ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wembley '90..... Return to archive
February 11th, 2005 12:17 PM
balancer ....was my first Stones gig, \steel Wheels set (Keef busted his finger previously, Urban Jungle cancelled, which I had tickets for, 4 hours of queing....then no gig! never mind)m any one else there?
February 11th, 2005 02:04 PM
Gazza which show?

I was at the last two (of 5 Wembley shows) that were rescheduled from 13 & 14 July 1990 to 24th & 25th August. They were "Steel Wheels" shows as opposed to the "Urban Jungle" design used for most of the European tour, because they were being filmed for "At The Max".

The final night was the last show of the tour and Bill's last Stones concert.

I didnt have tickets for the original dates, but as these were the last shows I kinda did some emotional torture on the wife along the lines of "this will probably be their last ever shows" before she relented and agreed we should go. I got tickets which others had returned as the new dates didnt suit them.

They were very good, although the consensus from most people who went to all five was that the 2nd night (6th july) was the best of the lot.

[Edited by Gazza]
February 11th, 2005 11:54 PM
Poplar
good work gaza... a little white lie won't hurt.
February 12th, 2005 01:40 AM
riccardo I was at all London shows in 1990 too.
February 14th, 2005 05:11 PM
Stray Cat UK I was at the 7th of July show - down in the crush.
Would have liked to have seen the steel wheels show,but we where on Honeymoon by then (no excuse,I know !)

The 7th of July show was recorded by the BBC.
Sounds a lot better than my recording (on a Sony dictating machine).
I remember an awesome "Midnight Rambler" that night.

Wembley gigs were always special.Hope they play at least 1 at the new one.I think it opens spring 2006 ,so it could be a possibility.
February 14th, 2005 05:13 PM
glencar I was in London in late August 1990. I should've tried to go to Wembley & scalp a ticket but I didn't think tix would be available. I remember it was a Sunday night & I was leaving early the next day.
February 14th, 2005 05:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poplar wrote:

good work gaza... a little white lie won't hurt.

I wasnt lying. LOL. I genuinely believed (as most did) that the 1990 shows would be their last tour.

Mind you, I pulled the same stunt in 1995 all over again so I could get a 4 day pass to get to the last VL shows in Rotterdam!!

It didnt work in 2003 for Hong Kong for some reason.....
February 14th, 2005 05:34 PM
glencar Just as well, you missed the SARS!
February 14th, 2005 05:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
I was in London in late August 1990. I should've tried to go to Wembley & scalp a ticket but I didn't think tix would be available. I remember it was a Sunday night & I was leaving early the next day.

I think the shows were actually on a Friday and Saturday, from what I recall, but you may be right.

They were long sold out after they went on sale in March, but the only reason why you could have got tickets for the last two were the way I managed it - through returns by ticket holders after the postponements.

Normally, they were going outside for way over face value. The exception being the first show (4th july) which took place the same night as England were playing Germany in the World Cup semi final in Turin. The ticket touts took a bath that night!
February 14th, 2005 05:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Just as well, you missed the SARS!

LOL. I meant the shows at the end of the tour, not the cancelled ones in April
February 14th, 2005 05:38 PM
glencar Oooh. I'm looking forward to Wembley "06, if need be.
February 14th, 2005 05:51 PM
Gazza The new stadium officially opens in May 2006 for the FA Cup final

The Stones are THE band most associated with playing there, and the owners of the complex have as far as I know expressed a wish in having them as the first musical act to play there

As they're on tour in Europe that summer, I'd imagine its a near certainty.

The new stadium looks fantastic, too. 90,000 capacity (I suppose about 80,000 for concerts) so it'll be bigger than the original which was in dire need of being replaced anyway.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood