ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Absolutely Live - Interview by Dick Cavett
ABC TV-Studios NYC - August 11, 1972
© 1972 Annie Leibovitz

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Springsteen mentions Factory Girl Return to archive
02-13-04 04:04 PM
Factory Girl Can you guess which Bruce song mentions FG?
02-13-04 04:09 PM
Mr. D Ugh, not sure, but maybe "Factory", off of the "Darkness" album(my personal fav).
02-13-04 04:14 PM
Scottfree I've mentioned Factory girl asswell......
02-13-04 05:19 PM
Stonesdoug 4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy)
02-13-04 05:29 PM
Factory Girl Stonesdoug, you are the winner! PM for your prize.
02-13-04 07:34 PM
glencar I recently bought "The Essential BS" & it's quite dandy. Even some of the recent stuff is up to snuff.
02-13-04 07:48 PM
Gazza Bonus Cd was a bit short though IMO

Theres quite a few more unreleased post-1980 gems he could have tacked on there.

But shit, 3 discs for the price of one if you bought it reasonably early enough isnt bad, I guess!

Some of the "recent stuff" is every bit as good as anything he's ever done before IMO!
[Edited by Gazza]
02-13-04 07:51 PM
glencar I'd have liked "Fire" on there but that's kind of old. What else would you ahve put on there?
02-15-04 01:23 PM
Factory Girl I'm listening to Bruce now. I think I had enoguh.
02-15-04 06:36 PM
mac_daddy have you ever heard the Lost Masters collection? Disc 3 is filled with Nebraska outtakes, and the other seven discs are pretty sweet, too...

how about the Prodigal Son sets..? those live up to all the hoopla surrounding them, as well...
02-15-04 06:57 PM
Gazza >I'd have liked "Fire" on there but that's kind of old. What else would you have put on there?

well.."Fire" was written in 1977 and recorded during the "Darkness on the edge of town" sessions and he intended to give it to Elvis but he died before that happened so Robert Gordon cut it instead. However, Bruce did release a live version of "Fire" on the "Live 1975/85" album

The bonus CD on "Essential" only seems to feature songs from 1980 onwards. Some of them had never been released before, and others are hard to find or previously unavailable on CD

It included all the unreleased songs he played at the end of the reunion tour in New York in June 2000, except for "Another Thin Line". Its certainly worthy of inclusion. He played a song called "Freehold" in NJ on the same tour which was possibly the most autobiographical (and one of the funniest) sings he ever wrote.

There were a few new songs released on the limited edition promo CD that accompanied the "Blood Brothers" video in 1995, which were cut during the January 1995 "Greatest Hits" sessions when he did a few new songs. Certainly worthy of being more easily available from that session is a scorching hard rock version of "Blood Brothers".

Some post 1980 b-sides that still havent been released on "tracks", "18 tracks" or "Essential" include the studio version of "held up without a gun" or "30 days out" (a very good 1992 b-side)

for unreleased outtakes its a bit harder as very little has circulated since the "born in the USA" sessions in 1982 - 84. However, Bruce recorded over 100 songs during the "River" sessions and about 80 for "BITUSA", so what was released during those two lengthy sessions were just the tip of the iceberg. In both cases, many of the leftovers were superior to what was on the released album (especially the case with BITUSA which could have been the best album he ever made but turned out to be one of his weakest - if the most commercial)

Dozens of songs from the 1977-84 period are on bootlegs such as the 19 volume "Lost Masters" series. Some gems worthy of release include "The Klansman", "Richfield Whistle", "Unsatisfied Heart", "Cindy", "The Way", "Dont Back Down", "Chain Lightning" , "Protection" (given to Donna Summer), "Drop on Down and Cover Me" (original and far superior version of "Cover me") and the fantastic 'Nebraska' outtake, "Losin' Kind". And thats just the stuff thats in circulation.

he's also cut a few unfinished albums in the 1990's from which next to nothing has ever circulated - especially the album he cut in 1993-94 with his 1992-93 touring band. There were also a few songs left off "Ghost of Tom joad" at the last minute which were copyrighted but never circulated, such as "Blind spot". He obviously thought at one time these songs were releasable.

the biggest crime of the lot is the fact that the greatest "leftover" song of his career still hasnt been released officially in its original version. He cut "The Promise" in 1977 during the early sessions for "Darkness on the edge of town" but left it off the album as supposedly it may have been interpreted as a song about his legal battles with his ex-manager Mike Appel that had stalled his recording career for two years. Its a terrific song, a sort of sequel to "Thunder road" and possibly one of the best 5 songs he ever recorded. When the 4-CD boxed set "Tracks" came out in 1998, most Springsteen fans would have probably had that one as their safest bet for inclusion but he didnt release it. Instead when he released the "18 Tracks" condensed version a few months later, which included 3 songs left off the boxed set he DID release it, but instead did a new version which wasnt a patch on the original. Theres two 1977 recordings of this song available on bootleg and they're fantastic. Any other songwriter would have built a career around a song as good as this.
02-16-04 02:56 PM
jb My favorite Springsteen songs(I have seen the "Boss" in concert over 10 times beginning in 1980 at the Jacksonville coliseum on "The River" tour).
1)The River
2)Candy's Room
3)Johnny 99
4)Nebraska
5)State Trooper
6)Thunder Road
7)Promised land
8)Born to Run
9)Darkness on the edge of town
10)Down Bound Train
11)Philadelphia
12)Tunnel Of Love
13)Badlands
14)Adam raised a Cain
15)Darlington County
16)Born in the USA
17)Prove it all night
18)Meeting across the river
19)Jungleland
20)Lucky Town
02-16-04 05:31 PM
Gazza here's mine ...for what its worth (this week anyway)

(have to limit it to exclude live versions on bootlegs!)

1. Jungleland
2. New York City Serenade
3. I Wish I Were Blind
4. Backstreets
5. No Surrender
6. The Promise (unreleased version)
7. Incident on 57th Street
8. This Hard Land ("Tracks" version)
9. Stolen Car ("Tracks" version)
10. When You're Alone
11. Kitty's Back
12. World's Apart
13. Drive All Night
14. Blood Brothers (rock version from the promo CD)
15. Thundercrack
16. Tougher Than The Rest (Live B-side)
17. Frankie
18. Shut Out The Light
19. Atlantic City (live version from "Live in NYC")
20. The Promised Land

Good selection,Josh but maybe we like our Bruce's a bit different! Weird thing is, only about half of mine are on regular studio albums - the rest are b-sides or songs that were on the "Tracks" boxed set etc.

[Edited by Gazza]

BEST VIEWED HIGH