ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones and reggae Return to archive
02-11-04 10:35 AM
nankerphelge I saw an interesting show yesterday on the Discovery Times channel (I think) -- about Jamacian music -- Ska, Rock Steady, Reggae. A lot of early footage and interviews with all sorts of characters. Certainly a lot of information on the influences and development of the music in Jamaica, and the marketing of it, over quite a timeline.

One guy talked about the Stones at his London club in '64 where some of this music was showcased. Showed some footage of Brian and Mick looking all chiba faced!! "All them Stones were scruffy" he said!!

02-11-04 10:43 AM
stonedatbirth666 everybody check out the "Wingless Angels" lt is a great feel good from the inside out type thing
02-11-04 12:34 PM
FPM C10
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Certainly a lot of information on the influences and development of the music in Jamaica, and the marketing of it, over quite a timeline.

I wish I had seen that! The first reggae I ever heard was "My Boy Lollipop" in the early 60s, and then in '68 Desmond Dekker and the Aces had a hit with "The Israelites". I didn't really realize that it was a totally different brand of music until Bob Marley hit in the US, after Clapton covered "I Shot The Sheriff".

The most interesting thing I ever read about reggae was that the change from the frantic pace of ska to the slower grooves of rock steady came about because there was a heat wave in Jamaica in the mid 60s, and dancers in clubs were keeling over from the exertion, so they had to slow the riddim down. Did they mention that? Not often that weather affects music so stylistically - an extreme case of what Keith says about "God joining the band".

02-11-04 01:04 PM
telecaster nanky I saw that show. Funny how they had to use subtitles
even thought the guys were speaking English

02-11-04 01:06 PM
Joey " I wish I had seen that! The first reggae I ever heard was "My Boy Lollipop" in the early 60s, and then in '68 Desmond Dekker and the Aces had a hit with "The Israelites". I didn't really realize that it was a totally different brand of music until Bob Marley hit in the US, after Clapton covered "I Shot The Sheriff".

The most interesting thing I ever read about reggae was that the change from the frantic pace of ska to the slower grooves of rock steady came about because there was a heat wave in Jamaica in the mid 60s, and dancers in clubs were keeling over from the exertion, so they had to slow the riddim down. Did they mention that? Not often that weather affects music so stylistically - an extreme case of what Keith says about "God joining the band". "

Fleabit :

J.

02-11-04 03:19 PM
Maxlugar [quote]FPM C10 wrote:

The most interesting thing I ever read about reggae was that the change from the frantic pace of ska to the slower grooves of rock steady came about because there was a heat wave in Jamaica in the mid 60s, and dancers in clubs were keeling over from the exertion, so they had to slow the riddim down.

That is true Fleabit.

The Rude Boys didn't like to get "pits".

Sho 'nuff.

Oh, and God joined the band in 1969 in the form of Mick Taylor.

M!
02-11-04 03:26 PM
Joey " The most interesting thing I ever read about reggae was that the change from the frantic pace of ska to the slower grooves of rock steady came about because there was a heat wave in Jamaica in the mid 60s, and dancers in clubs were keeling over from the exertion, so they had to slow the riddim down. "

www.HackWriters.com

Excellent Post My Son ! Please feel free to take the rest of the day off ..................................

" It's the Jetties Ronnie ! "

J . Fly !

02-11-04 03:30 PM
nankerphelge Don't recall the weather influencing the change from Ska to RS -- but they did talk about My Boy Lollipop being a huge hit in the early 60s, and Desmond Dekker.

They had quite a bit on Bob Marley -- they interviewed a few Wailers. They had a bit on Perry and dubbing.

The rise of Rastafarianism and its influence.

I checked Disc/Time sched and didn't see it listed -- might have been PBS.

I'll find it
02-11-04 03:37 PM
Maxlugar You sound ready for some Tosh.

Oh, did they go over the Ethiopians??? My GOD! Engine 54 is one of the most perfect albums I have ever heard.

02-11-04 03:39 PM
nankerphelge They may have -- it was long and I missed some at the end.

02-11-04 03:41 PM
Maxlugar Damn it! Pay attention Nanky!

What, were you getting high while watching a Reggae documentary??

That's uncalled for!

02-11-04 03:44 PM
nankerphelge I was!

I turned it on, then turned me on!!

It was the Bravo network -- it is playing again this Sunday an 11 am and Monday at 2 am!!

Reggae: The Story of Jamacian Music.

Where's that joint....
02-11-04 03:47 PM
Maxlugar I'm so there.

Thank you my brother.

02-11-04 03:47 PM
nankerphelge Be sure to get high!

BEST VIEWED HIGH