ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Sun Bowl, El Paso, TX - 20th October 2006
© El Paso Times with thanks to Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: A Love Revolution (nsc) Return to archive
1st February 2008 08:34 AM
lotsajizz I saw Lenny Kravitz for my twelth time last night. He is always good for a solid rockin' show and did not disappoint. As I am clearly a fan, I am biased, but his new material sounds super. He opened with his rockin' new single (Bring It On) and his piano ballad from the new album (I'll Be Waiting) simply burned until it exploded into a fireball of a soulful ending. At the end (but before the encore), Lenny did his hippie-preacher-soulman thang and came into the crowd, going about halfway up the stands. The crowd always sang along on that tune (Let Love Rule) but this time they sang in two part harmony with call and response thrown in! Most impressive. It was a crowd heavy on the female side--more than half--Lenny seems to bring out the ladies. he ditched the shades after the second song. He's wearing a short afro these days and came on stage clad in black jeans and a leather shirt/vest thing. It was also good to see he brings out a racially integrated audience as it seems so much music is polarized as far as the crowds go nowadays. Anyway, I recommend seeing him this tour and the new album (out next week) sounds like another winner.

here's the setlist as I can recall....
Bring It On
Dig In
Mama Said
Mr. Cab Driver
Lady
Again
What The Fuck Are We Saying
Where Are We Running
If You Want It
Believe
I’ll Be Waiting
American Woman
Fly Away
Let Love Rule
Are You Gonna Go My Way

He came on about 8:45 and played 'till 10:25...a little disappointing. But then again my tickets cost $40.00 as compared to the Stones!!

Other notes--his band rules, tight, Craig Ross still on guitar--a fine axeman...Cindy's not on drums this tour but the new dude was impressive

drunks at shows annoy me more now

I went solo, the wife was on call, and my buddy was on vacay...sold the extra for face and then met the guy who bought it when he came to the seat next to me and he said he paid twice that!! If I only had patience.....

[Edited by lotsajizz]
[Edited by lotsajizz]
1st February 2008 10:48 AM
TampabayStone Seen him several times and always enjoyed myself. I seen him open for the Cult at a free concert at gainesville a long time ago. LAst time, when he was doing his love thing in the crowed, he got poked in the eye.
1st February 2008 11:38 AM
lotsajizz By JAY N. MILLER
For The Patriot Ledger

You’re really reaching when the only negative thing you can say about a 100-minute concert is that it was too short.
But Lenny Kravitz’ music last night at the Orpheum was so joyously infectious, the capacity crowd of 2,800 couldn’t complain about anything else.
Kravitz, whose new album ‘‘It Is Time For A Love Revolution,’’ doesn’t drop until Tuesday, stuck mostly to his greatest hits, with just three new songs among the 14 in his set. But with charisma like his, and a potent blend of rock, funk and soul, the delighted, all-ages throng sang and danced along all night. When Kravitz’ main set ended with a lengthy a capella audience sing-along on ‘‘Let Love Rule,’’ it was obvious the man had his congregation converted.
Kravitz’ backing quartet was enhanced by trumpet and saxophone, and it added soul power to Kravitz’ best hits. The new ‘‘Bring It On’’ opened the show with a blast of retro-sounding funk-rock, as Kravitz, in black-leather jacket and sunglasses, strode the stage. A bit later, that horn section added a new punch to ‘‘Always On the Run,’’ whose subtle funk groove owes as much to Sly Stone as any of the other retro influences associated with the songwriter.
‘‘Mr. Cabdriver’’ was another funk-centered piece, heavy on the bass and almost a march, its lyrics depicting racial slights in New York City. The crackling guitar interplay between Kravitz and Craig Ross made ‘‘Lady’’ a sizzling number, and Kravitz’ final guitar solo was a sinuous, sensual gem.
‘‘Again’’ is one of those uniquely Kravitz-ian songs, an evocative soul ballad that also works as gritty rock; Kravitz’ passionate vocal had the ladies swooning, while Ross’ brain-curdling guitar solo had everyone gaping.
Kravitz used just acoustic guitar rhythms, with Ross providing some finger-picked melody, for a powerfully moving ‘‘Stillness of Heart’’ that proved how skilled a vocalist he really is. The new tune ‘‘I’ll be Waiting’’ found Kravitz at upright piano for the steamy, slow-building ballad, as Ross played a stunning coda with phase-shifter guitar effects.
Kravitz surely revitalized the Guess Who’s moldy old hit ‘‘American Woman’’ with his reworking several years ago, and last night’s version had all 2,800 fans lurching along to its herky-jerky rhythms. ‘‘Fly Away’’ was a soaring anthem, but just an appetizer.
Kravitz’ ‘‘Let Love Rule’’ sounds like something John Lennon wrote in 1970, but its easy midtempo groove was fired up last night with an organ line, and a torrid tenor sax solo. Then, Kravitz spoke to the crowd, proclaiming ‘‘We need to change the hearts of those greedy notherfuckers who run this world ... with love, peace, understanding and communication..’’ It may be naive and simplistic, but about that time many in the Orpheum were wondering if Kravitz could still get on the ballot before Super Tuesday. The song ended with a mass, Kravitz-conducted sing-along.
The lone encore of ‘‘Are You Going to Go My Way?’’ was a wild guitar squall of pounding funk-rock: perfect yet too brief.

2nd February 2008 10:04 PM
Bitch Yeah ~ I was there too! Hammerstein Ballroom at 34th & 8th, a nice club show! It was packed for a cold and rainy night, and everyone had to give up your umbrellas on the way in and there were trash cans filled with umbrellas! No Unbrella's Allowed! Sure glad I forgot mine in the car .

OK Lenny was on fire & his band rocked the house! FVCKING AWESOME ASS KICKING PERFORMANCE! And, I got some live footage of the finale, GOOD quality on my new Sony digital cam! You guys are going to be impressed! Watch out! Part 2 kicks serious rock&roll butt!!

I took some cool pics of LENNY! He is seriously HOT!

[Edited by Bitch]
3rd February 2008 05:08 AM
pdog do you know why he cancelled his SF show last week?
3rd February 2008 01:21 PM
robpop I saw him last on the tour he did with the Black Crows. He blew the Crows away.
3rd February 2008 03:15 PM
lotsajizz the Crowes were pathetic that tour...Chris' shirt summed it up, remember?
3rd February 2008 03:51 PM
robpop
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
the Crowes were pathetic that tour...Chris' shirt summed it up, remember?

No. What did it say?
3rd February 2008 04:36 PM
guitarman53 He'll never be another Hendrix, that's for sure.
3rd February 2008 04:45 PM
Bitch

I got the video up ~ Are You Gonna Go My Way ~ part 1 finale ~ I KNOW you are gonna like it!
(serious man)

[Edited by Bitch]
3rd February 2008 05:30 PM
Bitch

Here's part 2 ~ the finale~ Are You Gonna Go My Way

This is fvcking amazing! True!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)