ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Absolutely Live - Interview by Dick Cavett
ABC TV-Studios NYC - August 11, 1972
© 1972 Annie Leibovitz

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Valentines Day Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-13-04 12:29 PM
throbby hope this helps

From Pleased To Meet You, photo by Michael Putland
02-13-04 12:39 PM
parmeda
quote:
throbby wrote:
hope this helps

Helps?
My dear...my heart is aflutter
02-13-04 12:50 PM
mac_daddy there is alot more where that came from...

we could post a pic a day, and not be done, or repeat ourselves, for over a year...

it looks like Throbby has opened up his copy again - good luck getting any work done today, T.
02-13-04 12:52 PM
caro
quote:
throbby wrote:
hope this helps

I...ah well...yes.

By the way, am I the only one who noticed you had something quite jaggeresque about you (at least in the pics you posted)? I hope you take advantage of it!
02-13-04 12:53 PM
telecaster http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-val13.html

Happy St. Valentines Day Massacre
02-13-04 01:08 PM
Pattie
*makes strange noises*
02-13-04 02:26 PM
mac_daddy that pic was at Wembley 73, right..?

who is the kid Mick and Keith are hanging with during that soundcheck. Those are some cute pics, too.
02-13-04 02:28 PM
nankerphelge Happy V-day to all my lil RO buddies and buddettes!
02-13-04 02:33 PM
Pattie
*blows kisses to Nanky*

02-13-04 08:19 PM
throbby mac_daddy wrote:
who is the kid Mick and Keith are hanging with during that soundcheck. Those are some cute pics, too.

That would be Keith's son Marlon.
02-13-04 08:23 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
throbby wrote:
mac_daddy wrote:

That would be Keith's son Marlon.

thanks for the info - I was thrown by the blonde hair...
02-13-04 08:56 PM
nankerphelge
In ancient Rome, February 14th was a holiday in honor of Juno. Juno was the Queen of the Roman Gods and was also known as the Goddess of women and marriage. The following day, February 15th, began the Feast of Lupercalia -- the feast of heathen god (cool)!!

In Rome, the lives of boys and girls were strictly separate. But, on the eve of the festival of Lupercalia the names of Roman girls were written on slips of paper and placed into jars. Each young man would draw a girl's name from the jar and would then be partners for the duration of the festival with the girl whom he chose. If there were more boys than girls, sheep were sometimes used. (Okay I made that up -- dare to dream) Sometimes the children would fall in love and would later marry.

Under the rule of Emperor Claudius II, Rome was involved in many bloody and unpopular campaigns. Claudius "the Cruel" was having a bitch of a time getting soldiers to join his military leagues to go forth and pillage. He believed that roman men were major wussies and did not want to leave their loves or families. As a result, Claudius cancelled all marriages and engagements in Rome.

But, the good Saint Valentine was a priest at Rome in the days of Claudius the Cruel. He and Saint Marius aided the Christian martyrs and secretly married couples -- even gay couples in some of the more liberal provinces -- (okay I made that up too).

For this kind deed Saint Valentine was apprehended and dragged before the Prefect of Rome, who condemned him to be beaten to death with clubs and to have his head cut off.

This is no bullshit -- he suffered martyrdom on the 14th day of February, about the year 270 because of a guy called a "Prefect"!

The pastors of the early Christian Church in Rome endeavored to do away with the pagan element(ain't that just like the church)in these feasts by substituting the names of saints for those of maidens. And as the Lupercalia began about the middle of February, the pastors appear to have chosen Saint Valentine's Day for the celebration of this new feast. So it seems that the custom of young men choosing maidens for valentines, or saints as patrons for the coming year, arose in this way.

[Adapted from the History of Saint Valentine's Day]
02-13-04 09:04 PM
LadyJane OMG!!!

It was worth the wait!!

Thank you throbby...keep these photos coming!!

Happy V Day everyone!!

LJ.
02-13-04 09:19 PM
throbby Professor Nank, quite enlightening. Beaten with clubs, head chopped off, those Romans. Not a happy day for St. Valentine.
02-13-04 09:22 PM
nankerphelge Yeah, what a bad day huh?

Hope no one at RO gets clubbed or beheaded this evening!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
02-13-04 10:41 PM
Lazy Bones "This ain't a show, it's a party." - Bob Weir, 14th February, 1970 - from the Dead's, Dick's Picks Vol. 4. Since I bought this release, it's the one set I always listen to on Valentine's Day. Great show!
02-14-04 05:02 AM
luxury1 Happy VD All!!

I am not overly romantic, but I am excited as hell to cop some No Doubt/Blink 182 tix for myself and kids later this morning. They will have a most pleasurable V-Day.

And Caro--yes, throbby has some very Jaggeresque qualities to him. They began calling him Mick in Jr. High (I went to school with him). And then when he broke out with the platform shoes and wide bell bottoms on Away Game Days (he even played on the high school football team), well, it got only worse............
Sorry, throbby, I couldnt resist.
02-14-04 08:06 AM
throbby Thanks Luxury!

Nothing like a little embarrassment on a Saturday morning.

So many years ago!
02-14-04 08:08 AM
egon any single women out there that have nothing to do tonight?

I'll be here...waiting...by the phone....alone...
02-14-04 08:11 AM
Moonisup the door got stuck under the huge amount of cards I got!
02-14-04 08:16 AM
egon your mother is still worried about you huh?
02-14-04 08:57 AM
Moonisup
quote:
egon wrote:
your mother is still worried about you huh?

no no no!!
02-14-04 01:12 PM
sammy davis jr. "I love you more than I love myself.... well almost"
JB
02-14-04 01:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot Valentines Day is one of those stupid "Hallmark" holidays. It is my belief that this "holiday" to celebrate "romance" is hogwash....nothing more than an excuse for greeting card companies to make zillions, and FTD and Hershey to raise their prices for a few days.

Last week, I could buy red roses for 11.99/dozen. Yesterday, it was 25.00. On Monday they'll be $11.99/dozen again. I avoided the over priced "heart" packages of chocolates ($7.99 for 4.5 oz) and bought a regular box of the same chocolates (16 oz) for $3.99. Almost 4x the amount of chocolate for half the price.

I'm a sucker none the less. I bought my wife stuff, I bought my kid stuff....and guess what! My kid gave me a card that he made me in school. That's it. No card from the wife...no nothin'. I buy her a fucking $250.00 blue topaz pinky ring...and I don't even get a card...nary a blow job even!

Fuck her. I'm going to the liquor store and get me some whiskey...then I'm gettin fucked up. And just to make myself feel better...I'm gonna buy one of those nifty Bob Dylan motorcycle jackets from Bob's store. That'll teach her.
02-14-04 02:04 PM
Angiegirl Whahaha, SS, poor you! I didn't even know it was VD until I saw this thread . I think it's a much bigger holiday over there than here in Europe, like Halloween, but it has taken off the last few years over here too. I just read in the news that the roses are sold out everywhere, and the Hallmark cards are very popular as well. Ah, why join such a stupid prefabricated thought? There are better, spontaneous moments for affection is my opinion.
02-14-04 02:38 PM
gypsy Your wife's a selfish bitch. I've been telling you to leave her for me for years now.
02-14-04 04:41 PM
LadyJane
quote:
throbby wrote:
Thanks Luxury!

Nothing like a little embarrassment on a Saturday morning.

So many years ago!

It's a compliment, throbby!!

At least (or I hope not) you weren't subjected to what we did to my girlfriend's younger brother. He REALLY looked like Mick...right down to the lips. One night he wanted to hang with us "older" (by 1 year) chicks...so we let him...only after we did his face with mascara, eyeliner, a little blue eye shadow and a touch of lip gloss. I have the pics to prove it and we'll NEVER let him forget it. He now teaches Eighth Grade. I recently threatened to "expose" him to his students!!

He threatened to kill me!! Imagine that???

LJ.

SS...see what happens when you DON'T marry a Stones chick!!

[Edited by LadyJane]
02-14-04 04:56 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, well, you know.

I guess she felt guilty...so she went out and bought me a gift. A thingy that clips onto a belt to hold a cell phone.

Oh joy.

How romantic.

Doesn't she know that a Best Buy or Barnes & Noble gift card is what you get someone like me?

I'm still gonna buy that Bob Dylan motorcycle jacket....and clip my damn cell phone onto the belt!
02-14-04 05:06 PM
throbby Hey LJ! No, never subjected to that. Just hearing my drunken high school football team mate loudly bellowing "Hey Mick" at the reunion was enough to bring the color to my face.

SS! Maybe she's afraid you'd fill up the entire house with your music collection if given a little encouragement.
[Edited by throbby]
02-14-04 05:35 PM
gypsy You can usually get those little clippy things free, SS.
I'm sorry you married a selfish cheapskate.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH