ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Click the image and watch the show!
© Marcelo Sayao/ZUMA with special thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 100 Years Ago Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
February 16th, 2006 03:30 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

The audience didn't have a clue what it was when they played it back in '73

True, but it was a good version.
Chuck could do Billy's keyboard part.
Who had heard of The Worst, or She's So Cold, for that matter.
February 16th, 2006 03:40 PM
texile
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

when did they say that it sucked?
I know what you mean.
Dirty Work through VL sucked.

the stones themselves never said that - but when i first started reading about the stones, there was a general consensus among the rock journalist elite that the 70s stones sucked - which is funny now because people seem to love that period now.
you might be too young to remember but this really was the view among some hard-asses.
February 16th, 2006 03:41 PM
ebmp I can´t understand this.. 70´s Stones is their best phase in my opinion
February 16th, 2006 03:41 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Yep..and the shocking thing is that the album its from is the 3rd biggest selling studio album of their career behind Tattoo You and Some Girls. No doubt Soldatti would have proper sales figures, but its sold probably in excess of 7 million copies

Makes you wonder what kind of people make up the majority of people in a Stones audience in 2005-2006 that they dont know a song from such a popular album (it merely enhances my theory that the reason why the shows are increasingly a 'greatest hits' set on this tour is because more and more of the audience are 'corporate' "fans" who own "40 Licks" and very little else)

The Stones are pretty unique among long-standing big-name acts whose fans know so little of their music. I cant imagine Springsteen playing any song off "Born to run" or "The River", for example, and 90-95% of his audience not recognising it.

Yep, no matter how popular an album of theirs is, its still the bigger hits 90-95% of the crowd recognize. You'd think they'd be safe to do ANYTHING off Sticky Fingers, but when I saw them do CYHMK in 2002 and Sway in 2005, the audience reaction SHOCKED me. When a band does a gereat version of a classic song, you expect some kind of reaction / appriciation, not sitting on your ass and blabbing on your cell phone.
February 16th, 2006 03:43 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
texile wrote:

the stones themselves never said that - but when i first started reading about the stones, there was a general consensus among the rock journalist elite that the 70s stones sucked - which is funny now because people seem to love that period now.
you might be too young to remember but this really was the view among some hard-asses.

strange indeed, IORR & Black & Blue are brilliant IMHO, I like to listen to them a lot.
GHS is definitely underrated too, for me its quite experimental.
February 16th, 2006 03:46 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

strange indeed, IORR & Black & Blue are brilliant IMHO, I like to listen to them a lot.

GHS is quite experimental in some areas, "Can You Hear The Music" is like a funky version of Satanic Majesties era Stones.
February 16th, 2006 03:49 PM
Honky Tonk Man A good talking point when discussing the Stones digging out album material should be the "album theme" they did at the arena shows on the Licks tour. They always played the same 3 or 4 tracks from the particular album at every show. Maybe I'm imagining this, but what made it worse was when they’d do an Exile On Main Street theme and play a song off it like Tumbling Dice as part of that set, a song they perform every bloody night anyway! In hindsight, the album theme idea was brilliant, but in my opinion, they let themselves down with it. Yeah, it was great at every show, but if they'd mixed it up a little, boy it could've been so much better. It was a truly missed opportunity, yet, one of the best ideas the Stones had in a LONG time.
February 16th, 2006 03:53 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
A good talking point when discussing the Stones digging out album material should be the "album theme" they did at the arena shows on the Licks tour. They always played the same 3 or 4 tracks from the particular album at every show. Maybe I'm imagining this, but what made it worse was when they’d do an Exile On Main Street theme and play a song off it like Tumbling Dice as part of that set, a song they perform every bloody night anyway! In hindsight, the album theme idea was brilliant, but in my opinion, they let themselves down with it. Yeah, it was great at every show, but if they'd mixed it up a little, boy it could've been so much better. It was a truly missed opportunity, yet, one of the best ideas the Stones had in a LONG time.

It was a good idea I wish they would have kept, I saw the 2002 Columbus show and it was a Beggar's Banquet night, good show, crappy audience!!
February 16th, 2006 04:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Yep, no matter how popular an album of theirs is, its still the bigger hits 90-95% of the crowd recognize.

this was not the case prior to 2002 (for stadium shows anyway, the arena and theatre shows on that tour were aimed more at the type of people who buy Rolling Stones albums)

Even in the late 90's, it was not uncommon to hear stuff like Sister Morphine, Memory Motel etc in stadiums

same with all previous tours

Can you imagine hearing those songs or Factory Girl, Shine A Light, No Expectations or Let it Bleed in a stadium in 2006? I cant. And neither can an audience, at least 60% of whom have paid $454 plus charges to hear an edited live version of 40 Licks.

The Stones should have the balls to play what the fuck they like and not be a jukebox for people who are too lazy and cheap to buy their records. They've earned the right to do so, but it wont happen anymore because the show is targetted to an affluent but 'casual' audience

February 16th, 2006 04:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
A good talking point when discussing the Stones digging out album material should be the "album theme" they did at the arena shows on the Licks tour. They always played the same 3 or 4 tracks from the particular album at every show. Maybe I'm imagining this, but what made it worse was when they’d do an Exile On Main Street theme and play a song off it like Tumbling Dice as part of that set, a song they perform every bloody night anyway! In hindsight, the album theme idea was brilliant, but in my opinion, they let themselves down with it. Yeah, it was great at every show, but if they'd mixed it up a little, boy it could've been so much better. It was a truly missed opportunity, yet, one of the best ideas the Stones had in a LONG time.

the idea was brilliant but flawed for the reason you've stated. Plus the fact that in most (probably 90% of) cases, they stuck to Exile, Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed. I think there was maybe one "Tattoo You" night and a tiny number of "Beggars Banquets" or "Some Girls" - where they generally kept to the really well known stuff just to be safe.

The "Dirty Work" night would have been a blast!
February 16th, 2006 04:13 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:

Its an album I've certainly appreciated more with age. Its not helped by the fact that originally the sound on it is so muddy (its the worst mix on ANY Stones record). The Mickboy remaster and the Virgin re-issue certainly improved things though

"Winter" is such a gorgeous song that deserves to be better known. Whilst everyone justly raves about Taylor's guitar playing on it, the string arrangement is often overlooked. It's wonderful.
[Edited by Gazza]
February 16th, 2006 04:18 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Its an album I've certainly appreciated more with age. Its not helped by the fact that originally the sound on it is so muddy (its the worst mix on ANY Stones record). The Mickboy remaster and the Virgin re-issue certainly improved things though

"Winter" is such a gorgeous song that deserves to be better known. Whilst everyone justly raves about Taylor's guitar playing on it, the string arrangement is often overlooked. It's wonderful.
[Edited by Gazza]

Indeed. Funnily enough, there is an error in production near the end of the song; the tape skips a bit, (unless its my copy!!!)

I'm loving Coming Down Again more and more now; its the perfect mellow song for before you go to bed.
February 16th, 2006 04:19 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

the idea was brilliant but flawed for the reason you've stated. Plus the fact that in most (probably 90% of) cases, they stuck to Exile, Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed. I think there was maybe one "Tattoo You" night and a tiny number of "Beggars Banquets" or "Some Girls" - where they generally kept to the really well known stuff just to be safe.

I think there was only ONE Some Girls theme at the beginning of the United States leg and I have to admit, I wasn't even aware that they attempted a Tattoo You one. Wow, how did that go? Let me guess... Start Me Up, Worried About You and Waiting On A Friend? One of those numbers, they performed every night, another sporadically and the third, well, okay, I think Waiting On A Friend was only played the once! Oh wait! Or was Neighbours the third song in the theme that night? God, that’s even worse then! That song was played plenty of times!
February 16th, 2006 04:22 PM
speedfreakjive Still, its makes the gig more interesting I think.
its not warhorse central that WAY!!
February 16th, 2006 04:23 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Gazza wrote:

It would have been a riot indeed. To be honest, when I saw them do One Hit To The Body in 1989, it was pretty good live.
February 16th, 2006 04:33 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
When a band does a gereat version of a classic song, you expect some kind of reaction / appriciation, not sitting on your ass and blabbing on your cell phone.

Just imagine when they performed Rough Justice at the Superbowl, how many people turned to the person beside them and asked which album "that" was on.
February 16th, 2006 04:35 PM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I think there was only ONE Some Girls theme at the beginning of the United States leg and I have to admit, I wasn't even aware that they attempted a Tattoo You one. Wow, how did that go? Let me guess... Start Me Up, Worried About You and Waiting On A Friend? One of those numbers, they performed every night, another sporadically and the third, well, okay, I think Waiting On A Friend was only played the once! Oh wait! Or was Neighbours the third song in the theme that night? God, that’s even worse then! That song was played plenty of times!

Ok..I looked it up...Chicago 22.1.03 they did Waiting On A Friend, Neighbours, Start Me Up back to back..a "mini" Tattoo You night

Seems that I was mistaken about a Some Girls theme. I dont see any.

Columbus 20/10/02 got a "Beggars Banquet" 4-song theme.. No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, SF Man and Sympathy

Boston 12/1/03 got a 3-song BB set - with SF Man missing, although it was played later in the show

the rest of the themes used in arena shows were for Exile, Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed. They reduced in length as the tour went on and the setlists in general got shorter.
February 16th, 2006 04:37 PM
speedfreakjive I have a feeling that they will bring more variety for Europe, after all, we are a cultured bunch!
February 16th, 2006 04:41 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Gazza wrote:
"Winter" is such a gorgeous song that deserves to be better known.

One of my greatest Stones memories is the first night (26-Jul-02, it was Mick's bday and we all sang happy birthday as he appeared from the Masonic Temple) I drove to Toronto to hear, see, photograph them at rehearsals.

When I arrived, WINTER was the first song they rehearsed - audible, too! Later that night, they rehearsed it a 2nd time.

I'll never forget it!
February 16th, 2006 04:45 PM
speedfreakjive I thought Winter had never been played?
February 16th, 2006 04:52 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
I thought Winter had never been played?

It hasnt. Read it again!
February 16th, 2006 04:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
I have a feeling that they will bring more variety for Europe, after all, we are a cultured bunch!

I have a feeling that, while you may be right on the second point ( ) you are wrong on the first

The entire European tour will be in stadiums. They're less likely to take chances in front of 70,000 people than they will in front of 20,000 or 2,000 people
February 16th, 2006 04:55 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I found it!

10-09-02, United Centre, Chicago.

They performed Far Away Eyes, Shatterd and When The Whip Comes Down.
February 16th, 2006 05:02 PM
glencar Giants Stadium they did a few Some Girls songs.
February 16th, 2006 05:06 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Giants Stadium they did a few Some Girls songs.

I was there. I remember Miss You on the b-sage, but I can't recall anything else from the album.
February 16th, 2006 05:07 PM
glencar Whip was also on the B-stage. I had thought there was more but only SMU was also done that night. So: no theme there.
February 16th, 2006 06:30 PM
texile
quote:
Gazza wrote:

[Edited by Gazza]

absolutely - its hard to hear - but that solo break has one of the best piano and string arrangements ever...even more beautiful than moonlight mile, but you have to listen closely.
February 16th, 2006 06:36 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Whip was also on the B-stage. I had thought there was more but only SMU was also done that night. So: no theme there.

yep..I was there that night (as was HTM) and as I remembered it, the b-stage was all "Some Girls" songs. When I looked it up, my memory was playing tricks me as the first b-stage song was our old favourite "You got me rocking"
February 16th, 2006 10:02 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I have a feeling that, while you may be right on the second point ( ) you are wrong on the first

The entire European tour will be in stadiums. They're less likely to take chances in front of 70,000 people than they will in front of 20,000 or 2,000 people

i see what you mean, but then, the arena gigs brought us 'Themed' bits, and they can be large. They took chances for 'Licks' tour, but, one could consider Sway to be a risk, even Love Is Strong, The Worst could be considered 'risks', would you consider Star Star to be more of a risk than Sway?

ALso, won't they get bored with the same setlists? Maybe we are just looking at a change in the running-order.
February 17th, 2006 07:08 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Ok..I looked it up...Chicago 22.1.03 they did Waiting On A Friend, Neighbours, Start Me Up back to back..a "mini" Tattoo You night

Columbus 20/10/02 got a "Beggars Banquet" 4-song theme.. No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues, SF Man and Sympathy

Boston 12/1/03 got a 3-song BB set - with SF Man missing, although it was played later in the show

the rest of the themes used in arena shows were for Exile, Sticky Fingers or Let It Bleed. They reduced in length as the tour went on and the setlists in general got shorter.

I saw that Columbus show, No Expectations was the highlight for me that night, woody did a great job and the steel guitar, Stray Cat Blues rocked, Mick changed a lyric to "I can see you're just 14 years old".
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)