ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod Stewart on "Sweet Virginia"? Return to archive
5th February 2008 06:20 AM
corgi37 I never knew this. Is it true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_on_Main_St.
5th February 2008 06:50 AM
Monster it might be time for a stomache pump?

5th February 2008 07:12 AM
Sioux
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I never knew this. Is it true?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_on_Main_St.

Don't know...but why not? I always wanted to be Kathi McDonald...
5th February 2008 09:04 AM
rocker I always liked it when the brit rockers did disco. As i've gotten older ive come to appreciate disco more. Sometimes it got over criticized by the rocker crowd. Yes some of it was bad, but some of it was hot as hell.

You cant criticize this song without criticizing Miss You. They are both "for on the floor" as Mr. Watts would say.
5th February 2008 09:22 AM
rocker I meant "four on the floor."

In other words, kicking on all four beats on the floor drum
5th February 2008 10:17 AM
Mr.D

What are we supposed to e looking at? I didnt read anything about stewart
5th February 2008 11:12 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Mr.D wrote:

What are we supposed to e looking at? I didnt read anything about stewart

"Additional personnel"

"Rod Stewart – Backing Vocals on Sweet Virginia"
5th February 2008 12:56 PM
Mr.D

Oh rite, cool, didnt see that, ill have a listen again! very cool, i like rod, well faces era rod, didnt like all that balladly poppy stuff, was a good frontmand/vocalist/lyricist back in the day, but like ronnie says in ronnie all he wanted was cars and girls, suppose he stopped tryin after he knew he had it secured
5th February 2008 01:08 PM
SweetVirginia I think I can hear him, particularly in the second chorus.
5th February 2008 02:25 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

"Additional personnel"

"Rod Stewart – Backing Vocals on Sweet Virginia"

they seem to have removed it.

It says that the album wasn't certified platinum until the year 2000?! So ABB didn't do so bad after all, relatively speaking.
[Edited by mrhipfl]
5th February 2008 03:41 PM
luxury1 oh damn, I thought we were seeing some naughty pics of Rod with our very own SV!
5th February 2008 08:28 PM
SweetVirginia I hope he doesn't still have those!!!!

5th February 2008 11:27 PM
glencar Was it the disco song that got you?
6th February 2008 06:35 AM
corgi37 What gets me is that i thought SV was recorded in 68. Rod was a nothing then. Though possibly, a friend of Ronnies.

I too am beginning to appreciate 70's disco. Mainly because at least they played real instuments. I have long love "Disco Inferno"!!! And "Le Freak" is fucking great! With REAL violins, ya'll.

The reason a song like "Miss You" turned me on was that in that era of "four on the floor" that song featured out of sync backing vocals (my fave Stones trick!) and very sloppy, lazy, disorted (if a bit subdued) guitar fills. The 12" of "Miss You" is testimony of how bloody great that sort of music can be.

"Girls will come and go, they're just like street-cars"

INTERESTING FACT: Melbourne has the worlds 3rd largest "street car" network, but we call them trams.

P.P.S - How fucking off topic can one get???
6th February 2008 10:45 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
What gets me is that i thought SV was recorded in 68. Rod was a nothing then. Though possibly, a friend of Ronnies.

It was first attempted in mid 1969, but the Exile version comes from late 1970 at Stargroves.

The backing vocals and all the other fairy dust was done in LA a year later.

Rod Stewart had nothing to do with it. Sounds like someone was taking the piss on wikipedia.
7th February 2008 02:55 AM
wgwalsh The correct name is IAN STEWART.
7th February 2008 03:08 AM
The Wick One of Rod the Mod's few bright spots in the last 20 years of repulsive music he has trotted out is nothing to do with Sweet Virginia but a bloody good song written by Tom Petty called Leave Virginia Alone. Could have been even better if he didn't give it the post Faces and post Rod first two solo albums shine that he puts on all the pieces of crap he has put out. But still a nice track and worth a listen. I think Ian McClagan plays on it, although that may have just been on Saturday Night Live.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)