ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

With the Youngs at the Enmore Theatre, Sydney - February 18, 2003
With thanks to Kate (Exile's sister) - More here
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Politics Of Leah Wood. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
02-05-03 08:03 PM
Fiji Joe Icy...does your father know you've been into his glue again?

And that's not an insult, just having a real hard time deciphering the cryptic message you posted...it looks a bit like you inserted some random thoughts into a much larger dialougue that was cut and pasted from a Western Civilization textbook...
02-05-03 08:08 PM
gypsy Yeah. My mom is 100% Croatian. I've never visited over there or anything. But, would love to in the future.
02-05-03 08:19 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Gypsy wrote:

"I'm Yugoslavian, Irish, & Choctaw".

I'm German, Belgian and Fiji...and we were never really sure where my great grand-mother came from...We believe she was Ethiopian on account of she was really really skinny.

FIJ' you're a naughty boy, with a very wicked sense of humour.....but I likes ya!
02-05-03 08:33 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
sasca wrote:

Many Arab governments would ally themselves with anyone. So would many non-Arab governments. The US was Saddam's friend while he was committing some of the acts which are now used as evidence in favour of war.

If, gmf, I misunderstood your reason for raising WW2 then I apologise. But too many people seem to think that saying 'World War Two' and 'Hitler' automatically imbues their argument with moral authority. But this is a very different situation. Hussein is not Hitler.
(That he tests limits the way Hitler did is hardly a startling similarity - the same is true of millions of people, both leaders and followers.)

I've been trying to get away from pacifism for that reason and because, as I pointed out near the start, I am not yet ready to discuss it as I ought to.

The offensive comment of jb's to which I referred was his call for the extermination of Palestinians.< The Palestinians would call for the extermination of The Jews, if they had the backing to do so.>

The Celts consisited of many groups, loosely united by language and culture. Some were small, with dark hair - the sort now to be seen in Wales, Portugal, Spain, etc. They were part of the same movement; the Welsh are not late-comers from Spain - others were taller, with red or blonde colouring. And, yes, the tribe called 'the Scots' arrived in Scotland from Ireland. But many in Wales and Scotland are descended from people who fled from what is now England in the face of Germanic (Angle, Saxon, Jute) force.
Of course they intermarried with people of god-knows-what descent but what nations haven't? I read a book, the title of which I forget, written by a US Jew about his travels in North Africa and SW Asia. It contained an amusing section in which he met some Jews whose families had lived in the Middle-East for hundreds of years and described the confusion of these brown-complexioned people on finding that the blonde stranger, descended through hundreds of years of intermarriage with Europeans, claimed to be a fellow-Jew.

Anyway, I'm tired of this topic and arguing. I don't think many of us were really trying to convince the others of their views, and, if we were, we ought to have found less antagonistic means. So, unless someone brings up an interesting new point, I'll consider this argument, from my side, finished.

[Edited by sasca]

I shall respect your wishes, as I respect your entitlement to an argument.
02-05-03 10:06 PM
telecaster
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
I shall respect your wishes, as I respect your entitlement to an argument.

Iraqi officer #1: Did you move the nerve agents?

Iraqi officer #2: Yes

Concerned Citizen of The World: Boom Boom, out go the lights

All I need to hear: Nerve agents

It is now officially over.
02-05-03 10:21 PM
Fiji Joe Nerve agents are indeed nasty...make you flop like a fish...and smell like one too...
02-05-03 10:25 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Iraqi officer #1: Did you move the nerve agents?

Iraqi officer #2: Yes

Concerned Citizen of The World: Boom Boom, out go the lights

All I need to hear: Nerve agents

It is now officially over.

but of course according to the pacifists those conversations are a fit-up.
02-05-03 11:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot Sasca wrote: >Hussein is not Hitler.<

Yes that is true. Hitler=Approx. 12 million dead, Saddam=Approx 5 million dead

Saddam is approx 7 million behind.

But give him some more time....he may yet put up Hitler-like numbers.
02-06-03 12:08 AM
Pants Make the Man Did you add the "3,000" dead ('had to have been more than that) from Sep 11 to Hussein's tally, SirStoneslot?

Hussien is every bit of Hitler. A pre-emptive nuclear strike wouldn't be out of order.
02-06-03 01:08 AM
telecaster
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
but of course according to the pacifists those conversations are a fit-up.

In case anyone missed todays news:

Iraqi Officer #1: Did you move the nerve agents

Iraqi Officer #2: Yes

02-06-03 01:30 AM
Sir Stonesalot You know, they say that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

France and England could have stopped WW2 before it even started when Hitler's troops marched back into the Rhineland. All France had to do was march a few divisions into the Rhineland, and Hitler would have had to withdraw. Maybe shots would have been fired...but probably not.

This situation started a policy of appeasement that led the world into global war....and European Jews(not to mention other ethnic groups)to the brink of extinction.

The lesson that history teaches us is that appeasement does not stop tyrants. In fact, it emboldens them.

Some say it is not for the US to determine another countries form of govt. I agree. Unless that particular govt is lead by an evil, demented, egomaniac, bent on aquiring the means to deal the US(and our allies) a mass casualty blow. Appeasement is no kind of policy to follow here. Saddam understands only one thing...and he is about to get a whole lot to understand real soon.

I will not comment on the Israel-Palestine situation. Far more intelligent men than me have been trying to solve the situation for decades, and they failed. What the hell could I add?

And sascy...before you ask...no, I'm not posting from a ship in the Gulf. I'm too old now. Even if I wanted to go back into the Army, they wouldn't take me. I did my time in uniform though...shot up a carload of German terrorists, and thought I was gonna have to fight Khadafi in Libya. Spent a few restless days in full combat gear waiting for the call to come. Fortunately it never came. But if it had, I would have gone and done my duty. I didn't know squat about why I was going to possibly die in some desert. It didn't really matter to us. We would fight to keep each other alive. When it comes down to the common soldier, the guys doing the grunt work...politics means nothing. It's all about complete your mission, and keep yourself, and your buddies alive to see home again. Period.

So even though I never had to see combat, I trained for it. I knew lots of lifers who had seen combat. Not one of us looked forward to it(OK, there were some Rambo/John Wayne types, but they would have gotten waxed in the 1st 10 minutes of the fight anyhow.). But we would have gone. We would have kicked Libya's ass too. You know why? We weren't interested in becoming a martyr. We didn't trust in a diety's will to get us through a battle. We believed in tactics, teamwork, and firepower. Fuck Allah..give me my M-203!

So, it the coming weeks and months...come what may...I'll be pulling for they guys in the fighting positions(we don't call them foxholes anymore).

Oh, and one other thing. I have talked to a bunch of WW2 Vets. To a man, they all support the President. Whomever did that survey didn't talk to any of the WW2 vets that I know!

These are some really shitty times, with no easy answers. I don't want anyone to die, but if push comes to shove, and somebody has gotta die...I want it to be the guys on the other side.
02-06-03 01:55 AM
telecaster [quote]Sir Stonesalot wrote:
You know, they say that those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

France and England could have stopped WW2 before it even started when Hitler's troops marched back into the Rhineland. All France had to do was march a few divisions into the Rhineland, and Hitler would have had to withdraw. Maybe shots would have been fired...but probably not.

Sir Stonesalot for MVP:

1. Adolph Hitler: Calling those days "the most trying of my life" Hitler said: "If France would have marched one division into the Rhineland we would have to withdraw with our tail between our legs.
02-06-03 02:47 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
telecaster wrote:

In case anyone missed todays news:

Iraqi Officer #1: Did you move the nerve agents

Iraqi Officer #2: Yes

I'm agreeing with you!....It's a joke! Ya know, "Honest Guv! We was nowhere near that dumping ground outside Basra".
02-06-03 02:57 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Some say it is not for the US to determine another countries form of govt. I agree. Unless that particular govt is lead by an evil, demented, egomaniac, bent on aquiring the means to deal the US(and our allies) a mass casualty blow. Appeasement is no kind of policy to follow here. Saddam understands only one thing...and he is about to get a whole lot to understand real soon.
< Agree, whole heartedly! The time for pissing about is over, Australia is one country that needs to understand the realities, THIS IS NOT DOUBLE JEAPORDY>
I will not comment on the Israel-Palestine situation. Far more intelligent men than me have been trying to solve the situation for decades, and they failed. What the hell could I add?

And sascy...before you ask...no, I'm not posting from a ship in the Gulf. I'm too old now. Even if I wanted to go back into the Army, they wouldn't take me. I did my time in uniform though...shot up a carload of German terrorists, and thought I was gonna have to fight Khadafi in Libya. Spent a few restless days in full combat gear waiting for the call to come. Fortunately it never came. But if it had, I would have gone and done my duty. I didn't know squat about why I was going to possibly die in some desert. It didn't really matter to us. We would fight to keep each other alive. When it comes down to the common soldier, the guys doing the grunt work...politics means nothing. It's all about complete your mission, and keep yourself, and your buddies alive to see home again. Period.

So even though I never had to see combat, I trained for it. I knew lots of lifers who had seen combat. Not one of us looked forward to it(OK, there were some Rambo/John Wayne types, but they would have gotten waxed in the 1st 10 minutes of the fight anyhow.). But we would have gone. We would have kicked Libya's ass too. You know why? We weren't interested in becoming a martyr. We didn't trust in a diety's will to get us through a battle. We believed in tactics, teamwork, and firepower. Fuck Allah..give me my M-203!

So, it the coming weeks and months...come what may...I'll be pulling for they guys in the fighting positions(we don't call them foxholes anymore).

Oh, and one other thing. I have talked to a bunch of WW2 Vets. To a man, they all support the President. Whomever did that survey didn't talk to any of the WW2 vets that I know!

These are some really shitty times, with no easy answers. I don't want anyone to die, but if push comes to shove, and somebody has gotta die...I want it to be the guys on the other side.

If this goes the way I'm thinking SS, none of us will be too old, bring it on! I'm sick of being diplomatic with these fuckers.
02-06-03 03:06 AM
gypsymofo60 The truth about WW2, and it pains me to say this, but The UK & France could've tried to stop Hitler, but if they had have tried in 1938, the Nazis would've been marching up Whitehall within 6 months. Only The US& Russia( at home), were any real problem for 1938/39 Germany. Although I disagree totaly with appeasment Chamberlin had little re-course, and he knew. I still say they shoulda gone down fighting. This is exactly why today the world must stand firm together on Hussein, and any other Arab despot, North Korea too, if need be, and I think needs be......New soap box please ball-boys!
02-06-03 05:19 AM
icydanger if being diplomatic can save 500 000 people, i am for diplomacy.

Complex, this thread demonstrates it, as mentioned by many.We are not experts.

Fee jee
Yes, my father knows I use the milky type of glue

I told you it would be useless bringing in my points, �you had to decipher--- my sentences out of books�. No, out of thoughts.
I follow the news, and used to read lots of biographies. I am not very interested in politics because its so head taking and complicated. Furthermore I believe in long term effects in all reforms. Usually we don�t get to see them much, as new leaders change methods and the canditate once on the throne, stresses the first year, then shows he is there second year, third year becomes wiser, fourth year stresses for re-elections.There is the interferences between the other parties, population, nations, and so on.

Not all muslims are wahabees, its typical of Saudia and area; one of the most civilized and well off parts of the muslim world, where our western influence is very visible, in their style of life, (materially speaking) and in the presence of colonies.

Many parts of the world have muslim populations, not just the arabs.These populations dont apply the chariah in such a strict way.

�The French story�: in times of war, with the nose right in problems, its difficult to be rational and, America had a more objective vision.
The Gulf mission was also a good decision.

I am not sure saddam had any invasion intentions this time.

Unless a second resolution comes along, we are facing facts, war is at our door, and lets hope losses and damage are in the smallest amount.

02-06-03 10:22 AM
jb The French are self-serving, Arab loving, cowards...
02-06-03 11:05 AM
Pants Make the Man That silly twat sasca must be French, JB. He's like a gay (arab men preferred) parrot..."half-wit. half-wit. half-wit....half-wit. half wit."

Sorry, SS... after Sep 11, all question's should be easily answered. There is no choice in the matter.

And re: Colin Powell speaking at the U.N(othing): You send a man to do a man's job, not some pussy that was largely responsible for letting Saddam Insane off the hook to begin with. I hope he, Colin Powell, had a long look at himself in the mirror after Sep 11.

[Edited by Pants Make the Man]
02-06-03 11:08 AM
jb Colin did a big about face when he was "sucker punched" by the French and Germans....he is the same guy who advised Bush1 not to march on Bagdad, despite Stormin Norman's protestations. Remeber, any one associated with the State department are Arab loving pussies.
02-06-03 11:50 AM
Maxlugar Why are the bombs not flying right now?

We just tipped off the entire world on what buildings we have been watching.

BOMB NOW!!!!

KILL!

MACKY!
02-06-03 11:55 AM
telecaster
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Why are the bombs not flying right now?

We just tipped off the entire world on what buildings we have been watching.

BOMB NOW!!!!

KILL!

MACKY!

The CIA/Delta force has been "in country" for months.

Oops, was I not supposed to say that?

I still want to see that EMP take out all the electronics.

02-06-03 12:03 PM
littleredrooster Be careful!

Saddam MONITORS this site!!!!
02-06-03 12:05 PM
Maxlugar Oh and those two guys talking on the phone about nerve agents?

They were most likey executed 10 seconds after Powell's demonstration.

02-06-03 12:07 PM
littleredrooster Gypsy,
You should visit Hvar, an island in the Adriatic just north of Dubrovnik
Fields of lavender, great food, wine, people, and sunbathing on small public out islands.
It is near the island of Korcula, the birthplace of Marco Polo.
02-06-03 12:21 PM
sasca Of course, it can also be argued that appeasement worked in the destruction of the Soviets. History teaches many lessons.

It should be pointed out that Blix is denying key elements of the Powell report - he says that the Iraqis did not know of the inspections much in advance and that there is no evidence of mobile laboratories. Members of the CIA and FBI also feel the government is exagerating the claims to make their case for war.
While Tony Blair insists on substantial AQ-Iraq links, his intelligence service is finding 'no current links' - that there has been contact but it foundered due to mutual dislike and mistrust.

Even if Saddam has those weapons, that does not make a case for war. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PACIFISM. Experts point out that if Saddam is anything, he is cautious. There is no reason to believe that he has changed. Why would he not seek nuclear weaponry? The US would if it were in that region. It is at least a matter of prestige - militarily powerful countries respect other militarily powerful countries.
[Edited by sasca]
02-06-03 12:33 PM
Maxlugar Boy oh boy, where does one begin?

Containment not appeasment brought down the USSR.

Containment works only with rational people not insane dictators.

Blix is mildly retarted.

Saddam is so cautious he invaded two country's and sent missles into more. He dumped tons upon tons of oil into the gulf and lit his oil fields on fire.
What a nice reserved young man.

You have lost whatever credibility you once had on this topic.

02-06-03 12:36 PM
sasca You're right - it was containment - as I mentioned some thought has worked in the case of Saddam (bottom of page 7). It was appeasement in so far as it held back from war.
02-06-03 12:37 PM
sasca And I've discussed the wars as part of Saddam's caution. Again, see the bottom of page 7.
02-06-03 12:41 PM
Maxlugar I'm not talking to you for 111 days.

Sorry.
02-06-03 12:44 PM
Riffhard Sasca for god's sake get a grip! Blix said not more than one hour ago that Powell's address was a real eye opener and that he(Blix)is convinced that Saddam is playing hide and seek. Did you watch the address sasca?! Did it do nothing to convince you that this man is an incredibly dangerous man?! The fact that this Zhaquiri(sp?)fucker is a high ranking official of Al Queda and responsible for helping plan the bombing of the USS Cole should be enough for you. But no,nothing short of thousands of rotting American corpses will convince you.

If Saddam has the weapons,and he does,the UN's resolution 1441 states that he will suffer the consequenses. That means war sasca. The US does not have to prove shit! Saddam has to! Why do you Europeans continue to try and turn that around?!!!!! Goddamnit! I have lost pasteince with you sasca! You will never be convinced. You claim that you are so concerned about the loss of innocent life. BULLSHIT!!! Saddam Hussien has killed millions of innocents over the last 20 years,yet you continue to rail against the US stance! You are beyond a hypocrit! Your lying to yourself and everyone here with this BS talk of appeasment! When was the last time thousands of Europeans marched in the streets for the atrocities of Saddam?! Never that's how many! Yet our "friends" in Germany and France have no problem marching against the USA's policy to liberate Iraq! It sickens me and the fact that those two countries are becoming irrelevant on the world stage pleases me to no end!

They call themselves allies?! My ass! France is ONLY concerned about France. I hope my country remembers that the next time they raise their collective white flags!

Riffhard
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST