ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Led Zeppelin recieve lifetime Grammy Award Return to archive
February 12th, 2005 09:45 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Led Zeppelin Awarded Lifetime Achievement Grammy

33 minutes ago

Add to My Yahoo! Entertainment - Reuters

By Dean Goodman

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Led Zeppelin got a "whole lotta" belated love from the music industry on Saturday, earning a lifetime achievement Grammy in recognition of a career that changed the face of rock 'n' roll.

The English band was one of 10 performers, alongside the likes of rockabilly hellraiser Jerry Lee Lewis (news), blues belter Janis Joplin and country crooner Eddy Arnold, celebrated at a luncheon one day before the Grammy Awards.

During their 12 years together, Led Zeppelin never won a Grammy, even though they were arguably the biggest band of the 1970s, a combo whose blues-based rock anthems resonate loudly to this day.

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page (news) and keyboardist John Paul Jones (news) showed up with the two children of late drummer John Bonham to receive crystal trophies. Singer Robert Plant (news), busy rehearsing for a tour, sent in a video message.

"It wouldn't have taken much just to pop over here and meet everybody, would it really?" Page asked Reuters.

For his part, the newly svelte guitarist said he found the ceremony very emotional. From the stage, he blew a kiss to his old label boss, Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun, and later chatted with soul guitarist Ike Turner (news), who jokingly exclaimed, "You're a grown man now!"

As for the belated recognition, Page bore no ill will, saying that Led Zeppelin's eclectic oeuvre -- with one album completely different from the next -- may have been too difficult for Grammy voters to comprehend.

In a separate interview, Jones said Led Zeppelin was too busy touring and recording to pay much attention to awards. But now, the recognition was "incredibly cool."

Bonham, whose alcohol-related death in 1980 at the age of 32 spelled the end of Led Zeppelin, was represented by children Jason and Zoe.

"It's totally overwhelming," said Zoe, who was five when he died. "The whole crazy thing about it is that it's a lifetime achievement award, and he's not here. The legend lives on."

Other posthumous recipients, most represented by family members, included Joplin, country pioneers the Carter Family, jazz drummer Art Blakey, composer Morton Gould, and jazz pianist Jelly Roll Morton.

The honorees were rounded out by gospel crossover group the Staple Singers, represented by Mavis and Yvonne Staples, and 91-year-old Delta blues pianist Pinetop Perkins, who will vie for his first Grammy on Sunday.
February 12th, 2005 11:03 PM
Steel Wheels God Bless Led Zeppelin. What fantastic music they made.
February 13th, 2005 11:35 AM
gimmekeef The fact Zep never won a grammy proves how irrelevant the Grammies are.......
February 13th, 2005 01:13 PM
Soldatti
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The fact Zep never won a grammy proves how irrelevant the Grammies are.......

And the Stones won the first Grammy on 1995 and they got a lifetime award on 1986...
February 13th, 2005 01:31 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:

"It wouldn't have taken much just to pop over here and meet everybody, would it really?" Page asked Reuters.

Well I guess we can forget about those rumours about a reunion.
February 13th, 2005 02:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
The fact Zep never won a grammy proves how irrelevant the Grammies are.......

True, although at least they've become somewhat more credible since the late 70's, as there was no "best rock n roll" (or "rock") category between 1966 and 1979, when Bob Dylan won HIS first Grammy - for "Gotta Serve Somebody".

I think Elvis won 3 Grammy's - all of them for gospel recordings.

The most ridiculous one of all were the 1964 awards.,..the year of the British Invasion which saw the Beatles and the Stones arrive in the US. The "best rock and roll" recording for THAT year was...."Downtown" by Petula Clark, with "The Girl from Ipanema" being "Record of The Year"...

February 13th, 2005 04:27 PM
glencar Not a huge Zep fan but they certainly deserve some recognition.
February 13th, 2005 05:59 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Not a huge Zep fan but they certainly deserve some recognition.

John Bonham was a great drummer....in some ways better than Baker or Moon.... a certain subtility that those guys don't have.
February 13th, 2005 06:35 PM
Poplar
rocked as hard as anyone - if not harder.

your time is gonna come
February 13th, 2005 07:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
February 13th, 2005 07:35 PM
rolling who What happened to that link to the unreleased John Bonham drum tracks that was posted up here a few days ago. Doesn't appear to be on the board anymore. I'd like to listen to these, so if anyone has them, could they please post them again.

Thanks.
February 13th, 2005 07:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels [quote]rolling who wrote:

WWW.DISNDAT.INFO/BONHAM

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 13th, 2005 08:51 PM
Martha Who opened the Grammy's, I missed it?

Congrats to the fabulous Zep! :-)
February 13th, 2005 09:04 PM
Soldatti U2 just played, zzzzzzzzz...
I can't believe how this new song (not Vertigo) is #1 on UK this week.
February 13th, 2005 09:23 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Black-eyed Peas, Gwen Stefani, Eve and Franz Ferdinand opened the Grammy's. Just watched the tribute to Southern Rock with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Gretchen Wilson (YUM!!!), Keith Urban, Elvin Bishop, Dicky Betts and Tim Mcgraw.
February 13th, 2005 09:26 PM
Martha Just saw the Southern Rock tribute, thanks for the info, M.O.W.A.T

February 13th, 2005 11:47 PM
Make It Funky Well cheers!! Thanks for the lowdown.. I watched the entire show, yet I didnt' see Jimmy Page accept anything, nor did I see any sign of Ike Turner?

It was great to finally hear/see those artists and individuals who have helped shaped music get some actual solid recognition in their music community. (Art Blakey, Ahmet Ertegun and Pinetop etc..)

I found the Loretta Lynn & Jack White acceptance speech to be quite amusing...

For me, I have to say it was the best Grammy Show Ive ever seen. Although no Stones, I thought the performances were fantastic and the new trend of dueting legends with newbies. Keith Urban yeah, Alicia & Norah sweet.. Joss Stone.. wow..

Cheers!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood