ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 1978- GORGEOUS GIRLS or HANDSOME GIRLS- WHICH IS BETTER Return to archive
February 12th, 2005 09:52 PM
time is on my side

These boots appear to be very similar 4 CD packages. Just curious which one has the better sound or does it make any difference (meaning you can't go wrong either way)???? Are they about the same or does anyone, who has heard both, have a preference???? Thanks

February 12th, 2005 10:15 PM
mac_daddy gorgeous girls is superior...

but you cant go wrong either way...

exact same material on both.
February 13th, 2005 01:19 AM
violentkind
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
gorgeous girls is superior...

but you cant go wrong either way...

exact same material on both.

What he said!!!!
February 14th, 2005 01:21 AM
T&A Sister Morphine's version contains bonus cuts not found on the earlier versions.
February 14th, 2005 01:55 AM
kahoosier My version of Handsome Girls lacks the version of Street Fighting Man available on my Gorgeous Girls. That said, IMO, it sucks so bad, I would rather have not heard it. The version of Hound Dog redefines the song for me on either version, and I am so glad Mick thanks Big Momma Thornton and not the more famous ( and incorrect) Elvis for the song. You cannot go wrong with either set, and if you have a good equalizer in your system, you can tweak either to sound however you like: the idea though was that Gorgeous Girls was a an improvement in sound over Handosme Girls.
February 14th, 2005 10:35 AM
Jumping Jack It is a matter of personal taste, but I really like the Good Sister's work and find GGR a big improvement over Handsome Girls and the second only to SM's Timeless Europe.
February 14th, 2005 05:43 PM
JOHNNYSTONED GORGEOUS GIRLS IS THE WAY TO GO...
February 14th, 2005 09:08 PM
Soldatti I only own Handsome Girls and kicks the world's ass, that's enough to me.
February 14th, 2005 09:23 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I only own Handsome Girls and kicks the world's ass, that's enough to me.

handsome girls is spectacular, and it is the primary source for GG. but HG is a bit "rice crispy" in spots (snap crackle pop), and GG has been procesed to eliminate the noise, without removing any of the meaty musical inforamtion. thus it sounds a bit fuller, and a bt cleaner, to these ears anyway...

i forgot that there were some extra tunes on GG, but that makes sense...

i might have to give it another listen again sometime soon
February 14th, 2005 11:07 PM
jpenn11 Thanks for the EQ info macdaddy.

I had thought GG corrected the "problem" with the Dandelion HG identified in the FAQ, but this is just a suspicion (never confirmed):

US radio '78 (various); 140 min; 10.0 s; "Handsome Girls"/many others

These songs have been widely available since they were first broadcast in 1979, but this is their best quality ever. CDs 3 and 4 of this set compile almost every song ever broadcast (TSP's 1st edition misses 4 songs, Dandelion's 2nd edition has them), plus a few that never were (Star Star). Since the source tapes were liberated from the King Biscuit archives, they are not bleeped or censored as they were for broadcast. Dandelion's release also adds a few more rarities from lesser quality audience recordings. It is said to sound even "brighter," not a bad thing. However, Dandelion did not use the best source for the previously missing 4 songs; for that you need the obscure and very mis-titled LP "Live from England 1974," which is all '78 radio
broadcasts!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood