ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 50 Worst Things Ever to Happen to Music Return to archive Page: 1 2
9th February 2007 08:39 PM
Brainbell Jangler This is actually a pretty good list. #46 has Stones content but is not anti-Stones.

http://music.aol.com/home/blender/rock-6
9th February 2007 09:35 PM
Jethrostone Yeah good list but #50 is wrong. The #1 spot was a little hurtful for me but I'm glad I'm not like any of the kids today. Compared to them, I like all older music, don't buy complations, and don't download illegally. By the way, I bought my first Uriah Heep album from Itunes. It was Salisbury. I heard nothing like it before. Great!
9th February 2007 09:57 PM
guitarman53 Worst thing that ever happened to music? Britney Spears & her bugglegum girlie crap, Boy Bands, & Rap Crap!!!!!!
9th February 2007 10:03 PM
Kilroy Yes # 50 Is wrong and the death of Buddy Holly should never be glossed over by rock n rollers. I agree with the bull shit Colenal Tom Parker put on the king. Most of the stuff was right, so what, Rock n Roll Died when we turned 27?
9th February 2007 11:37 PM
glencar Oh #50 is a great choice! I'm not a Rutles hater per se but Sgt. Pepper really isn't all they said it was.
10th February 2007 12:55 AM
Lethargy Finally! Someone in the mainstream media (if an aol website can be considered that) says what I've been saying for years...

Sgt. Pepper SUCKS.

It isn't just bad for a Beatles album. It SUCKS BIG TIME. And I love the White Album, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver.

The universal worship of Sgt Pepper makes me believe in conspiracy theories. No WAY can all these people actually like it.
10th February 2007 04:46 AM
corgi37 I dont think its fair or sensible to blame Britney Spears and co. After all, there has always been crap acts. Virtually any act from 58-61 was atrocious. All those greasy "Gumbahs" with the odd haircuts. Now that stuff was worse than any Hillary Duff tune.
10th February 2007 07:31 AM
guitarman53
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I dont think its fair or sensible to blame Britney Spears and co. After all, there has always been crap acts. Virtually any act from 58-61 was atrocious. All those greasy "Gumbahs" with the odd haircuts. Now that stuff was worse than any Hillary Duff tune.

I could understand this, if Britney Spears had some talent, she's just a product of the media, Paris Hilton comes to mind, it's just a bunch of people who got no musical talent what so ever, she's just a product of the media, a bunch of pure bullshit, by the way are you a musician to Judge this?
10th February 2007 11:59 AM
sirmoonie "White folks: They ruin everything."

Yeah.

The Eagles, of course, should be on that list. Probably in the top ten.
10th February 2007 01:04 PM
Bloozehound Number 51. Rock icons The Rolling Stones release SOL, which kickstarts their new musical career as soundtrack musicians for soap operas, fags and tampon commercials worldwide
10th February 2007 02:18 PM
glencar
quote:
Lethargy wrote:
Finally! Someone in the mainstream media (if an aol website can be considered that) says what I've been saying for years...

Sgt. Pepper SUCKS.

It isn't just bad for a Beatles album. It SUCKS BIG TIME. And I love the White Album, Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Revolver.

The universal worship of Sgt Pepper makes me believe in conspiracy theories. No WAY can all these people actually like it.

It's actually Blender magazine which came up with the list. And whilst I'm not mainstream media, I had always liked Sgt. pepper until 1987 when they did 20th anniversary tributes to it & I was like, "This? This is a masterwork????" I agree with you about the other 4 albums.
10th February 2007 04:12 PM
Kilroy Look at it this way The Sgrt Pecker album should not be on there cause it did nothing to hurt Rock N Roll music, it only did somethig to pop music whether you like it or not it did no harm to Rock n Roll. The older I get the less I like it, The older I get the more I like the White Album. The older I get and the less real Rock n Roll otu there the more I research the real Rock n rollers. Thank you for this forum.
12th February 2007 03:02 AM
Prodigal Son Pepper is good, not great IMO. All in all, out of 17 discs they've put original material on (13 during their tenure), it doesn't make their top 5 list. In fact it's bottom 1/3 stuff. I put all studio albums ahead of it, except Help, Magical Mystery and the Yellow Submarine crud. I guess my own rating system for the Beatles goes something like this

10. Please Please Me: A-
8. With the Beatles: A
6. Hard Day's Night: A
7. Beatles for Sale: A (really underrated, rockabilly gem. It's not as cookie cutter clean as their other early records)
12. Help!: A- (some of the poppy stuff is tired and its course is run by this point)
5. Rubber Soul: A+
1. Revolver: A+ (their best despite the annoying "Yellow Submarine")
11. Sgt. Pepper: A-
13. Magical Mystery Tour: B+ (boy "side 1" had some true crapola)
2. The Beatles (White Album): A+ (half kicks ass and sounds almost Stonesy, the other half is a bit more mellow and slick but it's odd because having weird, lightweight tracks like "Bungalow Bill," "Martha My Dear," "Piggies," "Revolution 9," "Honey Pie," "Good Night" doesn't seem to detract too much from this album for me. It is 30 songs after all, some of them are bound to suck)
14. Yellow Submarine: B- (What a lame record this was. "Hey Bulldog" is the only thing that doesn't suck)
3. Abbey Road: A+
9. Let it Be: A- (better than Pepper cause it is stripped down, has a real guitar-heavy style mostly and doesn't pander too much with sentimentality, though Spector took an already boring Paulie ballad and turned it into a long and winding monstrosity. The Let it Be Naked one is better)
7. Past masters, vol. 1: A
4. Vol. 2: A+
16. Anthology 1: B
18. Anthology 2: B-
17. Anthology 3: B
(total cash grabs and nothing compared to Dylan's "bootleg" official releases)

Yes, I am in the minority camp that actually likes the Beatles. Stones don't really pale at all though. They've had some crap but the Beatles would've had a lot too had they never broke up. The Stones still get these reviews from me:

12. England's Newest Hitmakers: A-
18. 12 X 5: B+
11. Rolling Stones Now!: A
14. Out of Our Heads: A-
24. December's Children: B
7. Aftermath: A
8. Between the Buttons: A
23. TSMR: B
2. Beggar's Banquet: A+
3. Let it Bleed: A+
16. Get Yer Ya-Yas Out: A-
4. Sticky Fingers: A+
Hot Rocks: A- (a made redundant compilation which is bested by two A+ records in 6. High Tide, Green Grass and 5. Through the Past Darkly)
More Hot Rocks: A (grade doesn't count as well some were unreleased, most weren't)
1. Exile: A+
17. Goat's Head Soup: B+
19. It's Only Rock n' Roll: B+
(after 17 records of their own original material Stones best the Beatles by having 6 A+ albums; 4 studio ones and all in a row no less, the best 4 albums in a row from any rock act including Dylan. Add to that 3 A's, 3 A-'s, 3 B+'s, 1 B and 1 B-. The Beatles tallied 5 A+s, 4 A's, 4 A-'s3, 1 B+, 2 B's, 2 B-'s. Stones started off weaker at making LPs but as their two A+ compilations prove, their singles could challenge the Beatles best. Then by the late 60s to early 70s, they were album masters too)

13. Black and Blue: A-
27. Love You Live: B-
9. Some Girls: A
31. Emotional Rescue: B-
10. Tattoo You: A
29. Still Life: B
32. Undercover: B-
33. Dirty Work: C+
28. Steel Wheels: B
22. Flashpoint: B+
20. Voodoo Lounge: B+
16. Stripped: A-
25. Bridges to Babylon: B
21. No Security: B+
30. Live Licks: B
26. Bigger Bang: B (only slightly better than Love you Live, Steel Wheels, Live Licks and Still Life, but worse than TSMR, B2B and December's Children)
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
12th February 2007 04:01 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Pepper is good, not great IMO. All in all, out of 17 discs they've put original material on (13 during their tenure), it doesn't make their top 5 list. In fact it's bottom 1/3 stuff. I put all studio albums ahead of it, except Help, Magical Mystery and the Yellow Submarine crud. I guess my own rating system for the Beatles goes something like this

10. Please Please Me: A-
8. With the Beatles: A
6. Hard Day's Night: A
7. Beatles for Sale: A (really underrated, rockabilly gem. It's not as cookie cutter clean as their other early records)
12. Help!: A- (some of the poppy stuff is tired and its course is run by this point)
5. Rubber Soul: A+
1. Revolver: A+ (their best despite the annoying "Yellow Submarine")
11. Sgt. Pepper: A-
13. Magical Mystery Tour: B+ (boy "side 1" had some true crapola)
2. The Beatles (White Album): A+ (half kicks ass and sounds almost Stonesy, the other half is a bit more mellow and slick but it's odd because having weird, lightweight tracks like "Bungalow Bill," "Martha My Dear," "Piggies," "Revolution 9," "Honey Pie," "Good Night" doesn't seem to detract too much from this album for me. It is 30 songs after all, some of them are bound to suck)
14. Yellow Submarine: B- (What a lame record this was. "Hey Bulldog" is the only thing that doesn't suck)
3. Abbey Road: A+
9. Let it Be: A- (better than Pepper cause it is stripped down, has a real guitar-heavy style mostly and doesn't pander too much with sentimentality, though Spector took an already boring Paulie ballad and turned it into a long and winding monstrosity. The Let it Be Naked one is better)
7. Past masters, vol. 1: A
4. Vol. 2: A+
16. Anthology 1: B
18. Anthology 2: B-
17. Anthology 3: B
(total cash grabs and nothing compared to Dylan's "bootleg" official releases)

Yes, I am in the minority camp that actually likes the Beatles. Stones don't really pale at all though. They've had some crap but the Beatles would've had a lot too had they never broke up. The Stones still get these reviews from me:

12. England's Newest Hitmakers: A-
18. 12 X 5: B+
11. Rolling Stones Now!: A
14. Out of Our Heads: A-
24. December's Children: B
7. Aftermath: A
8. Between the Buttons: A
23. TSMR: B
2. Beggar's Banquet: A+
3. Let it Bleed: A+
16. Get Yer Ya-Yas Out: A-
4. Sticky Fingers: A+
Hot Rocks: A- (a made redundant compilation which is bested by two A+ records in 6. High Tide, Green Grass and 5. Through the Past Darkly)
More Hot Rocks: A (grade doesn't count as well some were unreleased, most weren't)
1. Exile: A+
17. Goat's Head Soup: B+
19. It's Only Rock n' Roll: B+
(after 17 records of their own original material Stones best the Beatles by having 6 A+ albums; 4 studio ones and all in a row no less, the best 4 albums in a row from any rock act including Dylan. Add to that 3 A's, 3 A-'s, 3 B+'s, 1 B and 1 B-. The Beatles tallied 5 A+s, 4 A's, 4 A-'s3, 1 B+, 2 B's, 2 B-'s. Stones started off weaker at making LPs but as their two A+ compilations prove, their singles could challenge the Beatles best. Then by the late 60s to early 70s, they were album masters too)

13. Black and Blue: A-
27. Love You Live: B-
9. Some Girls: A
31. Emotional Rescue: B-
10. Tattoo You: A
29. Still Life: B
32. Undercover: B-
33. Dirty Work: C+
28. Steel Wheels: B
22. Flashpoint: B+
20. Voodoo Lounge: B+
16. Stripped: A-
25. Bridges to Babylon: B
21. No Security: B+
30. Live Licks: B
26. Bigger Bang: B (only slightly better than Love you Live, Steel Wheels, Live Licks and Still Life, but worse than TSMR, B2B and December's Children)
[Edited by Prodigal Son]

that s what i Do call a deep analysis
12th February 2007 04:33 AM
Altamont Decembers Children hardly ever gets the credit it deserves.

It's one of me faves.
12th February 2007 04:36 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Altamont wrote:
Decembers Children hardly ever gets the credit it deserves.

It's one of me faves.

Some of it's real good. But some of it is filler to me, like "The Singer Not the Song" "Talkin' Bout You" and a live version of "Route 66." And their version of "She Said Yeah" is bested by the Animals. Even the good ones aren't as good as usual, ie. "Gotta Get Away," "Look What You've Done." But "Blue Turns to Grey" is an underrated folky offering that I can admire.
12th February 2007 04:42 AM
Altamont
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

Some of it's real good. But some of it is filler to me, like "The Singer Not the Song" "Talkin' Bout You" and a live version of "Route 66." And their version of "She Said Yeah" is bested by the Animals. Even the good ones aren't as good as usual, ie. "Gotta Get Away," "Look What You've Done." But "Blue Turns to Grey" is an underrated folky offering that I can admire.

Well there ya go. What you see as the weak points, I see as the strengths.

P.S. Dirty Work deserves an F minus, if that's a possible grade.
12th February 2007 05:05 AM
corgi37 I AM a musician, pal. A bloody terrible one.
12th February 2007 05:21 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Altamont wrote:

Well there ya go. What you see as the weak points, I see as the strengths.

P.S. Dirty Work deserves an F minus, if that's a possible grade.

Well, we can all admit Dirty Works sucks. Without "One Hit to the Body" the grade drops to C- for me because despite some tough rockers like "Fight," "Had it with You" there's toss-offs like the dumb mid-80s blues production of "Harlem Shuffle,"" "Dirty Work," "Too Rude" and "Sleep Tonight." Then the cream of the crap being "Back to Zero," "Winning Ugly" and "Hold Back."
12th February 2007 05:27 AM
IanBillen
-Billy Joel

Ian
12th February 2007 08:16 AM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Altamont wrote:
Decembers Children hardly ever gets the credit it deserves.

It's one of me faves.

Agreed. Never gets the attention it deserves.

Talkin' About You
You Better Move On
Look What You Done
The Singer Not The Song
Route 66
Get Off Of My Cloud
I'm Free
As Tears Go By
Gotta Get Away
Blue Turns To Grey
I'm Moving On

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
12th February 2007 11:36 AM
Saint Sway HAHAHA!!! Hey Some Guy - check out 35- 31 its all Van Halen mockery!! LOL

they even put up a vote to who should be Van Humiliations next singer. I voted for Flavor Flav, natch.

good list.

a few major ones left off IMO....

MTV not only has to be on the list. But is NUMBER 1 IMO. The worst thing to ever happen to music. Easily.

and Clear Channel should be on there too. They're fucking things up big time right now. For the fans and for the bands. Clear Channel = Pure Evil.

as should astronomical ticket prices (Stones, Babs, Macca, Madona etc)
12th February 2007 11:54 AM
mojoman did i miss MTV?
clear channel?
classic rock radio?
ticketmaster?
tipper gore?
james blunt?
milli vanilli?
saturday nite fever?
yoko ono?
allen klein?
grammys?
rock and roll hall of fame?
payola?
hair metal?
american idol?

12th February 2007 12:00 PM
Some Guy
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
HAHAHA!!! Hey Some Guy - check out 35- 31 its all Van Halen mockery!! LOL

they even put up a vote to who should be Van Humiliations next singer. I voted for Flavor Flav, natch.

good list.

a few major ones left off IMO....

MTV not only has to be on the list. But is NUMBER 1 IMO. The worst thing to ever happen to music. Easily.

and Clear Channel should be on there too. They're fucking things up big time right now. For the fans and for the bands. Clear Channel = Pure Evil.

as should astronomical ticket prices (Stones, Babs, Macca, Madona etc)

I miss jb.
12th February 2007 12:10 PM
Joey
quote:
Brainbell Jangler wrote:
This is actually a pretty good list. #46 has Stones content but is not anti-Stones.

http://music.aol.com/home/blender/rock-6

" Back in our day, we didn't have any of yer fancy iPods and ringtones and downloads. We didn't have the luxury and convenience of your scrotum-rings and your World Wide Web logs. When we wanted to steal the new URIAH HEEP album, we couldn't just troll the Internet for it, we had to do it the old-fashioned way -- by hiking to the store (uphill, both ways) and shoving 12" of vinyl under our sweaters (which we had to knit ourselves). That's why you sniveling whipper-snappers don't appreciate the real value of music. Or Uriah Heep. Now get the hell off our lawn! "

Friggin Funny !

12th February 2007 12:20 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mojoman wrote:
did i miss MTV?
clear channel?
classic rock radio?
ticketmaster?
tipper gore?
james blunt?
milli vanilli?
saturday nite fever?
yoko ono?
allen klein?
grammys?
rock and roll hall of fame?
payola?
hair metal?
american idol?

Wolfie?
Roth Radio?
Rod Stewarts Songbook collections?
The 80s?
Rap Metal?
On Stage Seating?
GITD?
12th February 2007 12:27 PM
Olivia1962 Hip Hop and Rap ruenind everything
12th February 2007 12:29 PM
Sir Stonesalot I agree with Sway...Clear Channel/LiveNation should be on that list. As should MTV.

But to not include "Peter Frampton Comes Alive" is simply negligent and short sighted. That album rang in the death knell for good rock n roll staying in the mainstream. That was the point when record companies stopped investing in artist developement, and started looking for the one big score. That's where it all started going downhill.

And fuckin' Blender missed it. Typical.
12th February 2007 12:35 PM
nanatod
quote:
Olivia1962 wrote:
Hip Hop and Rap ruenind everything

Don't you usually post in the "let's dig up Brian Jones's rotted corpse" thread?

Did the Beastie Boys ruin anything? Did the Roots? Did the Last Poets? The Pharcyde?

And what the fvck did they ruin? Isn't Licensed to Ill a better album than anything Kansas or Journey ever put out?

12th February 2007 01:01 PM
Saint Sway The Police reunion
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)