ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Cracking Up Return to archive
02-09-04 02:40 PM
Poplar
I threw in Love You Live this weekend.
Overall, it doesn't do it for me like some of the bootlegs from this era, but there are a few tracks that i think really smoke. Among them: Star Star, and It's Only Rock & Roll. However (and you can call me crazy) Cracking Up is brilliant. One of those great moments when the band melds some different genres (disco, reggae) and comes up with something uniquely Stones.

can anyone tell me more about this tune? where did it come from, and are there any other shows that have a good version of it? i must have listened to it like 5 times between saturday and sunday.

"keep yo hand out ma pocket - keep yo foot out my door!"
02-09-04 02:56 PM
throbby Isn't that a Bo Diddley tune? I really dig the groove on Mannish Boy.
02-09-04 03:01 PM
Poplar
AH-HA! thought so.

composition credits: Ellas McDaniel (huh ??)
Original performer: Bo Diddley (1958)

I love it. the way the band slides into it.
ahhh. good stuf! good puff-puff tune.

02-09-04 03:04 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Poplar wrote:

AH-HA! thought so.

composition credits: Ellas McDaniel (huh ??)
Original performer: Bo Diddley (1958)

I love it. the way the band slides into it.
ahhh. good stuf! good puff-puff tune.

Elias McDaniel is Bo Diddley's natural born name.
02-09-04 03:23 PM
Poplar
man - what would i do w/out you people to educate me?
i love you guys.

02-09-04 04:03 PM
Gazza >can anyone tell me more about this tune? where did it come from, and are there any other shows that have a good version of it?

The Stones played it in concert in early 1963, but theres no recordings available.

There is a radio performance recorded at BBC studios from summer 1964 available on bootlegs.

The only performances of it since then were at the two El Mocambo shows on 4 and 5 March 1977 taped for "Love You Live". The officially released version is the only available live performance of the song.
02-09-04 05:15 PM
crb69 The Stones rehearsed Crackin' Up for the '78 Tour up in Woodstock, NY; I've got it somewhere. I've always loved it on Love You Live and I used to jam it out live as a party tune in an old cover band I was in. Another good version of it was released as a live B-side I believe by Izzy Stradlin. Rick Richards really tears it up on the leads!!!!
02-09-04 05:54 PM
Scottfree I think this personifies the Stones (at least in that era), and is the Stones that I knew first. Ronnie playing highs, and Keith doing a great driving rythym......One of the greatest feel good party tunes.....
02-09-04 06:01 PM
Poplar
"party tune" - that about sums it up crb69.

Such a feel good song. when i heard it Saturday, i was just getting over a bug, and a move. It was just a perfectly happy tune for a day when i was finally feeling like myself again. Also, the audio mix in the club really fits the vibe of the song. Mick sings it right, too.

can ya tell i'm completely obsessed with this tune right now? i need to get all my shit unpacked from the move and figure the licks out on my guitar after work.

after all these years, the stones can still hook me! i love it. and i LOVE YOU LIVE!

wilson
02-09-04 08:41 PM
throbby THanks Poplar! Had a good listen to it tonight.
02-09-04 10:04 PM
glencar Love the Stones version of this song. Is the B. Diddy one any different?

BEST VIEWED HIGH