ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger - under-rated solo artist Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 10th, 2005 09:48 PM
Lazy Bones 10/02/2005
Mick Jagger - under-rated solo artist

Until I heard Mick Jagger's version of Long Black Veil, the traditional song which dominates the Chieftains' outstanding duets album of the same name, I just went along with the conventional wisdom.

It says that Mick Jagger's solo outings are less than vital. Some Stones critics (and fans) even argue that Keith Richards' solo albums, notably Talk Is Cheap, are superior.

Jagger is under-appreciated as a musician because all the other stuff - the women, the celebrity, the show biz - gets in the way, obscuring an outstanding vocal talent. But listen carefully, with an open mind, to his solo material - the four official albums, the film sound tracks (Performance, Alfie), and the guest appearances (Peter Tosh, David Bowie, Tina Turner…) - and Jagger can be heard as a nonpareil contemporary musician: a rock singer from the top drawer, especially on ballads. And an intermittently good writer, even without the other Glimmer Twin.

On the best material, Jagger's vocals stand comparison with those of any of his poprock peers. Even, heretical thought, with his singing on much of the Rolling Stones catalogue. Just listen to his poignant reading of the traditional song, Handsome Molly (on Wandering Spirit). Listen to the richly attractive timbre, the natural swing, the enviable range and the easy ability to emote. It's clear: Jagger's a top singer, even if his musicianship has been subverted by his persona as Jack Flash, prancing playboy.

She's the Boss (1985), Primitive Cool (1987), Wandering Spirit (1993), and Goddess In The Doorway (2002) are all worth a serious listen. They contain enough high quality material to make up a top class double CD compilation, a best-of which would position Jagger near the top of the poprock heap. In the absence of such a compilation, these albums demand the full attention of those who realised long ago that the Jagger-led Stones are rather more than mere entertainers.

Media reaction to Jagger releases usually includes a fair bit of critical smirking: the Jagger-baiting press delights in reporting disappointing sales. Some of the criticisms are valid: Jagger's subject matter can be iffy; his solo writing can veer between razor sharp and embarrassing; and the albums' production values occasionally strain credibility.

And yet... and yet... there's some fine music in these CDs. Much of it puts me in mind of Goats Head Soup, and the best of the later (post-Black and Blue) Stones. Mick Jagger's solo albums position him as an essential musician for grown-ups.

Gerry Smith

http://www.spacemonkeylab.com/mfgu/blog/archives/00000398.html

February 10th, 2005 10:00 PM
voodoopug While understanding that the majority of Mick's solo material seems over produced, few fans can deny that Wandering Spirit is a very good album
February 10th, 2005 10:03 PM
JumpingKentFlash Wandering Spirit is great. The rest sucks monkey balls. Period. 'Nuff said..........
February 10th, 2005 10:09 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Wandering Spirit is great. The rest sucks monkey balls. Period. 'Nuff said..........

you have not given Old Habits a fair enough listen then. You are not being fair to your ears if you do not give some of the other material a listen. There are other good songs hidden within the other discs: Hard Woman, Just Another Night, God gave Me everything, Throwaway, etc
February 10th, 2005 10:20 PM
Bloozehound I've never cared much for any of Jaggers solo work

If anyone thinks it's underrated then I'll tell'em they're highly overrating it
February 10th, 2005 10:28 PM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
you have not given Old Habits a fair enough listen then. You are not being fair to your ears if you do not give some of the other material a listen. There are other good songs hidden within the other discs: Hard Woman, Just Another Night, God gave Me everything, Throwaway, etc

It's funny: The songs you mention, with the exception of OHDH, are the ones that truly suck the most. Hard Woman.........Please. Gimme Starfucker any day of the week. Hell, gimme Back To Zero instead of that crap.......
February 10th, 2005 10:44 PM
Soldatti Wandering Spirit is excelent, the best Stones or solo album post 1981. The rest is average (Primitive Cool), overproduced (She's The Boss) and embarrassing (Goddess).
February 10th, 2005 11:16 PM
Lavendar I guess ya just can't have it all!? {Or can Ya?}
When I listen to She's the boss, I wonder why I had liked it so much back then, but maybe with all the editing they can do to songs it might just sound even BETTER now. As all tunes the more ya listen the more you adapt.
Sometimes, things can appear different based on the frame of mind your in. Your just a figmant of my Imagination.
I can't believe the comments about Goddess, I love this CD but then I also like AC DC! THUNDERSTRUCK!
February 10th, 2005 11:56 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

It's funny: The songs you mention, with the exception of OHDH, are the ones that truly suck the most. Hard Woman.........Please. Gimme Starfucker any day of the week. Hell, gimme Back To Zero instead of that crap.......

Hard Woman is a ballad, Starfucker is a rock track, not a good comparison.
February 11th, 2005 12:02 AM
time is on my side Always thought WANDERING SPIRIT was an excellent album and the one that I still listen to on a regular basis. WANDERING SPIRIT along with TALK IS CHEAP are the crown jewels of the solo STONE canon in my humble opinion. No other album comes close though there a few songs here and there on all the albums that have some merit.

I've also always WANDERED what kind of STONES ALBUM would VOODOO LOUNGE have been if JAGGER would have kept the best material from WANDERING SPIRIT (it was released in 1993) and included it on VOODOO LOUNGE which was released in 1994.
February 11th, 2005 12:10 AM
voodoopug
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
Always thought WANDERING SPIRIT was an excellent album and the one that I still listen to on a regular basis. WANDERING SPIRIT along with TALK IS CHEAP are the crown jewels of the solo STONE canon in my humble opinion. No other album comes close though there a few songs here and there on all the albums that have some merit.

I've also always WANDERED what kind of STONES ALBUM would VOODOO LOUNGE have been if JAGGER would have kept the best material from WANDERING SPIRIT (it was released in 1993) and included it on VOODOO LOUNGE which was released in 1994.

i often wondered the same thing
February 11th, 2005 12:51 AM
BILL PERKS MY FAV MICK SONGS
BLIND LEADING THE BLIND-ACOUSTIC
PARTY DOLL
OUT OF FOCUS
WANDERING SPIRIT
EVENING GOWN
DONT CALL ME UP
BLUE
LONG BLACK VEIL
SECRETS
OLD HABITS
LONELY XMAS-JOSS STONE
WIRED ALL NIGHT
JUST ANOTHER NIGHT

THE BAD
PRIMITIVE COOL
LETS WORK
SHES THE BOSS
USE ME
LETS MAKE IT UP
DANCIN IN THE STREET
RUTHLESS PEOPLE
WAR BABY
JOY
GUN
February 11th, 2005 01:31 AM
ResidentMule "Keith Richards' solo albums, notably Talk Is Cheap, are superior."

no shit. Wicked as it Seems alone makes Main Offender better than anything from Mick's solo career too.

Wandering Spirit does have some good stuff though. I've never heard all of Primative Cool, I think I've heard enough. I used to have She's the Boss (on cassette I think), I haven't heard that album in fucking ages (probably since before Voodoo Lounge came out). I really would like to hear it again. the less I say about Goddess, the better. I have a very minimal curiosity about Alfie, having heard only about 20 seconds of Old Habits.

but I feel more cheated that we haven't gotten another Keef album in the span since B2B than I do from not getting a new Stones record in 8 years. I can't figure out why the fuck he wouldn't do one
February 11th, 2005 01:37 AM
ResidentMule
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
MY FAV MICK SONGS
BLIND LEADING THE BLIND-ACOUSTIC
PARTY DOLL
OUT OF FOCUS
WANDERING SPIRIT
EVENING GOWN
DONT CALL ME UP
BLUE
LONG BLACK VEIL
SECRETS
OLD HABITS
LONELY XMAS-JOSS STONE
WIRED ALL NIGHT
JUST ANOTHER NIGHT

THE BAD
PRIMITIVE COOL
LETS WORK
SHES THE BOSS
USE ME
LETS MAKE IT UP
DANCIN IN THE STREET
RUTHLESS PEOPLE
WAR BABY
JOY
GUN

you almost had me going until Dancin in the Street. but not recognizing most anything off Primative Cool made me not sure if you were joking or not for a second. 'Dogshit' isn't half as embarrassing as Dancin In The St

anyway, can anyone give me a reason to check out Primative Cool? if not, I'll just stay in the dark
February 11th, 2005 01:38 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
time is on my side wrote:
WANDERING SPIRIT along with TALK IS CHEAP are the crown jewels of the solo STONE canon in my humble opinion. No other album comes close...

what about monkey grip..?

February 11th, 2005 01:54 AM
MrPleasant I've an MP3 called "Lonely at the top", which I downloaded from Jair Motta's Collection (while it was still in operation), listed in RO's audio room.

I can't discern the lyrics (I'm possitive it's Jagger singing, though); it goes something like: "hey baby, what you're trying to do/what's the matter with your mind/ooh, my baby she don't love, she don't love me", etc.

I like it a lot; sounds like a garage band, rehearsing a very catchy tune; very energetic, uplifting. Anyone heard it, or has any information to share, please? It doesn't sound like the synth-infested track from She's The Boss, which I haven't heard in a long time. It must be a different song.

Wandering Spirit is beautiful, except for the last two songs. Leave that stuff to Elvis Costello, please.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 11th, 2005 01:59 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

what about monkey grip..?

I like "I wanna get me a gun", but it's the only track I've hard. If the rest of the album lives to its sleazy fun I wouldn't mind listening to it.
February 11th, 2005 03:41 AM
F505 Wandering Spirit has THE spirit
February 11th, 2005 07:44 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Hard Woman is a ballad, Starfucker is a rock track, not a good comparison.

Wasn't comparing. But I could name tons and heaps of Stones ballads that knocks Hard Woman to hell easily.

And the video for Hard Woman...............WTF!!!!!
February 11th, 2005 08:02 AM
J.J.Flash Wandering Spirit is incredible. Now, I always wondered WHY the critcs have considered "She's the boss" superior to "Primitive Cool". Once I heard PC was crap w/out a proper listening......but after buying this one (as vinyl btw), I'm now proud to say that "She's the boss" is horseshit, that's embarrasing for a Rock'n'Roll addicted, for every Rolling Stones' fan, completely embarrasing.....I feel shame for that record. In the other hand, our Micky gave us that great Primitive Cool and Wandering Spirit.
February 11th, 2005 08:40 AM
F505 Amen JJ Flash
February 11th, 2005 10:44 AM
glimmercat I have She's the Boss & Wandering Spirit & I think I agree with the concensus that Spirit is amazing & Boss is horrible dreck. (I only listened to Boss once, so my opinion of it may have changed in the meantime, but I doubt it.) And I'm a devoted MickChick. I have yet to hear PC & Goddess, but I find it hard to believe either of them could be as bad as She's the Boss. BLICK

As for Keith, I can barely stand his singing on *Stones* songs, so I've never heard any of his solo stuff. I'm sort of curious, but only in that "I-wonder-what-it's-like-to-have-bamboo-shoots-driven-under-your-fingernails??" kind of way. DOUBLE BLICK

meow
February 11th, 2005 10:47 AM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

Wasn't comparing. But I could name tons and heaps of Stones ballads that knocks Hard Woman to hell easily.

And the video for Hard Woman...............WTF!!!!!

now now my young Dane, You mustn't think i was comparing the Stones Ballads to Mick's, you are reading between the lines there. My point was that i like some of Micks Songs. Dig up some 80's era MTV and you will see that Mick is not the only one with odd videos.
February 11th, 2005 01:23 PM
glencar
quote:
glimmercat wrote:
I have She's the Boss & Wandering Spirit & I think I agree with the concensus that Spirit is amazing & Boss is horrible dreck. (I only listened to Boss once, so my opinion of it may have changed in the meantime, but I doubt it.) And I'm a devoted MickChick. I have yet to hear PC & Goddess, but I find it hard to believe either of them could be as bad as She's the Boss. BLICK

As for Keith, I can barely stand his singing on *Stones* songs, so I've never heard any of his solo stuff. I'm sort of curious, but only in that "I-wonder-what-it's-like-to-have-bamboo-shoots-driven-under-your-fingernails??" kind of way. DOUBLE BLICK

meow

Now don't take this the wrong way but one would think a "devoted Mick Chick" would have at least listened to those efforts a couple of times.

For the record, I like all of Mick's solo stuff. Talk Is Cheap is probably better than any of them though. Main Offender is not so good.
February 11th, 2005 01:32 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:

Now don't take this the wrong way but one would think a "devoted Mick Chick" would have at least listened to those efforts a couple of times.

For the record, I like all of Mick's solo stuff. Talk Is Cheap is probably better than any of them though. Main Offender is not so good.

my personal taste ranks the solo material like this (some are excluded as i havent listened to them, or just dont like them, for example, Monkey Grip Glue)

1. Talk Is Cheap
2. Main Offender
3. Wandering Spirit
4. Slide on This
5. Goddess in the Doorway
6. Alfie
7. She's The Boss
8. Primitive Cool

Keefs Live at the Paladium is my favorite, but i only included studio efforts.
February 11th, 2005 01:35 PM
glencar I like Palladium too. More than the other stuff. I was in the Poconos last week & some station played two songs off of it! I was amazed. The RW solo with I Can Feel The Fire would be high on my own list. So would Slide On Live if live stuff counted.
February 11th, 2005 01:49 PM
voodoopug
quote:
glencar wrote:
I like Palladium too. More than the other stuff. I was in the Poconos last week & some station played two songs off of it! I was amazed. The RW solo with I Can Feel The Fire would be high on my own list. So would Slide On Live if live stuff counted.

what album was I can feel your fire and Breathe on? they are great tunes.

I had a copy of Slide on Live but it was destroyed in a fire...have not been able to find a replacement since, sadly
February 11th, 2005 03:45 PM
glimmercat
quote:
glencar wrote:

I tried!! I really did. But it was just too disappointing, especially after listening to the Stones--expectations were too high & it couldn't possibly deliver. I should prolly play it after forcing myself to listen to something icky like Led Zep, but who's got time to listen to crap music?? Which is why I haven't been able to bring myself to try out solo Keith. What's "better" about it? The music, the lyrics?? Or (god forbid!!) the *vocals*?? I think it's going to be quite a while before I'm able to give Keith a fair shake. Vive la difference. (Or is it "le difference"? It's been *years* since French Immersion LOL!)

meow

[Edited by glimmercat]
February 11th, 2005 10:44 PM
glencar Pug, PM me if you want copies of those two CD's. I'll need all your info.
February 11th, 2005 10:55 PM
voodoopug glencar, you have PM
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood