ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Copacabana Palace, Rio de Janeiro
© 1968 Jornal O Globo
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Did The Superbowl help sell more copies of A Bigger Bang? Return to archive
February 11th, 2006 05:19 PM
Poison Dart Anybody know if the Superbowl helped the Stones move any copies of A Bigger Bang? Also does anybody have an updated sales total in the US and then the rest of the world for ABB?
February 11th, 2006 06:04 PM
Ihavelotsajam Well, we have to wait till this coming Wednesday, but to go on a limb, I'll say I don't think it will help much. Apparently, nobody liked it. Now, I expected a lot of negativity because of the context, as in-- football being the main reason people tune in, wrong audience, trivial atmosphere etc, etc, etc... but still, I have to say I am just a notch surprised at the sheer extent of the negativity that the performance has received. They weren't BAD, jeez. I've read all kinds of posts of people, saying things that are not just a different opinion, but completely OUT THERE... it's like we Stones fans are from another planet entirely. Or our taste is. In general, some will say this was good exposure, and whatever, but I'd rather they didn't take the gig.
Anyway, sorry for the venting.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
February 11th, 2006 06:19 PM
sirmoonie
[Edited by sirmoonie]
February 11th, 2006 10:33 PM
IanBillen It will help. But how much....minimally. In other words instead of selling 3,000 copies it may sell six or eight thousand that week.
It isn't going to sell another million based in last Sunday.

Sure the reviews were not so hot. But guess what. I thought they rocked. Mick lost his pace and got a little too excited in SMU. The sound screwed up but it wan't the bands fault.

What people do not understand is any type of Rolling Stones show is not to be this be totally rehearsed, sqeaky clean, smooth show. The Stones and their live show was, and always has been, somwhat sloppy, ragged, and slightly improvised. The Superbowl was a great example of that.

Alot of the excitement of a live Stones show has always been is the spontineity and unsureness of it all. People were looking for this sqeaky clean, polished Paul Mcartney type performance and that is, and never has been, what a Rolling Stones show is like.

I thought they had a great energy to their sound. I also think they some how brought a kind of Bad-Boyness to The half time show that was non-existant in past Superbowl shows. They kinda made it like, you know, not so family oriented just in the vibe and sound they bring with them. It was The Stones.

The People who say "wow they weren't so hot" really just didn't get it. If you notice almost anyone who says that is not a Stones fan and does not have really any idea what The band is supposed to be in the first place.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
February 11th, 2006 10:59 PM
Ihavelotsajam Maybe I'm getting old, but I think I'm starting to hope they retire soon. I never felt that way before, but this week was just brutal.
February 12th, 2006 12:03 AM
Soldatti ABB will re chart again on the top 200, almost no doubts about it but I don't think that the sales could be over 10,000 copies. I don't really know.
February 12th, 2006 12:12 AM
Chuck The Stones were more entertaining than that lame-assed football game.
February 12th, 2006 12:38 AM
Stonesthrow
quote:
Chuck wrote:
The Stones were more entertaining than that lame-assed football game.

You are risking the ire of Moonie. The game was pretty lame though.
February 12th, 2006 12:43 AM
MrPleasant D.I.C.K.S
T.A.L...

(Signed by Neil Young, or whatever your LOW hero
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 12th, 2006 12:47 AM
MrPleasant Did The Superbowl help sell more copies of A Bigger Bang¿

A BIGGER EMBARRESNEENNTNTNTNTNNTNT,

Fuck you.
February 12th, 2006 03:28 AM
Child of the Moon Jesus, who fucking cares?
February 12th, 2006 03:29 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

[Edited by sirmoonie]

STEEEEEEEEELERS!!!!
February 12th, 2006 04:55 AM
corgi37 I didnt know any sport was played at the so called "super"bowl. Just alot of standing around waiting for something to happen. I have not, repeat, have not, seen a more boring example of that alleged game called "football". You Yanks may love it, but it bores normal people to tears. I aint kidding, its a frigging joke. 2 minute warnings that last 25 minutes, changing 1/2 the bloody team, time out here, time out there - and they kick the ball like 5 times!

I might also add, that ex-Aussie Aussie Rules players are becoming the preferred "punteres". Darren Bennett, now Ben Graham and apparently Yank scouts hanging here full time on the look out for Aussie Rules players to snatch.

Of course, we cant talk, cause cricket is even worse. But, we didnt invent that. Nor Rugby. But Aussie Rules, thats ours!
[Edited by corgi37]
February 12th, 2006 05:02 AM
Altamont Yep Corgi. US football has a distinct homo erotic, ass grabbing slant to it. And the win is bought! Where's the pride in that?

It's a joke.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)