ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
Đ Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAŅOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another Thread Showing Off Your Exquisite Listening Tastes Pt. VII Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
November 24th, 2004 12:04 AM
Zack The Kinks - Preservation. I just distilled the two CDs down to one and it's a much better listening experience. Start with the single, then leave all of Act I except the opening "Morning Song," then cut much of the dead wood on Act II, especially those annoying "announcements."

"He's Evil," "Scum of the Earth" (despite the Merchant of Venice bit), and "Second Hand Car Spiv" are all the same song. Not a successful project, to say the least, but some good music in there.
November 24th, 2004 02:25 AM
mac_daddy good points about the LP format. i like nasty's idea of having it be the b-side of a harlem shuffle 12"

some of the tracks they select for official releases boggles my mind - for instance, i think the long "you got me rockin'" found on brew (or is it stew? - i forget which) kicks ass over the one that made the album (again, maybe mick's vocal, or lack thereof, is the reason)...

quote:

My favourite of all of those outtakes is "Baby Youre Too Much". Theres a newer take of it thats circulated in the last couple of years which I've still never seen mentioned on a bootleg CD. Its the same take, as far as I can tell, but it sounds a bit more polished and has a lot of saxophone overdubbed onto it. Has anyone else heard this version?

i have not heard this one, but i will definitely seek it out...

are thre any undercover outtake albums i should be looking for..? you mention the bridges stuff isn't circulating, but i would love to hear that stuff, too...

November 24th, 2004 12:25 PM
Madafaka Really a Hard Rock day:

AC/DC - Back In Black (Remastered)
AC/DC - Live (Collector's Edition 2 cds)
AC/DC - Live Manchester 2K
November 24th, 2004 06:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Live Licks D2
Fleshtones-"Do You Swing?"
Swingin' Neckbreakers-"Live For Buzz"
Mac & The Bump Band-"Rise & Shine"
Ramones-"Acid Eaters"
November 24th, 2004 08:52 PM
Nasty Habits Hey! I just played Live For Buzz about a week ago. I hadn't listened to it in probably seven years. I was happy to discover that it was still a really kick ass record.

Currently:

Johnny Guitar Watson and Larry Williams -- Two for the Price of One
Jon Wayne -- Texas Funeral
Kokomo Arnold -- Essential Kokomo Arnold
November 24th, 2004 09:36 PM
Soldatti Live Licks
2003 Cirkus boot
November 24th, 2004 10:09 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Live Aid DVD -- bringing back a flood of memories from my teenage years!
November 25th, 2004 04:26 AM
Zeeta Sandinista! - 1st Disc - Lightning Strikes (Not once but twice!)
A drive in Church, a drive in bank,
roll a skateboard, ride a tank!

The Specials - The Specials - Maybe one of THE all time best debuts!

November 25th, 2004 08:42 AM
gustavobala
my other exquisite taste is SAMBA-ROCK

tim maia 1970
tim maia 1971
tim maia 1972
tim maia 1973
tim maia racional vol. 1 - 1974
tim maia racional vol. 2 - 1974
tim maia 1976

jorge ben - tabua de esmeraldas - 1974
jorge ben - dez anos depois - 1973
jorge ben - africa brasil - 1976
jorge ben - negro é lindo - 1969
jorge ben - ben - 1972
jorge ben - forįa bruta - 1970
November 25th, 2004 08:47 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Live Licks D2
Fleshtones-"Do You Swing?"
Swingin' Neckbreakers-"Live For Buzz"
Mac & The Bump Band-"Rise & Shine"
Ramones-"Acid Eaters"

Stonesy, I love the fleshtones, does "do you swing" a good album??
my fav is still "solid gold sound"

cheers
JU
November 25th, 2004 08:58 PM
Soldatti Pink Floyd's Pulse
November 25th, 2004 10:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah Ju, Do You Swing is worth picking up. Some monster tunes on it.

I've seen the Fleshtones twice this year. Great live band...lotsa fun. Nice guys too.
November 25th, 2004 10:08 PM
Madafaka RS - Made In The Shade
RS - Tattoo You
Mick Jagger - Live In Australia
November 26th, 2004 07:46 AM
Monkey Woman Jimmy Reed, Down In Mississippi. Good old blues got a hold on me today.
November 26th, 2004 10:33 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Frank Zappa: LÄTHER
November 26th, 2004 01:22 PM
Nasty Habits Hey Voo -- I wonder if Punky is rehearsing today?

Currently: Pavement -- Crooked Rain Reduxe - disc 2

November 26th, 2004 01:57 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Hey Voo -- I wonder if Punky is rehearsing today?

Currently: Pavement -- Crooked Rain Reduxe - disc 2

there's a deluxe of that one, too? i thought they just redid slanted and enchanted... what's on the bonus disc? i guess matador is milking the pavement catalog for all it is worth...

"spritzer, on ice in new york city, isn't it a pity..."

currently:

watt and the secondmen oct 23, 2004 (brooklyn)
November 26th, 2004 02:17 PM
Nasty Habits The first disc has the entirety of the album and all the various and sundry b-sides and compilation tracks that they did from around the period. It's all prev rel. and is some of the tastiest/catchiest melodic guitar driven rock of the era. Genius.

But the second disc is all unreleased -- it's either working versions of songs from CR or stuff that wound up on Wowee Zowee, plus another Peel Session. Best for a die-hard Gary Young fan like myself is that eight of the tracks have his drumming on them, and while the versions are too incomplete here to know what he would have come up with for an actual album, the take of "Flux=Rad" on here is like an indie rock version of Wipe Out. On a whole the disc is pretty loose and outtakey, but as a fan of that band I'm really enjoying playing it.

November 26th, 2004 10:48 PM
Soldatti Beatles Anthology Vol. 2
November 26th, 2004 11:15 PM
Lazy Bones

GRADY - Y.U. So Shady?

Consisting of Gordie Johnson (Big Sugar), Ben Richardson and Chris Layton (Double Trouble). Currently playing live and recording in Austin, TX.

http://www.shadygrady.net/
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
November 27th, 2004 03:13 AM
beer the Nirvana box set is absolutely amazing.

IF you liked Nirvana, Great!

If you hated them, then don't bother.

BUT...... They did what alot of bands should do. They released a TRUE box set of out-takes, B- sides and rarities, PLUS a fuckin RARE DVD!!!.

For hardcore fans: Demos, home recordings, Rare studio stuff.

The shithead Stones should've done this.

And the sad thing is........ THE STONES NEVER WILL........
Never ever ever will.

Soo...........

You me, and we, are Stones fans with the "Don't Stop" video and Live Licks.... Aren't we lucky???
November 27th, 2004 06:29 AM
stewed & Keefed Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar - Frank Zappa.

Unbelievable Good
November 27th, 2004 08:15 AM
J.J.Flash James Brown - Sex Machine......

hey....I never been too much into James Brown (at least as much as I could/should) but heck... that nigga really funk the shit outta me Ronnie

"Thrill my funk soul Ronnie"
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
November 27th, 2004 11:08 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Hey Voo -- I wonder if Punky is rehearsing today?

LOl no, now he falled in love with some Rocks Off members

...Developing

Filthy Habits
November 27th, 2004 11:50 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Keith Richards Blues by Patti Smith hehe

http://rocksoff.org/h4-keithrichardsbluesbypattismith.mp3
November 27th, 2004 11:57 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The Great Society with Grace Slick before she joined the Airplane, great versions of White Rabbit (longer more than 6 minutes with a great intro) and Somebody to Love, a true sike-ay-delic band

November 27th, 2004 06:34 PM
mac_daddy speaking of pavement - i am now listening to this

(not my notes)

Stephen Malkmus
La Trastienda,
Buenos Aires, Argentina
October.23rd.2004

Taper: Rony Kohn
Source: Custom Stereo Mics > Sony MZ-NF810 MD
Transfer: NF810 > RCA Cable > Sound Blaster PCI 128 > Cool Edit Pro > WAV > SHN

01 We Dance
02 Trigger Cut
03 New Song
04 Blue Arrangements (Silver Jews Song)
05 Church On White
06 Here
07 New Song
08 In The Mouth A Desert
09 New Song
10 New Song
11 Maker of Modern
12 Spit On A Stranger
13 Father To A Sister Of Thought
14 Elevate Me Later
15 No More Blues
16 Jenny & The Ess Dog / Encore Break
17 Cut Your Hair (Intro)
18 Animal Midnight
19 Range Life

The show started around 23:30 hs with an electric version of We Dance followed by
Trigger Cut. Then he played Blue Arrangements (Silver Jews song), Church On White, Here,
In The Mouth A Desert and some new songs (not in this particular order).
After the end of Spit On A starnger he said "Momento, baņo. Un momento por favor"
(Wait a moment, Bathroom. Just a moment please) and then he run to the bathroom, he came back
in two or three minutes to play a great version of Father To A Sister Of Thought.
When he came back for the encore, a good part of the audience was singing the intro
for Trigger Cut, the last time he played in Buenos Aires (2002) the audience ask him to play Trigger Cut
for the enocre but he didnīt, this time he sang the beginning of the song with the audience and
then started to play Animal Midnight. The show ended with a really great version of Range Life.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
November 27th, 2004 06:50 PM
Nasty Habits Wow, Pavement songs!

How's the playing? I've seen the solo Malky Mouse show twice and the first time was great, but the second was atrocious.

Currently:

Today's Replacement Party, courtesy of the chrome plated megaphone of destiny. . .
November 27th, 2004 07:09 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Wow, Pavement songs!

How's the playing? I've seen the solo Malky Mouse show twice and the first time was great, but the second was atrocious.

actually the playing is pretty straight up - better than i expected (as i have seen some bad malky gigs)...

quote:
Currently:

Today's Replacement Party, courtesy of the chrome plated megaphone of destiny. . .

i missed your show today - i was out drinking viciously watching my eagles choke away their bcs bowl berth...

November 27th, 2004 08:52 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes... I'm listening something special for today, Ya Yas Out 35 years after it was recorded as most of the tracks come from today's show

Drinking and smoking good stuff

Ya Yas the best cure for everything as it includes a killer version of Midnight Rambler (Hi Sir Stonesalot)

Play it LOUD... no babies not that LOUD

LOUDER
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood