ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Youngs at the Enmore Theatre, Sydney - February 18, 2003
With thanks to Kate (Exile's sister) - More here
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Leeds Return to archive
02-10-03 06:18 PM
Fiji Joe A little help on this one...I was listening to the boot from an mp3 download and it doesn't sound like the whole show...but, the tracklist matches up with the boot artwork...i.e., 13 songs...there is no intro, no goodnight and the vibe I got is that there was more to this show...is this how the original boot is setup?...were there songs played that did not make the boot?
02-10-03 06:20 PM
Fiji Joe Well, nevermind, Nico's site confirms the setlist..great sounding show even from mp3
02-10-03 06:33 PM
throbby IMHO Let it Rock kicked ass that night. Did you like the way they did Satisfaction?
02-10-03 07:12 PM
Fiji Joe Yes and Yes...Great to hear a different take on Satisfaction than the standard take...Little Queenie also rocked
02-10-03 07:17 PM
Gazza Normal length for a show on that tour,so a full show

the recording comes from a radio broadcast by the BBC, which might explain the editing.... it was broadcast at the end of May 1971,some 11 weeks later. "let it rock" from this show,as many of you will know, appeared on the 3-track maxi-single released in the UK along with "Brown sugar" and "Bitch" (not on the US version)

It was an AM broadcast as BBC radio didnt convert to FM until about 15 years later so the original bootlegs would be from an AM source. A soundboard original source tape circulated later on,so I guess thats maybe the source for the upgraded versions
02-10-03 07:28 PM
Fiji Joe Thanks guys
02-10-03 07:35 PM
doo doo doo Dude This boot seems to begin in mid-set. Does anyone know if the first couple of tracks from this show (most likely Jumping Jack Flash and Live With Me) have ever surfaced?
02-10-03 07:49 PM
Nasty Habits I love the version of Brown Sugar on that set, with Bill's crazy dive bombing bass blow ups at the end. I also love Mick's little reluctant introduction to Bitch, "Here we go with a new one now, which . . . is called . . . Bitch." The "Go down on me baby" Midnight Rambler, the crazed lunatic yelling "Let It Rock! ANYTHING!" before the encore, the handclaps on "Dead Flowers", I love that show.
02-10-03 08:04 PM
Fiji Joe Yes Doo Doo...that's what I was thinking...It almost sounds as if someone messed with the order of the set list when compiling the boot...There is no way given the crowd's reaction before dead flowers and Mick's commentary before that song that they opened with Dead Flowers...
02-10-03 08:58 PM
doo doo doo Dude Exactly Feej. Dead Flowers was always the third song in the setlist during the '71 "Farewell Tour" of England, JJF opening the show followed by LWM and then DF. I imagine these two songs were never broadcast and that's why we have never heard them but it sure would satisfy the completist in me.

That said, I'm sure this boot would sound a lot more like Ya-Ya's had those songs been included and I think the boot starting off with DF makes it all the more unique.
02-10-03 09:42 PM
throbby As per Bill's new tome. The opening night of the UK '71 Farewell Tour in Newcastle The Stones played

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Live With Me
Dead Flowers
Stray Cat Blues
Love in Vain
Prodigal Son
Midnight Rambler
Bitch
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Wild Horses
Honky Tonk Woman
Satisfaction
Little Queenie
Brown Sugar
Street Fighting Man
encores
Sympathy For The Devil
Let It Rock

He says some songs were dropped at certain shows during the tour.

He also says that the Brighton, Liverpool, London, and Leeds shows were recorded live on 8 track with the Stones mobile studio. He says, and I quote, "A one hour tape of the Leeds show was presented to Radio One's John Peel for broadcast on 30 May."

It looks to me like we should be asking the Stones for the remainder of the Leeds show. They really should start cracking open the vaults a little.

[Edited by throbby]
02-10-03 09:50 PM
J.J.Flash Good to read your reviews about it guys! I love it so much too! The band was wild that day! Thanks guys!
02-11-03 02:39 AM
marko 2 firts songs were not broadcasted,,,another grazy broadcast
is London 7th of july,keiths 1st song,can�t be seen in
missing,,because it wasn�t broadcasted,,what a stupid idea
drop one song in the middle of the set!
02-11-03 04:16 AM
Mathijs The Stones played an entire set in leeds, so they opened with jumping Jack Flash and Live With Me. The set minus the first two songs have been broadcasted on the BBC on April 13, 1971 in AM (mono) quality. The old Swingin' Pig titles have been made from a recording of the broadcast. The original tape of the recording was sold during a Sotheby's auction in 1993, and the "Get You Leeds Lungs Out Revisited" title by The Swingin' Pig (but then actually Rattlesnake) was made of this original tape.

The complete Leeds show has been broadcasted on the 16th of May 1971, on the BBC "Dave Lee Travis Show". This show included JJF and Live With Me, but featured a cut lettle Queenie, Midnight Rambler and Satisfaction. Unfortunately, this tape circulates only in horrendous quality -the hiss is louder than the music.

Mathijs
----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review

URL: http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/
E-Mail: [email protected]

Bootlegs for Sale
The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
----------------------------------------------------------------
02-11-03 04:57 AM
gypsymofo60 Leeds is one of the best boots ever. I love that concert.
02-12-03 06:41 PM
Gazza Mathijs (and others) is right - yeah there were two extra songs at the start which werent broadcast..guess I wasnt checkin' the track listing - but we have all that was broadcast unfortunately. The upgraded version comes from a soundboard recording of the tape used for broadcast which had been in circulation for some time before the auction

I dont agree with Bill's assertion that "CYHMK" was played on the '71 tour. I stand to be corrected if necessary,but I've never seen it listed on any other authorative source. I know Bill should be a DEFINITIVE source but there ARE some mistakes in his otherwise excellent book re: setlists (eg he states that "Johnny B Goode" was played on the 1972 tour. Has anyone heard this??)
02-12-03 10:18 PM
Child of the Moon Hey, Feej, where did you find this show online? I'd love to have the songs missing from my personal collection (which is, essentially, everything but Let It Rock and Dead Flowers). Thanks in advance.
02-12-03 10:25 PM
CousinCocaine Are you shure that JJf and LWM really exists on tape?
I heard way back that the recording of those was spoiled.

On 73 and 76 Euro tours I worked on some dates as helping hand. I remember Essen 73 they recorded all 3 shows with the RS mobile and I had to help them with cables,etc.(they even had to break a hole into the hall!)Stu was supervisin but I remember the engineer tellin me that quite a few of their tapes had defects or some loss or breakdowns.
So who knows?!
CC
02-13-03 03:51 PM
ShannonDC I agree with Gazza about CYHMK. I don't think they've ever played it live before the Licks tour. I was listening to the CD from the Toronto warm-up show last night and Mick says "here's another one we've never done before" and they launch into CYHMK. Of course Mick could be wrong . . .

The Leeds show is one of my favorite boots ever, maybe my all-time favorite.
02-13-03 04:27 PM
throbby Isn't it funny how a huge band like the Stones can have such a lack of accurate information regarding set lists from earlier tours. Have you ever seen Luis Rey's book on Zeppelin detailing the concerts, setlists, all known tapes and their variations. Surely the Stones fan base can produce something similar. If there is such a book please let me know. If not, can one of you ring up Bill and ask him what the hell is going on?
02-13-03 04:29 PM
Fiji Joe Child of the Moon...I found it on WinMx a while back and forgot about it...I would be willing to send it to you... (PM me)...it is mp3 sourced you know...also, anyone else who has any mp3 souce boots and would like to make a mass swap let me know...you can usually fit about 5 or 6 albums o one disc...I find the mp3 sources are great while wou're waiting on getting the .wav file version...But as SS instructed me, I would never attempt to trade these by passing them off as wav file originals
02-13-03 06:02 PM
Gazza >I agree with Gazza about CYHMK. I don't think they've ever played it live before the Licks tour. I was listening to the CD from the Toronto warm-up show last night and Mick says "here's another one we've never done before" and they launch into CYHMK. Of course Mick could be wrong . . .

oh God,he's hopeless..I'm sure he has more important things to deal with than to remember rarely played songs from decades ago - thats for hopeless anal retentives like us.

I've heard him introduce "heartbreaker" on the VL tour as coming from Black & Blue or something, an album which doesnt even feature the same 5-man LINE UP as the album it IS on (GHS)

at shepherds bush he said theyd never played "Melody" before (They had - at El Mocambo in 1977) and at Palais Royale he said theyd never played Torn & Frayed before (played once in 1972). On Flashpoint (at a show recorded at Wembley in 1990) he even asks Bill what album "Factory Girl" was on...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST