems")
2003: Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium - Rage Against the Machine
2003: Heroes and Villains - Paloalto
2004: Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) - Slipknot
2004: Armed Love - The (International) Noise Conspiracy
2004: Crunk Juice - Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz ("Stop Fuckin' Wit Me")
2005: Fijación Oral / Oral Fixation - Shakira (executive producer)
2005: Make Believe - Weezer
2005: Out of Exile - Audioslave
2005: Mezmerize - System of a Down
2005: Hypnotize - System of a Down
2005: 12 Songs - Neil Diamond
2006: Christ Illusion - Slayer
2006: Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2006: Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks
2006: American V: A Hundred Highways - Johnny Cash
2006: FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake ("(Another Song) All Over Again")

[Edited by hideaway]
13th February 2007 05:09 PM
nanatod
quote:
hideaway wrote:
These are Rubin produced CD's and quite much of it is pure crap.... the article sounds more of a frustrated producer than by a real professional / good producer....

1991: Manic Frustration - Trouble

Some metalheads and many rock critics find this to be a way underated gem, and that it may be the best heavy metal CD ever.
13th February 2007 05:27 PM
L&A LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Run-D.M.C., Slayer,The Cult, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, AC/DC, The Smashing Pumpkins, South Park, Sheryl Crow, Rage Against the Machine, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Audioslave, Limp Bizkit...

I'm sorry, but that's not what I call "pure crap"
14th February 2007 02:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels RICK RUBIN: 'I Asked METALLICA Not To Reinvent Themselves So Much As To Make A Defining Album' - Feb. 14, 2007
blabbermouth.net

Legendary producer Rick Rubin (SLAYER, SYSTEM OF A DOWN, AUDIOSLAVE, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS), who was named "Producer of the Year" at this past weekend's Grammy Awards, spoke to MTV.com about his work with METALLICA on their much-anticipated follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger", tentatively due before the end of the year via Warner Bros.

"I saw [the warts-and-all METALLICA documentary 'Some Kind of Monster'], and it made me really nervous," Rubin said. "Then we started working, and it's the opposite direction of that. They're really productive, really communicative — it seems like they really like being in the room together. It's a great process. They say they're more excited than they have been in a long time about making music. We're going to start recording in March. I asked them not to reinvent themselves so much as to make a defining album, like the purest of what METALLICA is. That's the aim, so we'll see what happens."

METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich told Rolling Stone magazine that Rubin said that he wants to make the group sound "like the METALLICA that made them METALLICA without going backward" — and that he's doing it by challenging old habits.

"He's questioning what key we should play in," Ulrich told Rolling Stone. "We've played in E flat since the beginning of the '90s. Nobody questioned it. All of a sudden, Rick is going, 'Maybe the stuff has more energy and Hetfield's voice sounds better in E.' He's forced us to rethink big-picture stuff, something we haven't done in years."

Rubin also insisted that METALLICA rehearse and learn the material until, as Ulrich puts it, "we can play these songs in our sleep, standing on our heads. "With Bob [Rock, METALLICA's longtime producer], we'd go into the studio when we had some concrete ideas. But Rick wants us to take care of all the creative elements first. He wants us to capture these songs in a recording environment instead of creating them there."

14th February 2007 03:03 PM
pdog Metallica, like The Stones, have already made the best music, the rest is going to be like chasing your own tail...
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)