ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Motley Crue and a night at the movies... Return to archive
February 13th, 2005 09:25 PM
M.O.W.A.T. MÖTLEY CRÜE's Opening Act Revealed: A 20-Minute Animated Movie - Feb. 9, 2005

Hits Daily Double reports: When the MÖTLEY CRÜE "Red, White, and Crüe 2005...Better Live Than Dead" tour officially launches February 17, the coveted opening slot will be.. a movie? Each show will open with a 20-minute animated feature, "Disaster!", featuring the band and hand-picked by Nikki Sixx, who knows the filmmakers. The short, a claymation parody of action films like "Twister" and "Armageddon", was directed by Roy Wood, who was part of the team behind MTV's"Celebrity Death Match".

Two weeks to go before I see them -- should be interesting.

\m/\m/
February 14th, 2005 09:41 AM
Dan A friend who was at rehearsals read off the setlist to me, its a long show (by Motley standards) hence no opening act. Also Mick is sounding great and contrary to rumors, no other guitarists have been present at rehearsal.

3 cover songs in the setlist but as of Friday SFM isnt one of them.
February 14th, 2005 11:54 AM
Monkeytonkman Man, i'm looking forward to this, quite a while before I get the chance to see 'em (got tickets for June in the UK) but me and my mates are really lookin forward to it.

A night of big dumb, rock 'n' roll - with no intention other than having a good time.

Anyone who sees 'em on the other side of the pond let us know what you think. hopefully they put on a good 'un.
February 14th, 2005 12:39 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
Monkeytonkman wrote:
A night of big dumb, rock 'n' roll - with no intention other than having a good time.

My thoughts exactly! Who knows? I may even enjoy the drum solo!
February 14th, 2005 05:47 PM
John Wood I got tickets for the Toronto show for my girlfriend. She is a big Crue fan, I'm not but it should be alright. I am most looking foreward to hear Mick play.
February 14th, 2005 08:08 PM
Dan Drums solos by themselves are boring but apparently there are 3 drumsets hanging from the ceiling and Tommy travels from cables from one to the other.
February 15th, 2005 04:55 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Motley Crue Takes Its Show on the Road

By CHELSEA J. CARTER, AP National Writer

NEW YORK - Rock music's biggest freak show is taking its show on the road.

And the bigger question for Motley Crue is whether the band known for its excesses (sex, drugs and fighting) can keep it together for a year on tour.

"This tour could last a week. It could last a year. I just don't know," drummer Tommy Lee (news) recently told The Associated Press. "But it definitely brings a smile to my face. You know, the danger part of it, the whether these guys are going to make it a month question."

For the band that gained its rock foothold in the 1980s as a glam metal band, the spotlight will be shining bright on their antics as much as their stage production when they open the U.S. leg of the "Red, White & Crue Tour 2005 ... Better Live Than Dead" on Thursday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The tour follows the release of "Red, White & Crue," a greatest hits album that includes three new songs.

Motley Crue has reportedly auditioned midgets, contortionists and strange animals as part of the stage production, a 2 1/2-hour show with no opening act.

"It's a traveling freak show. We've always been called that and we said `Why don't we take that and take it to the next level,'" said bassist Nikki Sixx (news).

Motley Crue has always pushed "the level."

For those who haven't seen the band's infamous episode of VH1's "Behind The Music," which featured the band's sordid tale of success, here's a quick recap:

The band was founded in 1981 when Sixx met Lee. The two answered an ad placed by guitarist Mick Mars (who Sixx described as Cousin Itt from "The Addams Family") looking for bandmates. Then they were joined by singer Vince Neil (news). They quickly lit up the Los Angeles club scene and recorded an album, which was released on an independent label. A short time later they were signed by Elektra and released 1983's "Shout at the Devil" and 1985's "Theater of Pain." But it was 1987's "Girls, Girls, Girls" and 1989's "Dr. Feelgood," which debuted at No. 1, that put the band at the top.

Along the way, they were using drugs and drinking and having lots of sex. Neil got into a drunken driving accident that killed Hanoi Rocks drummer Razzle. Sixx overdosed on heroin, "dying" before returning to life. Lee married Pamela Anderson (news - web sites) and made an infamous sex tape. Mars drank and did drugs.

By the 1990s, the band was falling apart. Neil left (or was fired, depending on who tells the story) the band in 1992. He then reunited with the band for 1997's "Generation Swine." Then Lee left in the late 1990s.

The band regrouped a few months ago after Sixx wrote some songs and asked Neil if he would sing them.

But the band says they noticed a resurgence in interest in Motley Crue several years earlier.

Neil said he was at a mall once when he saw three teenagers wearing old Motley Crue concert shirts: "I was like `How do they know us? Where did they get these T-shirts?'"

Lee also had a similar experience, thinking: "That kid was 2 when we were playing."

Sixx is a little more philosophical.

"There's this thing that happens if you stick around long enough," he said. "One day, you're a huge band. The next day, you're off the map. ...Then one day, all of the sudden, it happens. Some 15-year-old kid goes `I heard this song.' The next thing you know, you're doing a reunion tour."

Tickets for the tour went on sale in December with some venues selling out in hours.

So what is it about Motley Crue that two decades later seems to grab such fan loyalty?

Part of it is the music and part of it is that most of the band members have continued to be in the spotlight, says Jim Richards, regional vice president of programming for San Diego-based Clear Channel.

"They are celebrities individually, above and beyond their collective band status," he said.

Neil and Lee have made forays into reality television: Neil on the WB's "The Surreal Life" and Lee with a new NBC reality show set to air this summer. Sixx, Neil and Lee have continued with solo projects.

But Richards says more than that — there may be a morbid curiosity.

"A curiosity of watching a train wreck. Can they keep it together for a year?" he said. "What sports book in Vegas is accepting bets on this?"

When told of the "morbid curiosity" factor, the members of Motley Crue laugh. But there is little disagreement.

When asked whether the band plans to follow up the tour with a full-length studio album, Neil doesn't have an answer.

"We're really not saying," he says. "We're just going to watch and see and see what kind of happens," he said.

Sixx draws a comparison between a brand new Lexus sedan ("nice, safe, secure," he says) and a beat-up hot rod. Motley Crue, of course, is the hot rod. He points out that most hot rods blow a motor.

"If the motor blows, then the motor blows. But I'd rather be standing on the side of the road with a blown motor than riding in the Lexus," he says.

Lee compares it to a failed marriage.

"It's kind of like being divorced and then you try to get back together. It's lovely for a month. Then you find out that nobody is really making the effort," he said.

Perhaps only Mars, who's recovering from hip replacement surgery for a degenerative rheumatoid disease, is a little hopeful.

"It's going to be over the top."

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood