ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: STONES SHOWS TOU WISH YOU COULD HAVE ATTENDED Return to archive
02-12-04 12:14 AM
BILL PERKS THERE ARE SO MANY SHOWS I WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN BUT HERE'S MY TOPS
1-HYDE PARK-69
2-JFK STADIUM-9-25-81
3-KNEBWORTH-76
4-MARQUEE CLUB-71
5-MADISON SQUARE GARDEN 11-69
6-STEEL PIER,AC-66
7-100 CLUB-82
8-100 CLUB-86
9-TOADS PLACE -89
10-EL MOCAMBO-77
02-12-04 12:19 AM
stonedinaustralia el mocambo

altamont

melbourne or perth '73

msg - '69

their first gig with charlie
02-12-04 01:02 AM
corgi37 I'll go with Melbourne 73 as well. Why, just a quick scoot up the road!

Othewise;
Hyde park
Hampton Roads 81
NY 75 (or LA, what ever had the petal stage and the drummers).
02-12-04 02:16 AM
marko All New york shows.
02-12-04 09:51 AM
dealer squealing Baton Rouge 1. june 1975
02-12-04 11:14 AM
glencar That birthday concert at MSG in the 70's.
02-12-04 11:36 AM
M.O.W.A.T. The Crawdaddy Club July 12, 1962
The Rock 'n' Roll Circus Taping 1968
Hyde Park 1969
MSG 1969
Marquee Club 1971
Any 1972 show with the Stones/Stevie Wonder doing Uptight/Satisfaction
Louisiana 1975
MSG 1975
LA 1975
Any Paris 1976 show
Knebworth 1976
El Mocambo 1977
Any 1978 Show
CNIB 1979
Any 1981 Show
100 Club 1986 (Ian Stewart Memorial)
Any Theatre show on the Licks tour.
[Edited by M.O.W.A.T.]
02-12-04 12:17 PM
Nasty Habits
Any show before 1964
Hawaii '66
Paris '66 (or whichever one it is with that killer Get Off My Cloud/Paint It Black/Feedback Drenched Satisfaction)
MSG '69
MSG '72
PERTH '73
El Macambo
Fort Worth '78
Ian Stewart Wake
Whichever '95 Euro Club gig was the hottest . . .

That's kinda piggie though -- if I had to pick just one I'd probably bite the bullet and go MSG '69 - whichever show it is that has the joined Under My Thumb/I'm Free and that insane version of Sympathy -- sounds like heaven on earth . . .
02-12-04 12:36 PM
Martha
quote:
glencar wrote:
That birthday concert at MSG in the 70's.

I just learned that my girlfriend Diane was at this show, but she can't remember the exact year or date...was it July 26, 1972? Please help!

Oh, I would wish to have been at the entire taping of the Rock and Roll Circus..if i am to pick just one thing.

Otherwise, I wish I could have gone to at least one show per every tour since it all began.
02-12-04 12:41 PM
throbby Hey Martha! I believe that was the date. The big # 29 for Mick.

For me MSG'69
Olympia '66
Brussels '73
02-12-04 01:13 PM
Phog Olympia '66
Baltimore & MSG '69
Anything from '70
Leeds '71
Philly, MSG, and Vancouver '72
Perth '73
Anything from Europe '73
KC & MSG '75
Frankfurt '76
Ft. Worth '78
KC & Hampton '81
02-12-04 01:22 PM
mac_daddy wasn't that bday show the last of the STP in 72..? with the pie throwing and all that, right..? Martha, I think you have the correct date...

my list:
MSG and Oakland 69

Charlotte and MSG 72

Brussels 73

The whole winter 73 tour - man they rocked hard on this short tour...

the five shows at the Fabulous Forum that took place in July 1975 (which we are treeing to the group now)

Paris 76

Mocambo 77

Ft Worth 78

[Edited by mac_daddy]
02-12-04 01:30 PM
Martha Thank you for confirming that for me Throbby and mac_daddy! Pie throwing?????? Is that where the phrase "pie waits for no one" originated? LOL
02-12-04 01:37 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Martha wrote:
Thank you for confirming that for me Throbby and mac_daddy! Pie throwing?????? Is that where the phrase "pie waits for no one" originated? LOL

just finished greenfield's book (STP - Journey through America with the Rolling Stones), and he goes into this episode in detail...

Chip Monck had a few other things he wanted to do, but the venue said no (an elephant was to give Mick a rose with his trunk, or something). anyway, MSG kept saying no, and chip had to have a decoy set of pies, which were confiscated by the venue, and he had another set under the stage by the amps, gear, etc...

apparantly when they got Charlie with the pies (and I think it was Stu that got him), the two pies hung off his ears, reminiscent of what princess lea's 'do would look like some five years later...

classic stuff, and it would have been a gas to have been there.
02-12-04 01:37 PM
Phog Actually, they were throwing birthday cake around.
02-12-04 02:02 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Phog wrote:
Actually, they were throwing birthday cake around.

pp. 318 - 325

first chip hired an elephant, trained to walk up steps. "At the end of the set, (the elephant) will come out on stage, bump jagger, then bow and present him with a long stemmed rose. Everyone will sing happy birthday. the elephant will pat Mick on the ass and leave..."

idea shot down by venue...

then Chip thinks, "let's drop chickens" but Rudge asks, "what happes if they come down and claw people's eyes out?" "yeah" chip concedes, "what hapens if the kids start tearing them apart and eating them live, geek-style? What we'll do," chip continues, "is dip their little toes in a vat of warm paraffin. that way they will have little booties on and they wont be able to claw people."

idea shot down by the venue - "When the Garden hears about the chickens, they seal off the roof."

howabout amyl-nitrate? "we'll lay them all over the floor and hire a caterpiller (tractor) to drive over them and crush 'em and imagine! there'll be 20,000 people rushing at the... no, huh?"

idea shot down by Chip

so chip buys 154 cream pies "when the garden discovers this, they freak and make him remove them... the garden confiscates the ones they are supposed to find while there is a whole other load hidden in boxes behind the amps.."

Bianca comes out after the encore with a cake for Mick. then, "the boxes come open, Jagger gets one whopp on the arm, throws one at Charlie, who ducks. Stevie (Wonder)'s horn player cracks an amy and flings one pie that wipes out Stevie's three chick singers with one creamy swoop...

"The stage is covered with a quarter-inch of cream; it's everywhere, oozing and sticking. Charlie sits behind the drum kit, unscathed. He does the final roll on Happy Birthday, kicks in the final beat, hits the cymbal and is about to rise when Stu, who is so covered with pie he looks like Frosty the Snowman, plants one large pie on either side of Charlie's head. Whop! Whop! they hang there for a second, like pastry ear muffs, then slide slowly off, leaving great mounds of fluffy white stuff behind."
02-12-04 02:12 PM
Phog Ah, I stand corrected.
02-12-04 04:30 PM
LadyJane Not sure of some of the years but:

El Mocambo--'77
Slane Castle
Toronto--'72 (?) Back to back shows.
Any of the Licks shows that had RO gatherings
All MSG shows!!

LJ.
02-12-04 04:41 PM
Joey

Any Rolling Stones show prior to 1989 .

JACKY ! JACKY ! JACKY !

02-12-04 04:53 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat All shows in the 70's.
02-12-04 05:18 PM
Poplar
the Naples 82 show. (shattered in europe)
fast show - and it sounds like it was a hot night.
love dance'n and sweat'n.

02-12-04 06:34 PM
Gazza LadyJane wrote:
>Slane Castle

that was my first Stones show!! Whats your fascination with THAT show, LJ?

>Any of the Licks shows that had RO gatherings
All MSG shows!!

we had one before the MSG '02 show so you coulda killed two birds with one 'stone'
02-12-04 08:01 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LadyJane wrote:
>Slane Castle

that was my first Stones show!! Whats your fascination with THAT show, LJ?

OH, I dunno. Just the whole idea of being in Ireland (land of my ancestors) on the grounds of a beautiful Castle (fascinating story of George IV and Lady Conyngham) near the River Boyne. It's just SO romantic. Throw in the Stones and I'm swooning!!

LJ.
02-12-04 10:31 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
quote:
KC & Hampton '81

I had forgotten about KC. Would have loved to seen MT join them onstage for one night (so what if he did play a little too long.)

BEST VIEWED HIGH