ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: WHATEVER HAPPENS HAPPENS Return to archive
9th February 2007 05:33 PM
fireontheplatter at this point i don't give a shit if the stoners are capitolists or not....just so long as they come out with a much better cd than a bigger bang.
9th February 2007 05:41 PM
glencar ABB = best in 20+ years. Please stop selling it short. TIA!
9th February 2007 05:49 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
glencar wrote:
ABB = best in 20+ years. Please stop selling it short. TIA!

sorry bub...but i think i was expecting something more along the line of 'exile' is all.

weren't you.

i mean ron wood hardly plays on the darned cd

9th February 2007 05:52 PM
glencar No, I'm sane. EOMS was 35 years ago. Nobody will ever do THAT again.
9th February 2007 05:59 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, I'm sane. EOMS was 35 years ago. Nobody will ever do THAT again.

perhaps i live in the past...you are right..it was a long time ago.....but with all this hype and it being compared to exile and all i had hi expectations

i sure hope they do not compare the next effort to sticky fingers.....

9th February 2007 06:53 PM
MidnightRambler I've begun to notice that people who say stuff like "Why can't they make another great album like Exile" or "It's good...but it ain't no Exile.." or "Give us another Exile" are people who most likely do not have one creative bone in their body. Because if they did--they wouldn't say such ridiculous things.

There are two groups of people in the world:

GROUP 1eople who naturally create art and have talent in it--(anything from writing, painting, playing an instrument, drawing, singing, dancing, acting, rapping) and then there are people in

GROUP 2: who naturally have nothing to do with any of those art forms. The quote "talent-less". It's ok--not EVERYONE in the world can sing, play guitar or whatever. There's probably something you can do that a guitar player can't.

My point is that the people who are demanding for another Exile and simply shit off every CD since Exile are people who are probably in group 2. Because people in group 1 understand that as an artist...you cannot simply just MAKE a new classic. You can't just sit down and say, "Ok, now I'm gonna make a masterpiece. Here I go..."

Exile and every album the Stones have made, along with every album created by the millions of artists in the history of music have one thing in common: songs are a strict result of a combinaton of these factors: fate, emotions, situation, mood and timing.

Sure Mick and Keith are the exact PEOPLE who wrote these songs so we should obviously expect them to produce more songs LIKE the ones on exile, right?...but are they emotionally, mentally and physially exactly the same as when they wrote these songs 30 years ago? No. What Mick ate that morning, to what Keith was shooting up the night before or what mood Charlie was in--all had A LOT to do with the songs that we find on Exile. The combination of those factors only existed 30 years ago in that studio.

Anyone who has written a song, drawn a picture, or wrote a novel and has gotten approval and praise for it from someone, knows that when you produce that second, third or fourth song, drawing or novel and people say..."it's good...but why don't you make one that's JUST as good as that first one?"...the only response is "How do I do that?"

Songs and albums are a different kind of monster because they come from a very personal route to a songwriter's strongest emotions. Once the track is finally completed and put on a CD it is then a mixture of hype and critics that then create the audience's opinion of it.

This doesn't go for just the Stones but basically every huge name in the musical act that has a large catalog and at least one album that is considered their classic. Bob Dylan is another artist people love to put his work side by side. People don't seem to understand that songs that were written in 1967--only could have been written in 1967 and were only right for 1967.

When Exile came out...didn't critics hate it? There wasn't really an uproar from the fans defending it was there? But years down the road when every magazine, music critic and music scholar would then say how Exile is a masterpiece and an album you should have if you stranded on a desert island--it then became the fans' mantra: "Exile is a masterpiece, exile is a masterpiece." I'm not saying we were brainwashed but our opinions are very lost among mainstream opinions.

If "A Bigger Bang" was really as good as Exile--no one in the world would even know it because in order for it to be better than Exile...I guess it'd have to be LIKE Exile? I guess...the name of it would be "Allowed on 14th Street" it'd have to have 18 songs, have the songs practically be sequels to the songs on Exile. Have the sound technicians try to replicate the same exact sound that was produced in those studios in France from 30 years ago... That doesn't sound too creative to me.
9th February 2007 08:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

sorry bub...but i think i was expecting something more along the line of 'exile' is all.

weren't you.

i mean ron wood hardly plays on the darned cd

Please be serious. 60 year old men dont make albums that great. Who on earth seriously expected the Stones in 2005 to top the best album theyve ever made. Theyd need to make the best record of all time to have done so.

as for Ronnie not playing much - so what? Would anyone have noticed it had they not seen the credits or read the interviews? Is Moonlight Mile a shitty song because Keith didnt play on it? If you didnt know the facts, would you complain because Tattoo You was a collection of leftovers? Are Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed in any way diminished because Keith plays almost all of the guitars himself because Brian was either on the way out or Taylor joined when half the latter album was already complete?
9th February 2007 08:49 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Please be serious. 60 year old men dont make albums that great. Who on earth seriously expected the Stones in 2005 to top the best album theyve ever made. Theyd need to make the best record of all time to have done so.

as for Ronnie not playing much - so what? Would anyone have noticed it had they not seen the credits or read the interviews? Is Moonlight Mile a shitty song because Keith didnt play on it? If you didnt know the facts, would you complain because Tattoo You was a collection of leftovers? Are Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed in any way diminished because Keith plays almost all of the guitars himself because Brian was either on the way out or Taylor joined when half the latter album was already complete?

i am serious gazza

you are well versed about the stones and i appreciate that in a big way.

but there was huge hype about abb and it being as BIG and almost as good as exile.
the press presse's more these days now than they did back then and i guess that whart pisses me off. not that it oisses me off ....
but jesus h christ when they was all talking about this effort being the next exile i was like....well..i couldn't sleep....
i feel exile is the best long album they have made...beats the pants off abb....i bought abb at my local starbucks coffee shpt and i rushed home and played it...and i was kinda like...well ...i like this and i like that....
what i am trying to say is i want another exile another sticky another beggers...
what is so hard about that?
i mean whatever happened to keith wanting everyone in the room eyeball to eyeball and feeling the groove kinda mood...
the stones i think will come out with the best yet soon
please bare with me...
abb has about 6 songs on it that i reall like and that is just not good enough...especially for a band like my favorite stones...
come on guys....
please don't get me wrong.

neither any member of the stones were ill..accept charlie watts during the recording of this cd so everyone should have been present during the recording...
10th February 2007 09:32 AM
Gazza I dont recall any "next Exile" talk, but if there was it was the same hype as they put out for any other record. Hyping something up to that degree only leads to something of an antic climax.

Why do you expect a re-enactment of a 35 year old album? Leave that to the likes of Mike Oldfield.

Its a very enjoyable record, but anyone who is expecting any artist, let alone one in their 60's to make what would have to be the best album of all time is kidding themselves.
10th February 2007 10:25 AM
gimmekeef Considering the times and the age of the band ABB was/is quite good.Top half of their album legacy I'd say.I believe the packaging really hurt the sales:
1. The pic was crappy
2. No large red tongue to entice the casual to pick it up
3. The print was is small ya can hardly read it
4. SOL was a terrible first single
10th February 2007 10:32 AM
fireontheplatter i promise not to drink and post again.
i promise not to drink and post again.

in my here parts the dj's and other music people were saying it is the next exile and so i got all excited..i am not really saying it was a letdown necessarily, but next time i am not going to listen to anyone.

i think i remember after ten was done by pearl jam everyone was expecting the second one to be just the same...but no.

am i the only one who feel this way?

you're right gazza...i should move on...no expectations...right?

thank you people...carry on
10th February 2007 10:37 AM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its a very enjoyable record, but anyone who is expecting any artist, let alone one in their 60's to make what would have to be the best album of all time is kidding themselves.

i am not quite sure i agree here with this statement.
i think it is very possible to make something better..after all good talent doesn't just disapperar...does it?

back of my hand is very early day sounding.

anyway.....carry on.
10th February 2007 10:40 AM
voodoopug every album since Steel Wheels has been hyped as sounding "very much like Exile". It is called hype and promotion.

Out of the four modern era stones albums of new material, I think they have two gems and two very average ones. Voodoo Lounge cracks my top ten and ABB is definitely in the top half, its a very good album, not great, but very good. Steel Wheels and B2B arent as average at best with no stand out songs.
10th February 2007 11:08 AM
mojoman
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I dont recall any "next Exile" talk, but if there was it was the same hype as they put out for any other record. Hyping something up to that degree only leads to something of an antic climax.

Why do you expect a re-enactment of a 35 year old album? Leave that to the likes of Mike Oldfield.

tubular bells IV?
10th February 2007 01:24 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

Now you're just talking crazy.
10th February 2007 06:59 PM
tumbled I don't know I LOVE ABB. It gives me chills to listen to it. I like to turn the balance all the way to the left and theright and listen to the different guitar and vocal tracks heard that way. I love the guitar interpretation and the ambiguousness of the lyrics.

I can't get enough of it. I think the whole thing is brilliant and gets better with every listen. The different viewpoints of the lyrics and the tragedy of love found and love lost. its a monumental piece of art in my opin.

also I disagree, I think Ronnie is all over the tracks and adds tremendously especially on let me down slow.

witnesseth:

in short: Odie says it best:

[Edited by tumbled]
[Edited by tumbled]
11th February 2007 10:55 AM
fireontheplatter Odie says it best:

[/quote]

omg this is funny as anything....i love it
11th February 2007 01:04 PM
nanatod
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Please be serious. 60 year old men dont make albums that great.

Here's an exception to that maxim:

11th February 2007 04:42 PM
Joey
quote:
nanatod wrote:

True Dat !
13th February 2007 06:59 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
Odie says it best:

omg this is

listen very carefully people

get down jimmy
13th February 2007 07:01 PM
fireontheplatter if this gets a rise from letterman then it must be great.....

get down jimmy
13th February 2007 07:05 PM
fireontheplatter

witnesseth:

in short: Odie says it best:

[/quote]

get down jimmy
13th February 2007 07:23 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

omg this is

get down jimmy

odie RULES
14th February 2007 11:38 AM
Joey " ..............odie RULES "

14th February 2007 04:50 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Joey wrote:
" ..............odie RULES "

odie love youuuuu
14th February 2007 05:21 PM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

i am not quite sure i agree here with this statement.
i think it is very possible to make something better..after all good talent doesn't just disapperar...does it?

back of my hand is very early day sounding.

anyway.....carry on.

Still possible to make something great - sure. But youre expecting them to top what could well be the best album of all time. A somewhat unreasonably high expectation.

ABB is a fine album - better than I personally thought they were capable of doing at this stage in their career, and something they should be proud of.. Thats good enough for me.
14th February 2007 05:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
nanatod wrote:

As great as Exile On Main Street? No it isn't.

Bloody fine album, though.
14th February 2007 06:51 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Still possible to make something great - sure. But youre expecting them to top what could well be the best album of all time. A somewhat unreasonably high expectation.

ABB is a fine album - better than I personally thought they were capable of doing at this stage in their career, and something they should be proud of.. Thats good enough for me.

hey bub
you're right

the next one is the killer

please be aware

abb is full of crap noisy stuff.
i would rather listen to undercover for gods sake

i love my stones
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)