ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Forum, Montreal July 17, 1972
© Harold Whyte with special thanks to Harold Colson aka Stoneslib
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Another Thread Showing Off Your Exquisite Listening Tastes Pt. VII Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
November 21st, 2004 01:44 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
been live music for me over Friday & saturday night

Friday - Steve Earle & The Dukes, Barrowland, Glasgow
Saturday - The Rollin' Clones, Empire, Belfast

Steve's show was very Stonesy in theme. They played the "Let it Bleed" album over the PA before the show, his opening act Alison Moorer sported a figure hugging "Stones 72 tour" t-shirt which was enough to give me sufficient fantasies of depraved sexual acts to last me a month and towards the end of his own set, Steve quipped that there were "only two ways of curing the post-election blues - One - get the fuck out of the country, and two - play Rolling Stones covers" before playing a great version of "Sweet Virginia". He played 30 songs in a set lasting 140 minutes!

The tribute band show was great fun too. They didnt just do the obvious greatest hits stuff either (opening with "YGMR" and closing with "Dont stop", no less!).
[Edited by Gazza]

sounds to me like you caught two fantastic performances by steve earle and the dukes - you lukcky man!

November 21st, 2004 02:39 PM
Gazza Two of the best concerts I've ever seen by anyone, in fact.

Barrowland Ballroom is a fantastic venue with a GREAT crowd. I've been at two shows there - both this year - by Dylan and Steve Earle, and both were jaw droppingly brilliant, partly because of the audience. When I met Steve last week he told me how much he was looking forward to playing that venue again - he obviously meant it as he said before the show started that it was the "best gig in the world".

oh, to see the Stones in a venue like that in 2006.
November 21st, 2004 02:53 PM
mac_daddy i think steve earle is one of those acts, like the great american jazz acts in the '40s and '50s, that have a stronger european fanbase than they do in here @ home. i'll leave the politics to others, but it seems steve gets alot more respect over there, and he is probably selling out larger venues than he does here in the states, too... mark lanegan is another of my current faves who i know gets more love in europe than he does here...

btw - i love the signature
November 21st, 2004 03:27 PM
Monkey Woman The Stones - HTW on Angel Fire right now! Yay
November 21st, 2004 03:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
i think steve earle is one of those acts, like the great american jazz acts in the '40s and '50s, that have a stronger european fanbase than they do in here @ home. i'll leave the politics to others, but it seems steve gets alot more respect over there, and he is probably selling out larger venues than he does here in the states, too... mark lanegan is another of my current faves who i know gets more love in europe than he does here...

btw - i love the signature

Steve Earle is a great man....plain and simple. Agree with him or not, that's obvious. With GWB it's obvious too, he'll never be "great" because he is who he is. Four more years will never change that.

November 21st, 2004 05:31 PM
glencar He's greater than Kerry though.

Anyhoo, I've been playing Stones at Sun Devil '81. Great sounding show.
November 21st, 2004 08:03 PM
mac_daddy currently: only when it's frozen (mickboy's aftermath)

earlier:

nov 8 and nov 9 (early) 1969
seattle supersonic (thanks jumping jack)

nov 10, 1981

November 21st, 2004 11:00 PM
Soldatti Metamorphosis
U2/How To Dismantle...
B.B. King/Deuces Wild
November 22nd, 2004 01:21 PM
Nasty Habits Sixto Rodriguez -- Cold Fact
November 22nd, 2004 02:22 PM
stewed & Keefed Now

Blue Matter - Savoy Brown
November 22nd, 2004 02:36 PM
Dan Right now an audio rip of the Pixies DVD in the walkman.
November 22nd, 2004 09:36 PM
mac_daddy dirty work sessions (thanks maxL)...

i am enjoying these tunes, much more than i thought - good stuff!
November 22nd, 2004 10:42 PM
Soldatti
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
dirty work sessions (thanks maxL)...

Good stuff there: Strictly Memphis, Deep Love, You're Too Much and others.
November 22nd, 2004 10:43 PM
Soldatti Classic Queen
Voodoo Brew
November 23rd, 2004 04:23 AM
Poplar
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Antibalas
The Association
November 23rd, 2004 04:24 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Antibalas
The Association

antibalas is great - i taped them when they played the el rey over summer... i love that afrobeat groove!!!
November 23rd, 2004 04:31 AM
Poplar
Hell Yeah!
Somewhere, Fela is puff'n one down with a big, proud smile on his face.
November 23rd, 2004 06:44 AM
mac_daddy to follow up on the dirty work sessions...

absolutely - deep love is sweet, and how invitation didnt make it on the album is quite curious - it is beautiful, like what you find on tattoo you's second side...

i am not nuts about winning ugly or strictly memphis. and back to zero - i can safely say i will neveer listen to that tune again (how did that make the final tracklist?)

dancing girls and what's the matter are fantastic - where are they from..?
November 23rd, 2004 01:56 PM
Nasty Habits Invitation rules. It would sound pretty ridiculous on any album considering it's what, nine minutes long? It would have been the ultimate b-side ever to say, the 12" of Harlem Shuffle, though.

Can't believe you don't like Strictly Memphis -- one of my fave prev unrel Stones tunes ever -- classic dumb Stones American geography lesson (Goin' to Memphis/down to New Orleans? -- Only disassociated jet set rock stars think like that.) That song would have seriously souled up side one of Dirty Work. I still think they picked the right tunes for DW, though.

November 23rd, 2004 01:59 PM
Joey " I still think they picked the right tunes for DW, though. "

<-------------- You make Joey sad .

November 23rd, 2004 02:33 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Invitation rules. It would sound pretty ridiculous on any album considering it's what, nine minutes long? It would have been the ultimate b-side ever to say, the 12" of Harlem Shuffle, though.

Can't believe you don't like Strictly Memphis -- one of my fave prev unrel Stones tunes ever -- classic dumb Stones American geography lesson (Goin' to Memphis/down to New Orleans? -- Only disassociated jet set rock stars think like that.) That song would have seriously souled up side one of Dirty Work. I still think they picked the right tunes for DW, though.

i'll give it another listen (strictly memphis), but i wasnt impressed with either take last night...

i'll tell what does impress me - seattle supersonic. that is one helluva performance! i wonder why nobody has signed up for the tree..?
November 23rd, 2004 02:38 PM
Nasty Habits I musta missed that particular tree. How's the bass? Is there good bottom end? Love listening to Wyman '81!

Currently:

Fred Neil -- The Other Side of Life
November 23rd, 2004 03:18 PM
Lil Brian KBFH San Diego '81, Paris Outtakes Vol. 1&2, Drive Carefully (Boulder'81), Charlie is my Darling DVD
November 23rd, 2004 03:24 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I musta missed that particular tree.

it's stickied up at the top of the board

quote:
Love listening to Wyman '81!

me, too!

quote:
How's the bass? Is there good bottom end?
the bottom end is definitely present - not as much in the lower frequencies as i would like, but none of these (81 sbd) sources has that warm, fat botom end that i adore. but then again, i don't think the stones had their mix that way, so the issue is moot. as far as stones live gigs - you definitely hear bill through and through - and he, like the rest of the band, are very sharp. ronnie lays down some stuff that wows me like some of the '75 performances do...

November 23rd, 2004 03:25 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
KBFH San Diego '81, Drive Carefully (Boulder'81), Charlie is my Darling DVD

i dont have any of those...

are the 1981 sources complete..?

what's on the dvd..?
November 23rd, 2004 06:08 PM
Lil Brian
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
are the 1981 sources complete..?

I think "Drive Carefully" may be complete. (26 tracks)
It's been in my vinyl collection forever and I was very fortunate to trade for a cdr copy. My FIRST Stones Shows!

The Rolling Stones
1981 American Tour
p&c Concert Series Records
MF-BC 10481
Live at Folsom Field
Boulder, Colorado USA
Sunday, October 4, 1981
November 23rd, 2004 06:11 PM
Navin Have about 4 outtake CDRs of Dirty Work...Dirty Workout, High Temperature Rehearsals, DW Demos, DW Outtakes, and Dirty Undercovers.

Don't really remember a lot of the titles - will have to look them up - though an excellent Keith ballad - "You're too much" appears about 2-4 times, and also an instrumental with minimal vocals "Fight" by Keith.

Think Woody wrote one song at these sessions "Knock Your Teeth Out (one by one)" and later used it for his 1992 album 'Slide on This
November 23rd, 2004 06:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
to follow up on the dirty work sessions...

absolutely - deep love is sweet, and how invitation didnt make it on the album is quite curious - it is beautiful, like what you find on tattoo you's second side...

i am not nuts about winning ugly or strictly memphis. and back to zero - i can safely say i will neveer listen to that tune again (how did that make the final tracklist?)

dancing girls and what's the matter are fantastic - where are they from..?

Mac - "Invitation" is over fifteen minutes long. That in a nutshell is why it didnt appear on DW (also, plus the fact that good though it is, it sounds more like an improvised workout than a finished song). It was the pre-CD era and would have taken up one third of the length of a normal album. The DW outtakes are generally better than many of the released songs but it would have made no sense commercially to have released them as most of the best ones feature Keith on lead vocals and "Invitation" features as much of Womack and Don Covay as it does of Mick (plus "Strictly Memphis" is a Jagger/Womack duet too). They could have ended up releasing an album on which Mick Jagger sings lead on about a third or a half of it.

Similarly, most of the BTB leftovers are songs with Keith on lead vocal (although they havent circulated). Again, regardless of how good those songs may be, the fact that the released album had an unprecedented 3 out of 13 songs with him on lead vocal meant it commercial sense to leave them off.

It was a great thrill when the tape of those DW sessions circulated in early 1987. I got a 3rd gen recording of it way before it ever appeared (in shorter form) on bootleg LP and it was a great bargaining tool to use for trading for other rare stuff at the time!

My favourite of all of those outtakes is "Baby Youre Too Much". Theres a newer take of it thats circulated in the last couple of years which I've still never seen mentioned on a bootleg CD. Its the same take, as far as I can tell, but it sounds a bit more polished and has a lot of saxophone overdubbed onto it. Has anyone else heard this version?
November 23rd, 2004 09:49 PM
Soldatti Today
Ronnie's Gimme Some Neck
Keith's Live At Hollywood Palladium
November 23rd, 2004 11:50 PM
Madafaka OASIS - Familiar To Million
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood