ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who opening for The Stones Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 11th, 2005 10:43 AM
rolling who OK, just kidding ... but can anyone see this happening some day? Sort of a package tour of great classic rock, rather than these Kiss/Aerosmith or Guess Who/BTO/Bad Company type tours?
February 11th, 2005 11:30 AM
voodoopug
quote:
rolling who wrote:
OK, just kidding ... but can anyone see this happening some day? Sort of a package tour of great classic rock, rather than these Kiss/Aerosmith or Guess Who/BTO/Bad Company type tours?

i think there are too many egos involved for this to work. The Who hasnt opened for anyone in years and the Stones always felt that The Who outperformed them at the R n R Circus, so I doubt they give the Who the opportunity to do it again. (everyone can have a bad night right?)

But I would love to see this one!
February 11th, 2005 01:16 PM
glencar I'll be at the T-shirt booths for the opening act...
February 11th, 2005 02:05 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'll be at the T-shirt booths for the opening act...

The Who can still sound good live (even though its only Pete and Roger). Zach Starky really fills in well and Pino is a very good bass player, remember, he did audition for the job that went to Daryl Jones!
February 11th, 2005 02:07 PM
Madafaka I don't know if my heart could support that...
February 11th, 2005 02:09 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I don't know if my heart could support that...

it is asking alot of the music purists!
February 11th, 2005 02:50 PM
kath for the charles/camille wedding???

February 11th, 2005 02:54 PM
voodoopug
quote:
kath wrote:
for the charles/camille wedding???

i can just smell the ppv revenue!
February 11th, 2005 02:55 PM
kath of coure, the really BIG issue is what is harry gonna wear to the wedding......
February 11th, 2005 03:02 PM
voodoopug
quote:
kath wrote:
of coure, the really BIG issue is what is harry gonna wear to the wedding......

his water polo uniform
February 11th, 2005 03:40 PM
Jumping Jack The Who opened for Aerosmith in Yokohama 04. Of course the next night The Who went last. Personally I would like to see Mick & Keef on a couple Who songs (5:15) and maybe Pete on some Stones songs. Can Pete do slide?
February 11th, 2005 04:12 PM
Dan Too expensive. The problem with these package tours is that they tend to cost twice as much as your average concerts and due to curfew issues, the bands play shorter sets. Aerosmith/KISS for example - rather than move to larger venues in most cities, they play the same ones they headline on their own, only they jacked the price up by $60. And each band only played 80 mins instead of the usual 2 hours. LAME!
February 11th, 2005 04:13 PM
Dan But I would rather see a 80 min Stones set with minimal sideman than a 2 hour show with Bernard taking lead vocals for the last third of the show.
February 11th, 2005 04:26 PM
rolling who As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think The Who are a very big draw anymore, other than in select pro-Who cities like Boston, NY, Chicago and Detroit, so opening for the Stones wouldn't me much of an ego-swallow for Pete and Rog. Rather, it would probably offer a better chance to show off any new material.

As for the Stones, I'm sure they're over being upstaged badly at the 'Rock 'n Roll Circus', and they're still friendly with the Who and probably wouldn't mind helping them out, if they need it. Plus, it would be an opening act people wouldn't fall asleep on, as has been the case at many recent Stones shows.

P.S. --- Anyone ever see the '30 Years of Maximum R&B' video in which Keith calls Pete one of his fav British guitarists and says that early Who has always been his favorite Who, but also criticizes their "operatic" work? He's also seen backstage with Pete and Moonie prior to the Charlton gig in 1974.

February 11th, 2005 05:37 PM
Riffhard The reason that The Who upstaged the Stones at the R'n'R Circus was fourfold.

First the Stones started their set at around 1:30 am. They did not finish(with a backing track to Salt of the Earth)until around 5:30 am. They were wiped out. So was the audience.

Secondly Brian may as well not have bothered to show up at all! His sole contribution was the slide work on No Expectations. Keith carried him for almost every other song. Watch it again and check out Brian during Sympathy! Nothing! He played the maraccas! Same goes for YGAGWYW. Keith was solo for all intents and purposses. Is it any wonder that this was Brian's last public performance with the band?! He was already gone by then. It was said that for the whole shoot that Brian often just sat in a corner and slept or cried. Even Townsend talks about how it was like watching the death of Brian during the taping of the Circus.

Third the Stones were playing relatively new material. Begger's had just come out and YGAGWYW obviously did not come out until '69's Let It Bleed. Compound that to the above comments about Brian and you can see how that was a very daunting task indeed.

And last,but by no means least. The Who had just finished a tour and were playing white hot at that particular time and place. The Stones had not played in public for close to two years prior the taping of the show.

The Who certainly did blow the Stones off their own stage that night in 1968,but I have seen both the Stones and The Who many many times since,and the Stones can destroy any bands' ego on any given night. Even The Who's. I saw the Stones in 1981 at the Fox Theater in Atlanta and The Who,as good as they are,have never come close to the performance that the Stones threw down that night at The Fox in Hotlanta. Not even close.

Riffhard
February 11th, 2005 06:12 PM
Dan The 2000 version of the Who would have been one of the best rock n roll shows ever (eclipsing recent Stones by a long shot) if I werent a mile away from the stage at one of the worst venues in Southern California (Hollywood Bowl).
I am sure Stones On Ice (post 81) could beat the Who on Ice (1989) any day though.
February 11th, 2005 06:18 PM
Jumping Jack The Who were clearly better at the Concert for NY, but then again it was only Mick and Keef.
February 11th, 2005 06:42 PM
rolling who It doesn't matter why the Who blew away the Stones at the 'Circus.' What matters is that they did, and in all likelihood, that's the main reason Mick didn't release it until 1997. And, as stated earlier, I'm sure Mick and the Stones are over it by now!
February 11th, 2005 07:07 PM
kath they really did rock the house down at concert for nyc.....old thunderfingers really let it loose!!!!

damn cocaine......
February 11th, 2005 09:26 PM
time is on my side
quote:
I saw the Stones in 1981 at the Fox Theater in Atlanta and The Who,as good as they are,have never come close to the performance that the Stones threw down that night at The Fox in Hotlanta.

Hey, I was at that show too (first time I ever saw the STONES live). By far the best performance I've ever seen them give (seen them about ten times since). I have to admit that the first time I saw the WHO was at the old Atlanta Municipal Auditorium back in 1971 (about as small as the FOX) and they definitely gave the STONES a run for their money. In fact, it's hard to say what show was better. They were both incredible!!!!! Two of the best shows I've ever seen. I remember waiting around forever for the STONES to show up and start playing. I don't even think they came on to around 11:00 (about the time their finishing up the shows now).

[Edited by time is on my side]
February 12th, 2005 04:38 AM
corgi37 Having the Who as support just wouldnt work. Look at Ac/dc as Sarsstock. Too much amplification and distortion. It would make the Stones seem timid and low volume.

Keith's 5 string twang aint a match for Pete's Les Paul roar!
February 12th, 2005 05:55 AM
Jumping Jack Good comparison with AC/CD. I don't think the current Who play as loud as the Stones these days however, but the sound clarity is much better.
February 13th, 2005 11:12 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! Being a Grateful Dead fan and huge Stones fan, it would be my dream gig for these two to share the stage together. The Dead will embark on their 40th year truck'n this summer, so maybe by some strange faite these two great bands will play a big out doors festival style show. Wow!!!!!!!!!
February 14th, 2005 05:22 PM
Joey

No One Can follow THE WHO ! Period !

Jacky !
February 14th, 2005 05:23 PM
glencar Shit, even Godsmack could follow the Who.
February 14th, 2005 05:27 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Shit, even Godsmack could follow the Who.

Blue ...............................

You asked for it ! :

February 14th, 2005 05:36 PM
glencar Johnny Cash does "Desperado" on his last CD. The song just sucks.
February 14th, 2005 05:46 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Johnny Cash does "Desperado" on his last CD. The song just sucks.

Johnny Cash WAS ' Punk Rock ' before ' Punk Rock ' was ever ' invented ' !

...huh ?!?!

Burscee Joe ! ™
February 14th, 2005 05:47 PM
glencar Shh, I'm now listening to the masterwork - Exile On Main Street!
February 14th, 2005 05:49 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Shh, I'm now listening to the masterwork - Exile On Main Street!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood