ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Youngs at the Enmore Theatre, Sydney - February 18, 2003
With thanks to Kate (Exile's sister) - More here
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sad song it's all i know Return to archive
02-15-03 04:54 PM
Mannish Bwoy Could anyone tell me on wich bootleg i could find the Stones version of FaFaFa Sad song it's all i know?
Thanks,
Mannish Bwoy
02-15-03 06:33 PM
Fiji Joe Yes...I would like to know that too...love the Otis redding take...well, it's his song
02-15-03 06:43 PM
Phog I don't think they ever played this tune. I have an old

viynl boot entitiled "Sad Songs Is All I Know" from Frisco

'75. In between "Angie" and "Wild Horses" Jagger mumbles a

line from the Otis tune, just as a segue. I've heard that

some boots actually have Jagger's segue listed as an in-

dividual track. Too bad, 'cause I love it when the Stones

cover the mighty Otis Redding. Another case of a dishonest

bootlegger I bet.
02-15-03 07:48 PM
lonecrapshooter just received Otis Redding's Very Best Of from my wife as V-day gift which has Otis's cover of Satisfaction.

according to Felix Aeppli's book Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song) was not recorded by the Stones.

Also found this on:

www.timeisonourside.com

OTIS REDDING (1941-1967)

In his relatively few years of recording and performing, Georgia-born Otis Redding carved out a legend as the greatest soul singer of all time. The Stones greatly admired Redding, like Pickett and Burke, and often turned to cover his songs in the period 1964-65. His Pain in My Heart was their first stab at a song of his on The Rolling Stones Now!, but they beat that effort with a terrific version of That's How Strong My Love Is on 1965's Out of Our Heads. They also recorded a version of I've Been Loving You Too Long, which they stuck on their Got Live If You Want It! as a fake live track in 1966, overdubbed with audience screams. Redding returned the favor by recording a cover of Satisfaction. He died in a plane crash.

Otis('s death), man. I mean, that one killed soul music.

- Keith Richards, 1981

[Edited by lonecrapshooter]
02-16-03 01:51 AM
Fiji Joe Right Phog...I've heard some of the lyric of this song spattered about in some of the Stones' shows, but never the whole song...

Also, I think the Stones were really trying to borrow from Otis' rendition of Satisfaction at the 71 Leeds show...very similar arrangement
02-16-03 03:03 AM
marko it was never a complete,jagger just sang lyrics fa fa fa fa
about half a minute,that is,,,if you wanna have shows
heres where it was done
7-12-75 Los Angeles
7-24-75 Chicago
8-8-75 Buffalo

2 last ones are nice ones.I have La 7-12-75 about 65mins in
EX quality,but this is the 1st part of the show.Complete
version of the show is only vg-.
02-16-03 03:11 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Right Phog...I've heard some of the lyric of this song spattered about in some of the Stones' shows, but never the whole song...

Also, I think the Stones were really trying to borrow from Otis' rendition of Satisfaction at the 71 Leeds show...very similar arrangement

Not just Leeds Fij', check out Satisfaction style on The Gimme Shelter video. I don't know whether that's at The Garden, or The Collesium. Redding obviously influenced the way they played that tune for quite awhile.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST