ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

A stones experiment: Twickenham on a Mega screen - IMAX format - Free experience!!!
At the biggest university in Latin América! Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Bien hecho Rogerriffin!!!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Queen: Most Popular Rockers in Britain. Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-07-04 08:30 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Queen are still rock kings

LONDON (Reuters) - More than 30 years after the strains of "We Will Rock You" first got fans clapping and flailing their arms in the air, Queen are still the most popular rockers in Britain.

In a survey by UCI cinemas among 1,000 moviegoers, "We Will Rock You" was voted favourite rock anthem with "Bohemian Rhapsody" following in second place.

It was the second big pop compliment of the year for Queen. Britney Spears, Beyonce and Pink have just recorded a cover version of "We Will Rock You" for a Pepsi advertisement.

02-07-04 08:43 AM
egon I like queen.
and i like britney & beyonce, but for completely different reasons
02-07-04 10:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Queen are still rock kings

It was the second big pop compliment of the year for Queen. Britney Spears, Beyonce and Pink have just recorded a cover version of "We Will Rock You" for a Pepsi advertisement.

OH MY GOD! The song was bad enough already! Beyonce is far too good to be in that lineup!

Alex
02-07-04 10:37 AM
Ronnie B. Wood Bohemian Rhapsody is very stupid song, that stupid opera, and than "i am just a poor boy..." STUPIDD!!! but that sentence is more stupid - Queen the best rockers in UK..
We Know Who Is The Best!!!!!!!!
02-07-04 04:24 PM
UGot2Rollme I remember avoiding Queen when they were alive, but some of their stuff has grown with me over the years.. e.g. I've got a very soft spot for #You're My Best Friend.#

They never really rocked in my opinion (though they tried) but they did put out a few good tunes....

FAT BOTTOM GIRLS YOU MAKE THE ROCKIN WORLD GO ROUND!!!!!!!
02-07-04 05:25 PM
mickmask Stupid??!!!! ... I beg to differ. Queen was one of those bands that fit into the ranks of "composers", not just musicians. Listen carefully again to "A Night At The Opera", listen to the timing, the pauses, the incredible instrumentals and most of all listen to Mercury's voice... it's range and 'lilt' if you will. Other bands that compare...Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, ect... how anyone can find them stupid.... oh well, to each their own. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
02-07-04 08:30 PM
Gazza >LONDON (Reuters) - More than 30 years after the strains of "We Will Rock You" first got fans clapping and flailing their arms in the air, Queen are still the most popular rockers in Britain

the poll doesnt actually suggest they are. It only refers to the public choice of most popular rock "anthem" (whatever the fuck that is) as opposed to most popular group. Stupid piece of summarizing by Reuters.

Incidentally, I saw this meaningless poll today. I think "Satisfaction" was placed at no. 13
[Edited by Gazza]
02-07-04 11:13 PM
mac_daddy I absolutely loathe queen...

the closest they got to rock n roll was fat bottomed girls, and they still missed the mark...

yuk.
02-08-04 01:09 AM
Prodigal Son This doesn't reflect well on the UK's taste in rock n' rollers, after all the US started the damn genre but that British Invasion kept it alive. But we have many posters from there that don't buy into the British classic pop/rock trifecta of absolute shit in the long run: Pink Floyd, Cliff Richard and Queen. I don't know what's worse, the overrated yet worshipped acts in the US-Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Motley Crue or the ones in the UK-Queen (they could do no right in the US after "Another One Bites the Dust"-I mean, "Radio Gaga"?), Wham and Robbie Williams. Ugh.

Most people, let's admit, have lousy tastes no matter what side of the Atlantic. And people wonder why British acts have no chart power in America? THe majority SUCK worse than the average US acts like Beyonce (not average in look however), most rap and all those loser nu-metal angst-sells groups. For people in England who don't know any better, we need a gospel given on the real great music that's come out of their country (pre-1980s rubbish).

I remember a list of best bands/solo artists in the history of the UK as voted by people and it was sickening. THe Spice Girls were ahead of the Stones I believe. Yikes. Now, as for other European countries. Hey, those Germans rock am I right? So, to our friends from the UK, any good bands/artists I'm forgetting? It seems like those heady days of Britpop are over (generating a few underrated bands such as Blur, Radiohead and churning out all talk and no walk groups like Oasis).
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
02-08-04 02:53 AM
marko Queen=Queer.
02-08-04 08:49 AM
UGot2Rollme
...take me to them dirty ladies every time...
///////////////////////
Fat Bottomed Girls
Words and music by Brian May

Are you gonna take me home tonight
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out
Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin' world go round

Hey I was just a skinny lad
Never knew no good from bad
But I knew life before I left my nursery
Left alone with big fat Fanny
She was such a naughty nanny
Heap big woman you made a bad boy out of me
Hey hey!

I've been singing with my band
Across the wire across the land
I seen ev'ry blue eyed floozy on the way
But their beauty and their style
Went kind of smooth after a while
Take me to them dirty ladies every time

Oh won't you take me home tonight?
Oh down beside your red firelight
Oh and you give it all you got
Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round

Hey listen here
Now your mortgages and homes
I got stiffness in the bones
Ain't no beauty queens in this locality (I tell you)
Oh but I still get my pleasure
Still got my greatest treasure
Heap big woman you gonna make a big man out of me
Now get this

Oh you gonna take me home tonight (please)
Oh down beside your red firelight
Oh you gonna let it all hang out
Get on your bikes and ride

Oooh yeah them fat bottomed girls
Fat bottomed girls
Yeah yeah yeah
Fat bottomed girls
Yes yes

02-08-04 09:05 AM
Honky Tonk Man Oh boy, Prodigal Son! I really don't know where to start with this reply, but I feel obliged too. Someone here has to stick up for our music scene!

I think it's very unfair to say that very few bands have come out of the UK from 80's to the present. Brit-Pop died years ago, as did MOST of the bands associated with it, but it was a glorious time for British music. It meant fuck all everywhere else, but who cared? 10 years before that there were the Smiths. Were they not a good band? NOW, how many great US bands were there then? After the Seattle Grunge scene and before that, Guns N Roses, there wasn't a great deal was there?

At the moment, I would say the US has the edge. There are so many great guitar bands out there that look cool. The Strokes, The White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Black Rebel... and so on. We don't have anything quite like that. All those bands are HUGE in the UK. Maybe they are even bigger here then they are in the US. We have a few bands coming through, but I'm sure the only one you have heard of is Coldplay. Coldplay are crap.

Was there any need to bring up Cliff Richard? LOL, his popularity over here is as much a mystery to me, as I’m sure it is to you!

Alex
02-08-04 09:40 AM
mac_daddy you've got Mogwai...

you can have the Strokes (man, I wish they were from somewhere else - they define overrated)

the Smiths were great musically, but there are few singers who chafe me as much as Morrissey. That putz lives not 5 minutes from me now. He should go back to Europe - somehow I don't think sunny, laid-back, soCal truly fits that guy's disposition. Johnny Marr was the sh*t, though - he made that 12-string Rickenbocker sing; the rhythm section was tight, too. But Morrissey is horrible. People fall all over the guy, though - he connects with some people, I just do my best to try and avoid them...

Echo and the Bunnymen (up through Ocean Rain) kicked the Smiths' ass (largely because Morrissey sucks). Crocodiles is a fantastic album...

I'll give props to Madness, the Jam, even the Beat (never to General Public, though)...

once upon a time, Sting and his band, the Police, were cool - now, he couldn't suck more...

Eno is from there, and that counts for something, too

but Marillion?

Yes?

argh!
02-08-04 09:52 AM
mac_daddy don't forget me (one of the queen's proudest exports, and a particular favorite of sirmoonie )

02-08-04 12:50 PM
Gazza I think for a country a fifth the size of the US, we've produced proportionally as many great rock acts as the US has - including the two greatest and most important bands of all time - not a bad feat when you consider that rock n roll was something we cant claim to have invented (even though thanks to bands like the Stones we did help show white Americans a form of their own music they werent normally exposed to)

Anyone who gets worked up about polls needs their head tested. Most people who vote in these things arent the sort of people who listen to music seriously like we do or who know anything about it. This poll wasnt even conducted amongst people who described themselves as music fans - it was a poll of MOVIE GOERS? what the fucks that got to do with music? would you take seriously a poll on US foreign policy if it was limited to the opinions of bricklayers?

A high proportion of pollsters are mostly kids for whom NOW is everything and who are ignorant of anything that existed more than a couple of years ago. So the Spice Girls won a silly poll about 6 or 7 years ago? who cares...all of their fans were kids under the age of 12. Nowadays they couldnt get arrested and every one of them are regarded as a national joke. Only one or two of them currently have record contracts.

Most people under the age of 25 are hardly the sort of people to get a credible answer from in a poll dealing with anything historical. (I exclude the people in that category on this site because they obviously have taste). I mean, only last week Britney Spears admitted that she didnt know who John Lennon was.

(space left for you to pause while muttering the expletive of disbelief of your own choice)

Her excuse was "he was before my time". Funny how she took part in that Elvis special a couple of years ago,then.

This poll for what its worth only referred to favourite rock ANTHEMS, not favourite acts. For what its worth the top ten included one hit wonder entries such as "The Final Countdown" by Europe and "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, neither of whom are British and neither of whom could hardly be regarded as rock legends. these are the sort of songs they play before football matches and to accompany voice overs. Its meaningless for fucks sake.

maybe if the Stones occasionally RELEASED a fucking record or lived in the real world where people under the age of 40 or who earned less than £25,000 a year could AFFORD one of their concert tickets they might make a large proportion of the record buying public a bit more aware of who they are.
[Edited by Gazza]
02-08-04 02:52 PM
sergey rollingstones I think queen very good rock group. But for me Stones in twice better than queen. Because stones this is style of life. Yes i love queen very much their many songs in my heart and in my soul. I love the song love OF my life, keep yourself alive & tie your mother down. You can see my signatures and my pictures in my site with Bryan May. And complete set with four signatures queen on vinyl lp. Go on my site http://www.rolling-stones.ru
02-09-04 02:03 AM
Prodigal Son Yeah, thanks for mentioning some good UK bands. I guess a lot of mainstream bands in the techno rock/pop crapola were from the UK, but you do have your fine bands for sure. If only we could hear them in North America. The US and UK scenes used to be as one from 1964-86, but since then only a few major forces have cracked the superstardom moniker in the US.

I think it's also pretty interesting to see how the UK has produced countless great acts despite 1/5 the population of the US. Like I mentioned, they did take American music, recycle it and show Americans how damn good their own music styles were. People had all but ignored blues, R&B and 50s R&R by 1964 and then 40 years ago today, rock music hit a new renassaince thanks to the Beatles who were followed shortly by a slew of great, and sometimes crappy acts, but the great stuff continued until the early 80s. Then it may have just gone underground over here or something.

In Canada, we get to absorb it all so I think the musical tastes are more refined. If asked the greatest rock artists of all time, the Stones, Beatles, Who, Hendrix, Dylan, Led Zep would all be up where they belong. Somehow, in US polls, bands like Bon Jovi, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles and all that seem to get overrated. But I wasn't neccesarily criticising UK tastes as the worst ever, but when did the lack of musical power over here get so dim? Oasis was big for a while, but their own hooligan attitudes and self-destructive arrogance did them in. Anyway, can't wait to see what's next from that scene and hopefully that person/band won't be as whimpy as Coldplay (the kiss of death came when Timberdyke said he likes to lay back, have a bath and listen to Coldplay-no thanks I'll crank up Exile myself.
02-09-04 04:59 AM
FotiniD I couldn't care less about all those polls and surveys out there, I mean they come like every two months or so. Best rockers, best song, best guitars, best music Gods, best s**t. Really boring stuff.

But, taking the chance, I'd like to put in my two cents on Queen. Before I even knew about the Stones (once upon a time), I listened to Queen all day long like a maniac. You can say they were my first big musical love, first cut is the deepest and so on... Then of course came the Stones, and that's a whole different chapter in the book, the ending of the age of innocence

Why do I bore you with my personal history? Just in order to excuse my arrogance and say I know a great deal about them

Back to the topic, Queen were not JUST "Radio Ga Ga" or "I Want to Break Free" or all that super-stupid pop hits that they released in mid-eighties to early-nineties. They had this ability to deal successfuly with any musical genre they put their hands on, true enough, but as far as I'm concerned, the real and best Queen was around records like "Queen II" and "A Night at the Opera". "Queen II" in particular comes very close to be named the most intelligent, best piece of "rock" music I've yet to hear. And even after that. Songs like "The Prophet's Song" or "White Queen" prove what Queen were capable of doing. Complicate melodies, amazing progressions, extremely well-writen lyrics (close to poetry if I may say so) and unbelievable performances. Well, some dig it and some don't, I loved it.

So, they weren't all rock 'n' roll (with the exceptions of Fat Bottomed Girls or similar stuff) so what? I do believe they were extremely tallented musicians, amazing composers and an amazing band altogether: great drummer, great bassist, a guitarist with one of the most distinctive guitar playing ever and a singer with extraordinary capabilities.

Just wanted to say all that cause most people seem to know and judge Queen only because of the big 80's hits and that's really unfair to their past (and prime).

"I reign with my left hand / I rule with my right / I'm lord of all darkness / I'm queen of the night" - March of the Black Queen, Queen.
02-09-04 08:06 AM
Hannalee FotiniD, I think I love you
02-09-04 08:14 AM
FotiniD That's great Hannalee!
[Edited by FotiniD]
02-09-04 09:43 AM
glencar I think Clay Aiken is better than Queen. Or is he a queen? I dunno. I do know that that "Radio Gaga" song was unreasonably popular in England last time I was there. Silly.
02-09-04 09:55 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
I think Clay Aiken is better than Queen. Or is he a queen? I dunno. I do know that that "Radio Gaga" song was unreasonably popular in England last time I was there. Silly.

Who the f**k is Clay Aiken?!?!
And as said, I too don't think Radio Ga Ga was that great, but Queen were not all that.
02-09-04 10:47 PM
glencar Clay Aiken is our American Idol runner-up from last season. He's quite femmy but the young girls don't realize it. Very funny, really.
02-09-04 11:20 PM
BILL PERKS QUEEN WAS A TREMENDOUS BAND..CHECK OUT THE 86 WEMBLEY DVD OR THEIR LIVE AID PERFORMANCE..THEY WERE PHENOMENAL AND ANY KNOCKING OF BRITISH ROCK IS JUST STUPID..WE WOULDNT BE WASTING OUR TIME HERE IF NOT FOR THE BRITS.
ROLLING STONES
BEATLES
LED ZEPPELIN
THE WHO
QUEEN
CLASH
POLICE
CULT
WHAM!
FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
ALARM
OASIS
THE LIST GOES ON FOREVER...REMEMBER,THEY DID'NT HAVE HAIR METAL BANDS..THAT HONOR BELONGS TO US.
02-09-04 11:23 PM
Prodigal Son They love him because he's the only pop singer out there who they can reasonably sit down and talk about makeup, clothing and hairstyles with. My goodness, he's the new Little Richard, minus the songwriting talent and great music. He just LOOKS like a woman, too. Poor Gay, er, Clay Aiken. Man, if he ain't gay he's most likely a virgin for life.
02-10-04 09:05 AM
Zeeta
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Queen are still rock kings

Bullshit and they never were or will be!

[IMO!!!]
02-10-04 09:24 AM
Factory Girl Queen were just awful. They were Thump rock version of Celine Dion.
02-10-04 09:26 AM
Maxlugar Certainly, Jeff Beck came in second, no?

Mack +Y!
02-10-04 09:30 AM
egon wether you like their music or not that band kicked ass.
freddie was one of the greatest frontmen.
02-10-04 09:30 AM
Doxa I remember the warm summer '86 when I was visiting for the first time the capital of rock music, London. Hmm, I was a kid then... Queen was playing at the time at Wembley and I was so surprised how BIG they were! It seems like the whole city was talking about them - you see their pictures, t-shirts, record sleeves everywhere. For me, as a Finn, Queen was "just another band" - in fact they had a very bad reputation at time because of the South Africa; they played in the Sun City, and because of that were banned in Scandinavia, or something like that, can't remember very clearly any more.

But anyhow, I couldn't care an inch of them, but I wanted to experience the famous atmosphere of Wembley, so I went to see them. Funny, someone mentioned Alarm above; they were the first warm up act, another was Status Quo, the band that I think was more popular than Queen in Finland at the time.

About the show, it was a spectacular but I wasn't very impressed of the music itself. But later, since the death of Mercury, I have learned to like their stuff, although I am not a big fan yet (in fact, at all). But Queen seem to have the same kind of self-secure and self-sufficient attitude like the Stones have, and surely Freddie belongs as a personal and intelligent performer and frontman (almost) to the rank of Jagger. I think musically and mentally they are much nearer the Stones than, let's say, simple minded rockbands like Aerosmith or Guns'n Roses. Those latter groups will not come up with "Emotional Rescue" or "Miss You" by saying "Fuck you one-track minded rock fans, we do what we wanna do, and we do it with a grace and a grin!", if you know what I mean?

Doxa

Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH