ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Halftime Show!!! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
4th February 2008 07:02 AM
lotsajizz NO class
4th February 2008 07:40 AM
glimmertwinfan With all those crazy fans running out, there needs to be more energy. Seeing all those kids jumping to "mellow rock" just looks foolish.

And yes, the sound was much better than the Stones show.

Green Day would be a good choice next year.
4th February 2008 09:57 AM
gimmekeef Petty played great..band was tight sounf good and limited pyro crap.Just that his songs are more laid back...Must have been tough spot to step in as 3rd choice after Bruce and the Beagles said no...Enjoyable but not as memorable imho as Stones (yes huge bias..plus Steelers playin) or Prince who kicked ass last year.
4th February 2008 10:11 AM
open-g Has it been up'ed somewhere?

'd like to see it.
4th February 2008 10:14 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
petty looked good, but his voice is going the way of macca's....can't hit the high notes on "free fallin" and "I won't back down" anymore. too bad!

loved his rickies as usual, however...

This is news to you?...he hasn't been able to hit the high notes for some time...he's changed his whole style of songwriting because of it...I think he's wrote the same song for the last 20 years...sometimes he plays it backwards just to keep it fresh
4th February 2008 10:18 AM
open-g er, found it

[Edited by open-g]
4th February 2008 10:36 AM
Joey
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Out-fucking-standing!!!

America's biggest sports event and one of our finest "homegrown" Rock N Roll Bands.

Great combo!!!

Petty and the Heartbreakers were a great choice and delivered!!!

Told ya they'd do American Girl!!!!

Bravo!!!

LJ.

Outstanding Performance .

I would have loved to have seen The Eagles ...... but WTF ?!

www.EAGLESBAND.com

Joey Henley ! ™
4th February 2008 10:38 AM
Martha What guitar is Mike playing on Am. Girl
Won't Back Down? I couldn't identify it.

I LOVE this band and know if I could lie underneath Mike Campbell while he plays that guitar and makes that glorious healing sound all the pain that I live with daily would leave my body and I would never be sick again. I think it would take 3 songs to accomplish this medical miracle. :-) Music is my medicine.

What a performance. I thought it was incredible. I'm VERY ready to rock.

Play all night!

xxoo,
Martha

PS Joey, it's snowing here today.
4th February 2008 10:48 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Martha wrote:
What guitar is Mike playing on Am. Girl
Won't Back Down? I couldn't identify it.

I LOVE this band and know if I could lie underneath Mike Campbell while he plays that guitar and makes that glorious healing sound all the pain that I live with daily would leave my body and I would never be sick again. I think it would take 3 songs to accomplish this medical miracle. :-) Music is my medicine.

What a performance. I thought it was incredible. I'm VERY ready to rock.

Play all night!

xxoo,
Martha

PS Joey, it's snowing here today.

Martha...so glad you enjoyed it!....Music is so much a feeling and we all get different vibes.Just wish sometimes people would remember their opinion is just that..an opinion
4th February 2008 10:49 AM
Joey " This is news to you?...he hasn't been able to hit the high notes for some time...he's changed his whole style of songwriting because of it...I think he's wrote the same song for the last 20 years...sometimes he plays it backwards just to keep it fresh "

****** SIGH !!! ********

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4th February 2008 11:06 AM
Martha
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Martha...so glad you enjoyed it!....Music is so much a feeling and we all get different vibes.Just wish sometimes people would remember their opinion is just that..an opinion

Thank you darlin'. I get my strength and solace from music. Without it I couldn't handle living in this world of woe. Hugs and kisses!

Martha
4th February 2008 11:19 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Joey wrote:
" This is news to you?...he hasn't been able to hit the high notes for some time...he's changed his whole style of songwriting because of it...I think he's wrote the same song for the last 20 years...sometimes he plays it backwards just to keep it fresh "

****** SIGH !!! ********

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shameless
4th February 2008 11:23 AM
gimmekeef A guy who starts a thread about strippers a-holes...has shame?..lol..hes just more looney than most..but harmless

(wait 10 secs for the Gary Coleman hands on hips pic)
4th February 2008 11:41 AM
Fiji Joe
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
A guy who starts a thread about strippers a-holes...has shame?..lol..hes just more looney than most..but harmless

(wait 10 secs for the Gary Coleman hands on hips pic)

Harmless?...Check the sexual predator list for his zip code...and then get back with me
4th February 2008 11:51 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Harmless?...Check the sexual predator list for his zip code...and then get back with me

Nothing found on one Joeykins...but there were multiple citings for one Blowey.....Developing
4th February 2008 02:35 PM
rollmops The stage was great but Tom Petty didn't move at all. The music was good of course but stage presence, nada!!! Mick "fucking" Jagger is, in comparison, such a fantastic performer. Entertaining and exciting to watch. The Stones were a lot better last year, no doubt!!
Rock and roll,
Mops
4th February 2008 02:58 PM
Joey
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Lil Fiji..I just got a feeling that in 15 or 20 years, you're gonna be somebody...maybe like a writer or something"
4th February 2008 04:22 PM
MRD8 Who gives a fu** about "stage presence? The music is all that matters and Petty KICKED ASS!!! I have to chuckle when I see so many wankers in here post crap about how other bands(Springsteen, Petty, The Eagles) stage is so lame compared to the Stones...thats because other bands don't have to rely on huge screens, blow up dolls and ten backup musicians...they just stand there and play great music...the Stones should take notice and make the music the number one priority of their shows!
4th February 2008 05:10 PM
fireontheplatter thank you for posting the tom petty videos open g.
mr petty is a bona fide rocker...absolutly brillient.

i thought the game was great...the last 2 minutes were the best in football i can remember. i mean the way manning escaped that mass he was in to make that throw to whats his face was, well...unbelieveable

congrats to the giants
4th February 2008 05:51 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
Who gives a fu** about "stage presence? The music is all that matters and Petty KICKED ASS!!! I have to chuckle when I see so many wankers in here post crap about how other bands(Springsteen, Petty, The Eagles) stage is so lame compared to the Stones...thats because other bands don't have to rely on huge screens, blow up dolls and ten backup musicians...they just stand there and play great music...the Stones should take notice and make the music the number one priority of their shows!

I agree with most of this post, the music should always be the number one priority. But stage presence and improvisation is extremely important at music shows, especially rock n' roll shows. If the band is just gonna stand there and play their songs note for note the way it was recorded in the studio I'd rather stay at home and listen to the record because the excitement and spontenuity is completely gone.
4th February 2008 05:59 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
But stage presence and improvisation is extremely important at music shows, especially rock n' roll shows.

Improvisation?

TP + HB had twelve minutes to play four songs.
Those songs were cut, not extended.

If you want stretched out jams and spontaneous one offs, the Super Bowl is the last place you'll find that.
4th February 2008 06:42 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Improvisation?

TP + HB had twelve minutes to play four songs.
Those songs were cut, not extended.

I realize that. When I say improvise I don't mean extend I just mean go into a solo without knowing what you're gonna play and how long you're gonna play it.
4th February 2008 06:53 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I agree with most of this post, the music should always be the number one priority. But stage presence and improvisation is extremely important at music shows, especially rock n' roll shows. If the band is just gonna stand there and play their songs note for note the way it was recorded in the studio I'd rather stay at home and listen to the record because the excitement and spontenuity is completely gone.

I agree though Pink Floyd sure made some money that way...
4th February 2008 06:54 PM
robpop Bring back Up With People.
4th February 2008 07:04 PM
Bitch Petty was good but he was shy, it looked like he was afraid to let loose, so he kept his performance 'safe' and controlled. Songs were played good, but I wonder if he was a bit intimidated by the spectacle of the Super Bowl and uncomfortable being on TV. Its a different audience than he's used to playing for ~ its not a room full of fans who paid to see him. Petty did good, but not as enthusiastic as MICK & THE STONES!!! Petty can't match their energy ~ he's so mellow!
4th February 2008 07:04 PM
robpop
quote:
HardKnoxDurtySox wrote:

Scintillating off-season moves by the Buccos this winter eh?

HA! I was going to respond with some nasty comment, until I saw where you are from. Now its just plain funny.

Yeah. Their offseason signings is the reason why I changed my avatar to the P.
4th February 2008 07:42 PM
Sioux
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
thank you for posting the tom petty videos open g.
mr petty is a bona fide rocker...absolutly brillient.

i thought the game was great...the last 2 minutes were the best in football i can remember. i mean the way manning escaped that mass he was in to make that throw to whats his face was, well...unbelieveable

congrats to the giants

Yep, those last 2 minutes were as good as Boise State's win in the Fiesta Bowl over Oklahoma last year... Wow.

Petty was Petty. GREAT songs and musicianship. Campbell was having a great time. I loved it. "Free Fallin'" was interesting...more subdued than usual, but good. And ending it with "Runnin' Down A Dream" was perfect! Especially in retrospect...
4th February 2008 07:48 PM
gimmekeef Petty will be seen as legendary next year when we're subjected to Hannah Montana.....
4th February 2008 08:11 PM
robpop Petty, no matter what your opinion of him was, still beat the hell out of plan A.
4th February 2008 08:21 PM
mojoman
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I realize that. When I say improvise I don't mean extend I just mean go into a solo without knowing what you're gonna play and how long you're gonna play it.

like the grateful dead?
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)