ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Youngs at the Enmore Theatre, Sydney - February 18, 2003
With thanks to Kate (Exile's sister) - More here
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Thoughts on Heartbreaker Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-13-03 12:51 PM
100 Years Ago It seems Doo Doo Doo has become a forgotten Stones songs, it was hit single, a regular part of the 75-76 tour. But sparingly since, it wasn't even included on 40 Licks. Just curious of other's thoughts on the song...
02-13-03 12:58 PM
Nellcote Excellent cut, one of my early 70's favorites! Probably considered a mid level song, not quite Start Me Up, not quite We Love You, somewhere in the middle, I would think.
A super organ riff by one B. Preston. Is this Goats Head Resurgence Week, as Star Star was discussed here earlier this week?
02-13-03 01:37 PM
jb Did a weak version on VL tour......the versions on Brussels and LA-Friday are fabulous...
02-13-03 01:44 PM
Maxlugar Yes Josh, LA '75 has a SMOKING break in the middle.

One of the most heart pounding Stones moments I've ever heard.

1975 was the best tour.

The Brussles version, which, if I remember what Mathy was telling us, was really Wembley, shows Mick Taylor playing incedibly fast and precise. Sounds like Alvin Lee on I'd Love to Change the World (or whatever that song is called).

Josh, I'm sorry for that post back in '99.

MACKY!
02-13-03 01:47 PM
jb You unburied that post up similar to what they are now doing to Jimmy Hendrix....
[Edited by jb]
02-13-03 01:53 PM
woodywoodpecker yes, well we know they can pull it off live as they did a few years back. Although they are mixing it up this tour I would'nt expect to hear it.

Parachute Woman, now there's one they have played this tour but not very much, which also sounds great.
02-13-03 03:27 PM
doo doo doo Dude ahhh...my beloved namesake song. I was very upset to see it not make the cut on 40 Licks but did have the fortune of hearing them play live on the VL tour.

As stated above, nothing can compare to the majesty of the Brussels version with Keith's maniacal rhythmn and Taylor's mind-shattering solos. Puts the studio version to shame (which ain't easy).
02-13-03 04:15 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Awesome song, but I think the chances of them even thinking of playing it are probably close to zero. Why?

It's anti-police. And no one wants to be anti-police these days.

-tSYX --- In a case of mistaken identity, they put a bullet through his heart...
02-13-03 04:38 PM
Highwire Rob
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
Awesome song, but I think the chances of them even thinking of playing it are probably close to zero. Why?

It's anti-police. And no one wants to be anti-police these days.

-tSYX --- In a case of mistaken identity, they put a bullet through his heart...

tSYX, I totally concur with you; in fact I scrolled down to respond similarly.

Terrific groove to this track but lyrics like...

Heartbreaker, heartbreaker
I wanna tear your world apart.

...would not go over well in post 9/11 New York considering all that cops, firefighters, etc. endured. And perhaps it's safe to say that a Stones song (about NY city) that wouldn't go over well in NY City would be no more suitable for performance in any other (U.S.) city?

I still have this inkling of hope, however, that Mick and the boys will unleash Highwire overseas...

--Rob.
02-14-03 03:24 AM
Cant Catch Me What about that song Springsteen (not that I can stand him, since I simply CAN'T) did about the dude the cops shot in the stairwell in New York? Was that before or after 9/11, which seems like the date after which nobody wanted to dis' the cops?

Or Steve Earle, isn't his new album very critical of "the establishment?" I'm not sure whether that means the cops specifically or just the powers that be?

Anyway, I DIG Heartbreaker, definitely a neglected classic. Maybe the Stones see it as mid-level, but I'd rate it as higher ... but then again not a classic of the highest order, like BS, JJF, SFM, Gimme Shelter, Happy, Tumblin' Dice, etc.

I just wonder why "Time Waits For No One" isn't played more.
02-14-03 05:31 AM
dealer squealing Heartbreaker is a awsome song!
The opening riff is a killer and suits the backing vocals of Lisa And Bernard fine. Also i agree that the 1975 tour was the best one!
02-14-03 08:09 AM
Maxlugar I feel an incredible sense of dread today.

I feel danger.

Valentines day, red, blood.

You can not get me out of this city and into my basement bar fast enough today.

Passed a cop with a machine gun this morning.

Made me feel safer.

I wish he would walk me home.

MAXY!
02-14-03 08:14 AM
marko indeed 75 was best with 81-82(to me),,maxy,i hopy you have
Final new york-75?6-27-75 show,if not GET IT.before i get
you!I think that one has the best version of heartbreaker.
02-14-03 08:16 AM
ziggypayne Great song. Would love to get a GHS night with Angie, Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, Silver Train, and Starfucker. Probably won't happen though as the band doesn't seem too keen on the song.
02-14-03 08:42 AM
Maxlugar I don't have it Marko!

Can you make me a copy?

Does it sound good? On par with LA '75? Or better?

I'd love to go home and put NY '75 on.

If I make it home.....

Developing......
02-14-03 08:49 AM
marko Ofcourse macky,you need it.Its more or less the same quality
as La-friday!It has also cherry oh baby.
02-14-03 09:00 AM
rabact i really dig heartbreaker, but i heard it screwed a couple of times during love is strong tour. guess it's not that easy to make it sound perfect on stage, maybe that's why they dropped it for a while.
02-14-03 09:40 AM
jb It's far from anti-police...it's just a cool line....I think it's more pro-heroin.
02-14-03 09:54 AM
Nellcote I think the Stones should open Austraila with

HIGHWIRE! Show Saddam where to put it!
02-14-03 10:14 AM
Boomhauer GHS has been my favorite album for the last two weeks. It's great.
02-14-03 10:20 AM
jb Winter is a overlooked classic Stones ballad....and Silvertrain is another overlooked rocker.
02-14-03 10:24 AM
Nellcote Johnny Winter covered Silver Train.
Ever here the acousitc boot, with reggae inflections?
02-14-03 10:28 AM
jb No..as I told you, I listen to no other artists except the Stones....
02-14-03 10:36 AM
throbby Max, being a neophyte in the ways of sparkling wand humour, I'm wondering if indeed you truly are a fan of the '75 tour?

02-14-03 10:38 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I think the Stones should open Austraila with

HIGHWIRE! Show Saddam where to put it!

?????????????????????????????????????

I think the Stones should be playing Highwire, too, but I don't see how it "shows Saddam where to put it".

02-14-03 10:38 AM
jb 75 was Max's touring years....
02-14-03 10:43 AM
Nellcote JB, sorry, I'd never been advised of your music listening
preference. The acoustic, reggae cut is one of several cuts of Silver Train that are out in the esoteric world of ilicit recordings by the group you listen to.

Sorry, I've got Hans Blitz on the tube now, thus I've entered my "heavy description" mode. He's talking about the further adventures of Iraqi & Bullwinkle. Semi Colon Powell and the Iraqi chief chump are having a staring contest one seat from another, it's pretty tense
02-14-03 11:13 AM
Jumping Jack They should be playing Heartbreaker and Dancin' With Mr. D. Drop Start Me Up and Tumblin Dice to make room.
02-14-03 11:14 AM
jb Yes..like the 73 winter tour.....
02-14-03 11:43 AM
Maxlugar I think the '75 tour was flat out the best rock and roll the Stones ever did.

Ronnie was new and trying to prove himself.

Keith was totally on and having a ball.

Mick was a complete and utter maniac.

Charlie was on FIRE!

Bill was fantastic too.

Billy Preston added some great piano an very nice backing vocals.

Ollie Brown added a still missing element of percussion.

Then there's the Lotus Stage....

The confetti Spewing Dragon...

Mick swinging on a rope...

The set lists....

If not for the Cock Dance, there'd be nothng bad to say about this tour.

Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST