ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image and watch the show!
© Marcelo Sayao/ZUMA with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Astoria 2003 Return to archive
February 16th, 2006 02:41 PM
Honky Tonk Man I'm listening to this show right now and not only is it a wonderful performance by the boys, but it's a great sounding boot too. I know there are two versions that were circulated, but am I right in thinking that the latter was recorded fro behind the stage? That might explain why it's probably the best sounding recorded Licks show. I know the Palais Royale show circulated as a soundboard, but this London show sounds terrific
February 16th, 2006 02:43 PM
Maxlugar Gimmee! Gimmee!
February 16th, 2006 02:52 PM
Lazy Bones Indeed, Astoria was a great show. Once you're finished listening to that show, try one of my Euro favourites - Circus Krone (Munich).

Here's a suggestion, DO NOT look at the setlist. Just put it on and be amazed that that many truely live classics can be arranged into one show!

You're welcome.....
February 16th, 2006 03:11 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:
Indeed, Astoria was a great show. Once you're finished listening to that show, try one of my Euro favourites - Circus Krone (Munich).
You're welcome.....

The Circus Krone was a great, great show. It's just a shame that a nice clear sounding recording of it isn't out there.

Yes I am welcome. Thanks for reminding me. I only came across The Astoria show while I was rooting through my box of Stones boots. I'd never of thought to stick it on otherwise.

Actually, The Circus Krone show has the DEFINITIVE performance of The Nearness Of You. Every other attempt paled in comparison.
February 16th, 2006 03:13 PM
Gazza A few people seemed to think the Astoria concert wasnt that good..I guess they were spoiled by seeing so many theatre shows

As someone who was there, I can assure you that it was an astounding show

Although the one at Wembley two nights later was the greatest Stones show I've ever seen
[Edited by Gazza]
February 16th, 2006 03:14 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
Gazza wrote:

As someone who was there, I can assure you that it was an astounding show

Mongo!

Super fine!
February 16th, 2006 03:20 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Although the one at Wembley two nights later was the greatest Stones show I've ever seen

Oh wow! What an honour it is to know you were in attendance at the greatest Stones show Gazza has ever seen! ;D

Actually, that Wembley show was fucking brilliant. I'm very glad that I snapped up tickets for it through the fan club. Of course I originally intended to get Astoria tickets, but they went bloody quickly. Getting the Wembley arena tickets this way was ablessing though. They sold out EXTREMLY quickly in the public sale.
February 16th, 2006 03:30 PM
Maxlugar GIMME!!!!! GIMME!!!!!
February 16th, 2006 03:35 PM
Joey " GIMME!!!!! GIMME!!!!! "

February 16th, 2006 03:59 PM
Phog I always enjoyed the Astoria boots. Never understood why anyone would think that it wasn't a good show, but I do remember some complaining at the time.

Cirkus Stockholm is another good one.
February 16th, 2006 04:10 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Phog wrote:
I always enjoyed the Astoria boots. Never understood why anyone would think that it wasn't a good show, but I do remember some complaining at the time.

Yeah, there were a few complaints about it. Maybe I'm a little blinded by the boots great sound, but with the exception of a couple of the United States theatre shows, I really don't see how any of the other Licks theatre performances are any better.

I agree about the Cirkus Stockholm gig. If I'm not mistaken, that has a blinding encore performance of Sympathy For The Devil. I've always felt that Keith was poor on this number during that tour, but he was did great during this particular rendition.
February 16th, 2006 04:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
Phog wrote:
I always enjoyed the Astoria boots. Never understood why anyone would think that it wasn't a good show, but I do remember some complaining at the time.

word got around that Mick was struggling with his voice, and before you knew it it had escalated into "he lost his voice really badly by the end of the show".

Absolute cock.
February 16th, 2006 04:25 PM
kahoosier I was there and it was fabulous at the Astoria. I think another reason there is so much distraction is that so many were there awaiting the great Mick Taylor reunion miracle. The failure of that second coming tainted opinions. Aamzing that ever since then we have about a zillion rumours as to why it did not happen and no one can even agree on when he left the venue. All that anyone agrees on is that their version is the one and only true one.

And I agree with you Gazza, the Wembely arena show two nights later was just beyond anything we should have expected. Now if I only had a boot of that that had great sound! LOL so Gazza, are we going to repeat the UK experience this time you think? I alreday have Wembley 1 and 2 and Glasgow tickets hoping for the best!
February 16th, 2006 04:38 PM
Dan I didn't particularly care for the boot I have because I can hear Bernard singing louder than Mick. Almost like co lead vocals.
February 16th, 2006 04:56 PM
Gazza
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
I alreday have Wembley 1 and 2 and Glasgow tickets hoping for the best!

I'll be at all 3 of those and in the front 5 rows for all of them.

You shall be greeted!
February 16th, 2006 04:58 PM
glencar
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
GIMME!!!!! GIMME!!!!!

PM me if you wanna copy. Although I shall be away on the slopes starting tonight at 8PM. Please highly any Joey bashing posts that you make in my absence.
February 16th, 2006 05:03 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'll be at all 3 of those and in the front 5 rows for all of them.

You shall be greeted!

I'll be at the first Wembley show and I'll be relying heavily on you and Kahoosier to greet me, as stewed & Keefed and so many others seem to have opted for the second show! I'm still kicking myself. I had great seats, but the gambler in me reared its ugly head and I ended up loosing them and had to settle for £90 tickets in the upper tier! Are there any good seats that high up? I'm just hoping I'm not at the opposite end to where the Stones are. As long as I'm near the stage or to the side of it, I'll be satisfied!
February 16th, 2006 05:44 PM
Gazza Alex, I may be able to help you with extra pitch seats for the 2nd night if you want them (Block C)

Cant guess on what upper tier seats would be like as the stadium isnt built yet!
[Edited by Gazza]
February 16th, 2006 06:25 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Alex, I may be able to help you with extra pitch seats for the 2nd night if you want them (Block C)
[Edited by Gazza]

I've sent you an e-mail
February 16th, 2006 06:37 PM
Soldatti What about the Paris club show?
Best setlist ever IMO!
February 16th, 2006 06:43 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
What about the Paris club show?
Best setlist ever IMO!

I watched that show on the 4 Flicks DVD this morning. It’s a bloody fantastic show! I have to agree with you. I can't think of many better set-lists, certainly not one with so much variety anyway. I think the United States theatre shows maybe just EDGE the Olympia. Perhaps the ones with Sad Sad Sad and Parachute Woman?
February 16th, 2006 08:11 PM
Maxlugar Does anyone have an audio boot of that Paris show?

Best show I've seen of them in years.
February 16th, 2006 08:17 PM
Gazza I have an audio audience recording of the full show (it was treed here in 2003, surely?) and an audio-rip of the Four Flicks version

Mail me and let me know what you need
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)