ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1967 Gamma Press with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: new guitar gods according to R.S. Return to archive Page: 1 2
8th February 2007 04:05 PM
texile EST

The New Guitar Gods: Cover-Men Mayer, Trucks and Frusciante
The wait is over: You are officially privy to the powerful knowledge of who graces the next cover of Rolling Stone. (Don’t you feel special?) We joined John Mayer, Derek Trucks and John Frusciante at the Los Angeles covershoot to witness behind-the-scenes shenanigans. The highlights? The ever-loquacious Mayer politely declined to wear any of the clothes the stylist had selected for him, saying, “Rolling Stone is the cool jacket, so to wear the cool jacket is redundant.” Trucks had his kids in tow. He travels with them because he’s “seen the tragedy of neglect in families on the road.” Mr. Trucks, will you adopt us? Frusciante kept rather quiet. But all three rocked the house for a little impromptu jam session, which you can watch in its entirety right here tomorrow afternoon along with exclusive video interview of the strapping guitar gods. Who loves you, babies?

-- Rolling Stone

agree, disagree?
i hate these r.s. lists...
but nice to trucks get on the cover -
he's amazing.
while he's best thing about the chilli peppers, frusciante is too limited to be considered a god.
and after writing him off as a white boy poseur..
mayer has won me over - great, melodic guitar work and n excellent songwriter.
8th February 2007 04:07 PM
Saint Sway there just isnt anyone out there that plays like Derek
8th February 2007 04:12 PM
glencar Certainly not Mayer. I find him to be very boring & I'm frankly amazed to find him gaining any acclaim.
8th February 2007 04:24 PM
texile
quote:
glencar wrote:
Certainly not Mayer. I find him to be very boring & I'm frankly amazed to find him gaining any acclaim.

tsk, tsk glencar....i expected that response from many of you here -
mayer has impressed me with his songwriting AND guitar -
a double threat. imagine a paul simon who has a deep love for the blues and has the chops to use it.
sure, there may be other guitarists who are better, in the jam sense -
but there aren't too many popular YOUNG artists who are mining that r&b and blues influence and not any who can reach the masses like mayer.
Mayer's success and pop sensiblities keep some from aprreciating him.
8th February 2007 04:37 PM
glencar He's MOR crap & he sucks! I don't care what you fucking expected. If you DID expect it, that's probably because there's truth in it. I didn't comment negatively on the other 2 players.
8th February 2007 04:44 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
texile wrote:
tsk, tsk glencar....i expected that response from many of you here -
mayer has impressed me with his songwriting AND guitar -
a double threat. imagine a paul simon who has a deep love for the blues and has the chops to use it.
sure, there may be other guitarists who are better, in the jam sense -
but there aren't too many popular YOUNG artists who are mining that r&b and blues influence and not any who can reach the masses like mayer.
Mayer's success and pop sensiblities keep some from aprreciating him.

Ian Billen?? Is that you?

8th February 2007 04:45 PM
glencar It's his doppleganger!
8th February 2007 05:03 PM
mrhipfl Glencar, if you haven't already, I suggest you give TRY! by the John Mayer Trio a listen. He's an amazing blues player.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
8th February 2007 05:08 PM
texile glencar,
it was meant lightly - i was just stating mayer's merits..
my point being that i was also a skeptic, and know many rock fans who judge the kid merely on a few pop songs.
his live album last year with steve jordan sold me -
one of his solos even remind me of mick taylor's lovely solos from 73.

saint,
was it that long-winded?
no offense ian.

8th February 2007 05:09 PM
glencar
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
Glencar, if you haven't already, I suggest you give TRY! by the John Mayer Trio a listen. He's an amazing blues player.
[Edited by mrhipfl]

All I've heard is his pop stuff. That's all I have to judge him on.
8th February 2007 10:29 PM
5string king Check out mattoree.com, Matt recently won the guitarmageddon king of the blues. He is also a very good friend of Riffy and is just an amazing guitar player. Worth the look.
8th February 2007 10:34 PM
Riffhard Here,here! Matt is the greatest player around. The guy is sick good. Take ol' 5stringking's advice and check him out.

www.mattoree.com

Riffy
8th February 2007 10:44 PM
Riffhard I'll go so far as to say that Matt O'Ree is a better player than anyone on that list. He's better by a long shot too! In fact I would put way above John Mayer! He's better than Derek Trucks too,and I have seen them both more than a few times.

Riffy
8th February 2007 10:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels The die has been cast.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
8th February 2007 10:52 PM
5string king Agreed, No one plays like Matt!
9th February 2007 03:00 PM
texile i'm sure there are countless guitarists who are "better" than those on the rs list - there always will be.
('i know a guy at the local bar who can run circles over frusciante...etc..)
but if no one has ever heard of them, they aren't having an impact on popular music -
that's what a guitar god is to me - someone who influences the norm.
9th February 2007 03:02 PM
Saint Sway they should of kept it young. and put the Wolfmother kid on there
9th February 2007 03:58 PM
Riffhard
quote:
texile wrote:
i'm sure there are countless guitarists who are "better" than those on the rs list - there always will be.
('i know a guy at the local bar who can run circles over frusciante...etc..)
but if no one has ever heard of them, they aren't having an impact on popular music -
that's what a guitar god is to me - someone who influences the norm.

That is exactly why these lists are fucking pointless. Allow me to quote none other than BB King when he met Matt O'Ree backstage at the Guitarmegeddon contest,"Son you are the best young guitar player I have heard in at least twenty years!"

I will put Matt O'Ree up against any player on the scene right now and he'll blow them off the stage. It wouldn't even be close.

The guy is a fucking monster,and the only reason that you have not heard about him is because he does not play flavor of the month shit music like Nickelback,Incubus,Disturbed,etc. He plays an ass kickin' blues/rock guitar that none of the labels seem to want to sign these days.

Riffy
9th February 2007 04:17 PM
texile i guess we should just appreciate the fact that real musicians are at least being featured on the RS cover -
and i haven't seen the entire list so o'ree may be on the list.
slightly off-topic, but anybody else thing the peppers are overrated?
i mean, i've followed them since mother's milk and got the last cd because billy preston is on it -
but they seem to repeat the same hendrix/p-funk grooves in white-face every time but RS loves these guys....
and i can only take so much of keidis'lyrics and singing/rapping or whatever he does.
9th February 2007 04:24 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
texile wrote:
i mean, i've followed them since mother's milk and got the last cd because billy preston is on it -
but they seem to repeat the same hendrix/p-funk grooves in white-face every time but RS loves these guys....
and i can only take so much of keidis'lyrics and singing/rapping or whatever he does.

definately!

thats been my thing with the Peppers. I think the bands certainly talented enough. But Keidis just ruins it and makes it unlistenable at times. That white boy rap shit just kills it. Plus he cant rhyme. And when he sticks to singing - well, he cant sing. He just makes them unlistenable for me.

Frusciante's solo records are interesting though. I think I'd like the Peppers if he was the singer.
9th February 2007 04:49 PM
texile
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

definately!

thats been my thing with the Peppers. I think the bands certainly talented enough. But Keidis just ruins it and makes it unlistenable at times. That white boy rap shit just kills it. Plus he cant rhyme. And when he sticks to singing - well, he cant sing. He just makes them unlistenable for me.

Frusciante's solo records are interesting though. I think I'd like the Peppers if he was the singer.

exactly -
keidis kills it for me too...
flea and frusciante make them more than a funky party band - they're both innovative musicians....
but keidis can't sing, can't write, can't rap...wtf?
it brings the whole thing down.
i loved this band for bringing the funk back into mainstream music keidis isn't even a one-note performer...
i guess it's all about outrageous personalities.
12th February 2007 01:53 PM
Saint Sway picked up the issue...

was very pleased to see Luther Dickinson get props inside. He's fantastic.
12th February 2007 03:46 PM
Saint Sway as happy as I was to see Luther mentioned, I promise you that David Fricke is gonna get a beating the next time I run into him for not including Rich Robinson or Marc Ford on here

heres the List:

Tom Morello
John Mayer
Derek Trucks
John Frusciante
Luther Dickinson
Nels Cline
Warren Haynes
Jim James
Carl Broemel
Adam Jones
Kaki King
Mike McCready
Stone Gossard
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Ed O'Brien
Johnny Greenwood
Chuck Garvey
Al Schnier
Matt Pike
Jack White

[Edited by Saint Sway]
12th February 2007 04:04 PM
gypsy
quote:
texile wrote:
i guess we should just appreciate the fact that real musicians are at least being featured on the RS cover -
and i haven't seen the entire list so o'ree may be on the list.

They are majorly overrated. Did you catch their Grammy performance? It was the most boring performance of the night...and that is saying something.
12th February 2007 04:23 PM
texile
quote:
gypsy wrote:

They are majorly overrated. Did you catch their Grammy performance? It was the most boring performance of the night...and that is saying something.

i didn't catch the peppers last night -
but i'm not surprised....
they haven't progressed beyond the whole frat-boy, stage shenanigans...
all they needed was socks.
maybe the peppers seem like a novelty for alot of mainstream music fans and so they them as subversive.
but there is something to be said for just simple, no-frills musicianship.

12th February 2007 07:51 PM
Throwaway
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
as happy as I was to see Luther mentioned, I promise you that David Fricke is gonna get a beating the next time I run into him for not including Rich Robinson or Marc Ford on here

heres the List:

Tom Morello
John Mayer
Derek Trucks
John Frusciante
Luther Dickinson
Nels Cline
Warren Haynes
Jim James
Carl Broemel
Adam Jones
Kaki King
Mike McCready
Stone Gossard
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
Ed O'Brien
Johnny Greenwood
Chuck Garvey
Al Schnier
Matt Pike
Jack White

[Edited by Saint Sway]

RR and MFF are unfortunately in uneven ground, the two of them. A prime example is Stone and McCready being on this last, as being in a popular, mainstream band since the 90s. The Crowes hiatus and lack of a studio album in some time contribute to this, and I think Rich being the rhythm player hurts him too (Ford's lack of years in the band is what can be held against him). HOWEVER the inclusion of guys like Dickinson (lesser known) and Adam Jones (unique style) make the list bearable.
12th February 2007 08:49 PM
Olivia1962 Is this a joke? Because it is funny
[Edited by Olivia1962]
12th February 2007 09:02 PM
Poplar
Trucks is great... but JM? please.

and as for that list... what the hell ever. Trey (albeit stoned ) is still alive. As long as that's the case, he's still king.

12th February 2007 09:34 PM
texile maybe he's dated and out of the loop but billy corgan was one of the most inventive guitarist of the last 20 years...
and poplar: if you don't think jm deserves to be on that list.....i can't help you're hearing.
it's about the music, not image.
12th February 2007 09:37 PM
texile rich robinson may have suffered the same fate as corgan here:
they've been gone from the mainstream for too long.
he made the crowes one of my favorite bands of the 90s...
with that dirty, jangly, keefish telecaster grit.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)